"All it needs is a timing belt"... Bringing a 98 LX 470 back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a resuscitation thread for a 1998 LX 470. The truck was offered for sale by @cwilli20 as needing a head gasket. Has a salvage title. Some homeless people lit a fire next to the truck and the fire melted the side marker light and the mirror a bit. This is apparently enough to total the truck in California. Other than that, it looked like a normal LX470 that is 23 years old. Interior in good shape. AC blows cold (very important in South Mississippi). Absolutely zero rust. California car, then Arizona, then Mississippi.

Here is the for sale ad:

@CarterB341 and I agree to look at it and split the expenses 50/50. We broke rule #1 of buying a used car and went to look at it at night. We kept poor Chris out in the cold for 2 hours going over the car. (Sorry about that bud....)

The car runs and drives. Sounds like it has skipped time. No evidence of a head gasket, no white under the oil fill cap, no milky motor oil. OBD2 codes are misfire on cylinder 1,3,5, and 7. We once owned a 2004 Sequoia that had the exact same symptoms. That ended up being 2 bad coil packs and a timing belt that has skipped time. Since the LX 470 has 284,600 miles, we guessed (incorrectly) that the timing belt tensioner had not been replaced and it skipped time. We were right, and we were wrong.... We thought, heck, all it needs is a timing belt and we'll be laughing. We knew there was a chance the engine was bad, but since we are pros are swapping 2UZs (see below), we figured we could do that if we needed to.

2UZ rebuild thread from Carter's Sequoia:

Here she is on the trailer the night we bought it.
trailer.jpg

We get her home, timing covers off, and sure enough, she is 2 teeth out of time. "See, I knew it" we thought. So we ordered a Aisin timing belt kit, Aisin fan belt pulley bracket, side marker lights, valve cover gaskets (it has a mean passenger side valve cover gasket leak), a new mirror, and some other bits and bobs. Fun fact, some parts are Lexus specific and need to be ordered from parts.lexus.com, not parts.toyota.com. Like the parts don't exist in the Toyota parts database or something. At this point, the truck is officially in "Awaiting parts" status.

Last edited:
The parts start to roll in. Good thing that Springhill Toyota and Lexus of Mobile are right next to each other. We dig in. a bunch of stuff.

day shift.jpg

• New Aisin timing belt/water pump kit
  • timing belt tensioner
  • water pump
  • both idler pulley bearings
  • New Aisin fan pulley bracket
  • New serpentine belt tensioner
  • New Aisin thermostat

We got into a groove, and worked late into the dark. Which in December, is about 7 PM.

night shift.jpg

We get the timing belt in, assemble the puzzle pieces that are the front accessories and covers on a 2UZ-FE and start her up. She sounds better, but still not good. Sounds like she is missing. The racket is coming from the driver's side of the engine.

So at this point, we realize that it needs more than a timing belt. You may note that the oil pressure gauge is not moving off zero. We don't know what to make of this. We know that these oil pressure sensors are known to go bad. We run to O'Reilly's to throw in a new oil pressure sensor. no change, still nothing on the gauge. We find this puzzling, because if there was an oil pressure problem surely the engine would have seized by now. We ran it for probably 10 minutes at the sellers' house, then for another 5 minutes after the timing belt was installed.

The date on the oil filter in marker is 12 months ago. We put a new oil filter on, maybe the oil filter is clogged? No change. In hindsight, this was a waste of an oil filter. No change to the oil pressure readings.

Doubt sets in. Hmmm. Let's do a compression check. According to the internet, max pressure is 192 psi, lowest acceptable is 142. Here are the readings:

compression numbers.jpg

Now is the time to say, "Lady, there's your problem..."

Obviously, some the cylinders are carbonized up driving the pressure up. And #5 is not being a team player. We are hoping for a stuck open valve. We pull the valve cover. nope. all four of #5's valves are doing their job.

So we stick a socket extension down the spark plug tube. And press down. The piston head moves down pretty easy. oof. Time for a new engine. Stay tuned folks, for 2UZ-FE swap #2.

Last edited:
We like easy. So we are going with a tundra or sequoia 2UZ. But a 3UR would be nice. Those engines are so big.

Went to look at two candidate engines today. One definitely had not been preserved correctly:bang: and had too many miles anyway. The other one had real bad oil varnishing and had something loose in the engine. So we passed.

We have a line on a much better candidate engine we will check out Sunday. This one could be the one... 🤞

You may as well figure out how to put a 5.7 in it, develop a kit for sale, and get rich.

I'm not real power hungry and I drive pretty conservatively but I recently drove my stepdads '07 Tundra ECLB 4x4 while towing a heavy trailer and it made me a believer. That AB60E 6 speed was super sweet as well.

I'm not real power hungry and I drive pretty conservatively but I recently drove my stepdads '07 Tundra ECLB 4x4 while towing a heavy trailer and it made me a believer. That AB60E 6 speed was super sweet as well.
Absolutely. Son #1 has a 2010 Tundra with the 5.7, I have felt the power. However, I'm not sure that engine will fit in a 100. They are harder to find and more expensive when you do find them.

Fun fact, in a head to head street race, the 2010 Tundra was beaten by a 2011 Infinity QX56 (400 hp).

I had my fingers crossed. I was hoping the motor was going to be salvageable. At the end of the day y’all have given it way more love than I could have. So I’m excited to see the progress.

This happened today. Pulled a beautiful motor from a 2000 LC with 200k miles. We were able to hear it run and do a compression check before we pulled it. Compression came out perfect. Since it is from a LC, no need to change the manifolds, throttle body or harness.

We did have to put a starter in it first to get it to run, which was its own adventure.
46CD89F7-A528-4440-82EB-2284C87BDE96.jpeg

Just to back up a bit:

We show up at the guys house and the truck is on a trailer. That wasn't discussed. They guy said we'd be able to start it by tapping the starter. No amount of tapping was going to get that thing to turn over. After some hemming and hawing, we decided to put a starter in it. The seller paid for the starter. :clap: He goes off to the auto parts store and we get to removing the intake manifold. 90 minutes later (right about when the rain starts coming down), the starter is in and the truck starts right up. Great oil pressure, sounds very smooth, compression is all above 200 psi and within 15 psi of each other. We have a winner. since it was raining, the guy let us use his carport to pull the engine. 6 hours later, the engine is out.

Turns out you actually do need to get ALL the bellhousing bolts out before you can separate the engine from the trans... @CarterB341

Even though the timing belt and water pump was changed on this engine recently, we are going to swap over the Aisin timing belt kit, fan pully bracket, and serpentine tensioner that we bought for the blown motor so she gets a fresh start. New timing belt, water pump, new starter, new coil packs, this engine will be good for another 300k.

Tonight was getting it off the hoist and into a stand. We prepped it for the timing belt, water pump, etc and did the left valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Buttoned her back up with the new Denso coil packs. We’ll do the right side tomorrow.

1.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
9.jpg

They seller said he only used Mobile 1 and after seeing how clean this is after 200k, I believe him.

Great time to inspect manifolds for cracking or stress lines. From a guy who's manifolds just started ticking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom