"All it needs is a timing belt"... Bringing a 98 LX 470 back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a friend with a lift who is a cruiserhead. We rebooted the CVs. Very happy to report that the drive axle hubs and CV splines are in great shape. No pictures because my hands were covered in grease. This is all I could muster. I'm aware that I just needed to turn the CV around here and I'd have the picture of the splines. I was deep "in the zone". The Wrenching Zone.

Also happy to report that the wheel bearings are in great shape. Based on the silicone I found and the overall good shape of things, I think that someone has been in here fairly recently putting in new drive hubs. Only one boot was torn but we did both inners. Outers are fine.

Working at chest level is amazing. So much more access and leverage. I need one of these lifts in my life. @wngrog has it right.

cv.jpg
cv1.jpg

So driving up to my friend's house in Vancleave I realized that I must admit defeat on the power steering pump. I've flushed the fluid, cleaned the screen in the reservoir, let it warm up, and even added the teaspoon of Downey. She's still whining like a grounded 6 year old kid. New one will be here by the weekend. Another thing that would have been super easy with the engine out. Oh well, nothing to do now but to do it.

I'm draining the rear diff and I can't figure out the oil viscosity. I also am using a FSM for an 04, which mentions an LSD axle. Did the 98 LX 470 come with an LSD Option? Anyone know what the axle code is for that? This truck's axle code is A04B. Anyone know how to tell what that is?

I use Mobil 1 75W-90 LS in all gear boxes. Torque plugs, with new washer, to 36FT-lbf on diff plugs and 27ft-lbf on transfer case.

I use Mobil 1 ATF in power steering. Bleed wheel up engine off, than wheels down engine on. By simple turning steering wheel slowly stop to stop 3 times, hold at stops for 3 sec.

I use Mobil 1 75W-90 LS in all gear boxes. Torque plugs, with new washer, to 36FT-lbf on diff plugs and 27ft-lbf on transfer case.

I use Mobil 1 ATF in power steering. Bleed wheel up engine off, than wheels down engine on. By simple turning steering wheel slowly stop to stop 3 times, hold at stops for 3 sec.
That's exactly what I did for the steering fluid. I used Toyota WS ATF because I already had a few quarts of that.

Several on mud report that the 98 and 99 LX's came with an LSD. The FSM I have says use LSD SAE 90, GL-5. I see that LSD straight weight 90 is actually a thing. I'm sure the clutches are shot by now.

I'm draining the rear diff and I can't figure out the oil viscosity. I also am using a FSM for an 04, which mentions an LSD axle. Did the 98 LX 470 come with an LSD Option? Anyone know what the axle code is for that? This truck's axle code is A04B. Anyone know how to tell what that is?

LSD was standard on a 1998 LX. It should have a sticker that looks like this:

LSD pic.jpg

M1 full synthetic 75W-90 LS, is LSD rate. It and regular 80W-90 or 90W gear lube, is all GL5. Which LS works in all limited slip, and is fine for none slip. You just don't want a none LS in a LS differential.

M1 ATF is worth a try for ~$12, which is much cheaper than new vane pump. I love M1 ATF, in 98-02 transmission and 98- up power steering.

M1 full synthetic 75W-90 LS, is LSD rate. It and regular 80W-90 or 90W gear lube, is all GL5. Which LS works in all limited slip, and is fine for none slip. You just don't want a none LS in a LS differential.

M1 ATF is worth a try for ~$12, which is much cheaper than new vane pump. I love M1 ATF, in 98-02 transmission and 98- up power steering.

I spoke to the Guru on the mountain (@orangefj45) and he said to change the oil to oil with the LSD additive and to get it from Toyota. So I sent the parts girl to the dealer and this is what she came back with. Dealer said this is what Toyota and Lexus have all changed to. Not sure how I feel about the Ford oil... I do like the reflection in the paint that @CarterB341 worked on. Still looking good.

oil.jpg

The bottle of Service Rite has the LS additive in it- did they also suggest they were adding the friction mod as well?

Seems silly to add the modifier to lsd -oil. If it starts grabbing in the turns you know you got to much friction in it.😉

FYI- service-rite is trademarked product of SERVICE Toyota distributors- (but who’s oil are they’re using )?

So 12 solid hours on the LX today.

• Diff drained and refilled with LSD oil. I warmed the old oil up as much as one could on a 31 degree morning when you can't go on the interstate because the truck isn't insured or registered...
  • O2 sensor changed
  • MAF sensor changed (I realize this is not hard...)
  • Passenger seat replaced with a new Richmond Auto seat bottom. Good quality. But boy was it a fight.
  • Lots of steam cleaning. Seats, carpet, arm rests trim, seat belts. Steam is awesome.

Before and after on the seat

seat before.jpg
after seat.jpg

I thought it was odd that you didn't see it - it's a pretty darn tough sticker.

I decided to clean off the housing to put a LSD sticker, so I took a brush to it, It was like a scratch off game when it was revealed!

One of the more unique items in this car....

View attachment 2909739
When I first got my 99 it had that same lovely 12v Audiovox VCR up in the front passenger footwell. I'm assuming you also have the corresponding giant hole cut in your headliner for the overhead unit. Whoever the original owner of mine went to for the install was an absolute hack, when I had the headliner down to fix my sunroof I pulled out literally about 30 feet of excess cabling that was just shoved up there. I'd really love to find another headliner that hasn't been cut out so I can get rid of the damn thing. Anyone in the PNW, if you have a clean ivory headliner, PM me haha...

When I first got my 99 it had that same lovely 12v Audiovox VCR up in the front passenger footwell. I'm assuming you also have the corresponding giant hole cut in your headliner for the overhead unit. Whoever the original owner of mine went to for the install was an absolute hack, when I had the headliner down to fix my sunroof I pulled out literally about 30 feet of excess cabling that was just shoved up there. I'd really love to find another headliner that hasn't been cut out so I can get rid of the damn thing. Anyone in the PNW, if you have a clean ivory headliner, PM me haha...

Do you mean this gem?

screen.jpg

Nice save!

So is this truck gonna be shared?

If by shared you mean sold, yes. And soon. I only have to do the back brakes, finish cleaning the interior, and put on the "LEXUS" trim piece on the hatch and we're done. 99.99% rust free, perfect undercarriage, all the maintenance taken care of, and the next owner can just enjoy it.

Should be done next weekend. Famous last words...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom