SOLD Alexandria, VA: 1978 Mustard USDM FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Yellow
Outside Link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NrsTGn1PnJzi9WPXA
This vehicle was purchased a little over 4 years ago; it was an original owner vehicle out of Arizona and was shipped to the East Coast where it has been in covered storage since. Vehicle has not been driven in snow/slush and only once in the rain in my 4 years of ownership. With twin 7 year olds and another classic car, this 40 just doesn't get driven enough and I would rather someone else be able to enjoy the vehicle. I'm hopeful in the coming years as my children get older I'll be able to get back into an FJ.

This is a great truck that has been reliable and I ensured any mechanical and safety related items were fixed as the wife and kids would go out with me, so I wanted to ensure this was a safe and family friendly weekend vehicle. 50+ photos and videos available here

Vehicle Specifics:
  • 1978 USDM FJ40
  • Mustard Yellow
  • 89,XXX original miles
  • One previous owner
  • Title in hand
Maintenance (all done in the last 3 years/1k miles):
  • Oil, transmission and differential fluid change
  • Flush clutch fluid and drain/fill coolant
  • Replaced knuckle bearings, wipers, seals, and gaskets, repacked Birfield Joints, replaced wheel bearings. Bleed brakes.
  • Replaced timing cover gasket and seals
  • Replaced all tie rod ends and rebuilt steering center link
  • Replaced oil pan gasket
  • New weatherstripping on all doors and kick vents
  • Clutch slave cylinder replacement
All maintenance work was performed by Ryan Bascom of OTRAMM (Auto Repair Bealeton VA - Mechanic Near Me - Oil Change - https://otramm.com/), based in Bealeton, Virginia, who is well known in the Land Cruiser community.

Upgrades (all done in the last 3 years/1k miles and by OTRAMM with the exception listed below):
  • OEM Power Steering gear with Saginaw pump (installed by Iron Pig Off Road)
  • 5 OEM Toyota FJ40 wheels with BFG K02 33 x 10.50
  • Old Man Emu 2.5" Light Suspension
  • New OEM Front Bumper
  • New OEM Rear Bumperettes
  • FJ40Dash.com Replacement top dash
  • New OEM Shift knob
  • New OEM rear tail lights + gaskets
  • New front turn signals (originals included)
  • New OEM hood catches
  • New OEM windshield to hood catches
  • New shift lever boot
  • New transfer case shift boot
  • New windshield rest blocks
  • New oil filler cap
  • New Radiator overflow container + top and tube
  • New Side mirrors
  • New OEM antenna
  • New (plastic) Door cards
  • New CityRacer moulded floor mat
  • Heat/Sound deadening laid under front and rear mats
  • New CityRacer rear cargo floor mat
  • New front and rear seat belts
  • New door pull handles
The Good
  • Very solid truck that spent its life in the Southwest and only shows surface rust and has a solid frame
  • Stored in covered storage
  • Great patina
  • A solid driver that has been gone through, sorted, and shouldn't provide the future owner with any mechanical issues.
  • Original glass throughout
  • Original engine
  • All lights/electrics work

The Bad/Items to be addressed (?)
I put a question as most of these are subjective (in my opinion). I try to be as transparent as possible; having purchased multiple cars out of state/sight unseen I do my best to fairly state the condition of the vehicle
  • Previously had a gun rack on the passenger side rear so there are 14 small holes in the tub where this was mounted
  • Holes on the inside of both driver and passenger side door where it meets the door jamb (presumably a previous owner dropped items in the door and decided to cut a small circle out of the door to fish the items out?)
  • Small hole on the floor of the tub, inside cabin by drivers seat/door
  • Drivers side door card should be replaced (small crack in it)
  • No headliner
  • No radio
  • Gasket/Weatherstripping for the roof should be replaced (not an issue for me since it is never driven in the rain and stored in a covered environment)
  • Center console tray removed (but comes with the truck)
  • Drivers seat could use to be recovered (and probably restuffed)
  • Missing headrests for front seats
  • Interior ambulance door latch needs to be rebuilt as it's a bit loose from the inside and is not the easiest to latch/unlatch from the interior (works fine from exterior)
  • Weatherstripping on bottom of the passenger side ambulance door has a small tear in it (requires you to hold it while closing to ensure it fits correctly)
Price, Location, etc.
$26,500 obo
Located in Alexandria, Virginia (5 miles outside of Washington, DC)
Virginia title in hand
Reputable eBay member with 800+ feedback for anyone who is considering purchasing from a distance
Happy to assist with shipping

52 photos available here

IMG_1903.jpg

Last edited:
This vehicle was purchased a little over 4 years ago; it was an original owner vehicle out of Arizona and was shipped to the East Coast where it has been in covered storage since. Vehicle has not been driven in snow/slush and only once in the rain in my 4 years of ownership. With twin 7 year olds and another classic car, this 40 just doesn't get driven enough and I would rather someone else be able to enjoy the vehicle. I'm hopeful in the coming years as my children get older I'll be able to get back into an FJ.

This is a great truck that has been reliable and I ensured any mechanical and safety related items were fixed as the wife and kids would go out with me, so I wanted to ensure this was a safe and family friendly weekend vehicle. 52 photos available here

Vehicle Specifics:
  • 1978 USDM FJ40
  • Mustard Yellow
  • 89,XXX original miles
  • One previous owner
  • Title in hand
  • Replaced knuckle bearings, wipers, seals, and gaskets, repacked Birfield Joints, replaced wheel bearings. Bleed brakes.
All maintenance work was performed by Ryan Bascom of OTRAMM (Auto Repair Bealeton VA - Mechanic Near Me - Oil Change - https://otramm.com/), based in Bealeton, Virginia, who is well known in the Land Cruiser community.

Upgrades (all done in the last 3 years/1k miles and by OTRAMM with the exception listed below):
  • New OEM Front Bumper
  • New OEM Shift knob
  • New OEM hood catches
  • New shift lever boot
  • New oil filler cap
  • New Side mirrors
  • New OEM antenna
  • New door pull handles
The Good
  • Very solid truck that spent its life in the Southwest and only shows surface rust and has a solid frame
  • Great patina
  • A solid driver that has been gone through, sorted, and shouldn't provide the future owner with any mechanical issues.
  • Original engine

I put a question as most of these are subjective (in my opinion). I try to be as transparent as possible; having purchased multiple cars out of state/sight unseen I do my best to fairly state the condition of the vehicle
  • Previously had a gun rack on the passenger side rear so there are 14 small holes in the tub where this was mounted
  • Holes on the inside of both driver and passenger side door where it meets the door jamb (presumably a previous owner dropped items in the door and decided to cut a small circle out of the door to fish the items out?)
  • No headliner
  • No radio
  • Gasket/Weatherstripping for the roof should be replaced (not an issue for me since it is never driven in the rain and stored in a covered environment)
  • Interior ambulance door latch needs to be rebuilt as it's a bit loose from the inside and is not the easiest to latch/unlatch from the interior (works fine from exterior)
  • Weatherstripping on bottom of the passenger side ambulance door has a small tear in it (requires you to hold it while closing to ensure it fits correctly)
Price, Location, etc.
$28,000 obo
Virginia title in hand
Reputable eBay member with 800+ feedback for anyone who is considering purchasing from a distance

52 photos available here

View attachment 3476944
A quick driving video from earlier this morning; I left the car outside overnight where the temperature got down to 33°.

The truck fired right up, a little bit before noon at approximately 48°. I will be posting a cold start video in the coming days as I forgot to do so today.

Last edited:
Trying an iCloud link as the Google video was having trouble uploading and wasn’t clear

Nice color and patina, glws!

356 Registry, I have a C Coupe... Landcruisers and 356s are good combo!

Couldn't agree more! Sad I can only drive one at a time...hence the sale.

Thanks!

Folks have been asking for some videos of lights working and a cold start; please see below.

The truck has been with my mechanic and it got down to ~34 degrees last night; I stopped by this AM to drop off a part around 10AMET and it was about 45 degrees and started the truck up.

Deposit received. Sale pending.

See post on 12/6 for update; truck is still for sale.

Last edited:
Pending sale has fallen through and the truck is still for sale. The buyer who placed a deposit hadn’t gotten approval from his family to replace his 60-series with a 40. Nothing related to the truck, condition, etc.

Pending sale has fallen through and the truck is still for sale. The buyer who placed a deposit hadn’t gotten approval from his family to replace his 60-series with a 40. Nothing related to the truck, condition, etc.
family = wife ;)

wife = didn't actually have the money.
It was me. I can assure you that money isn’t the issue, but so many guys on car forums have it all figured out.

First, let me say that the seller is top notch. I’ve bought, enjoyed and sold a lot of classic 4x4’s (I’m not an flipper, I’m a car nut and want them all but can only have one at a time due to space and busy family life). The seller’s communication, transparency and willingness to provide any and all information is what every potential buyer hopes for. I have zero reservations about this 40 and its condition as represented.

Back to my issue, it actually wasn’t my wife as much as my 10 yr old and 6 yr old boys. They (and my wife, too) suddenly had strong feelings about my 60 when I was prepping it for a couple of potential buyers to look at. All was fine until this stage, as this was post-deposit. I don’t have room for two “toy” cars in my garage, and no the 60 sale wasn’t contingent on me getting this 40. I’m actually still trying to get them to come around, but they have valid points about uses with the 60 that we’d give up with a 40. I’ve had old cars that were just for me, and it zaps the fun when some or all of the family can’t come along. This was an 11th hour development. I was actually arranging shipping for the 40 when the family hit me with all their concerns and terrible timing. So now everyone can stop inserting their bs and get back to positive comments about this great 40.

how was the rust on the frame?

I was one of the parties interested in CruiserSteve84‘s 60 and we were in contact after he put the deposit down on the 40. Things played out exactly as he noted above. He’s a no BS kind of guy and as straight of a shooter as you’ll ever find. Now that the highly speculative comments have been addressed by him, hopefully folks can move along and someone will buy this solid 40.

Last edited:
how was the rust on the frame?
Rust on the frame was limited to surface rust which easily came off with a wire wheel

This is a great truck that has been reliable and I ensured any mechanical and safety related items were fixed as the wife and kids would go out with me, so I wanted to ensure this was a safe and family friendly weekend vehicle. 52 photos available here

Vehicle Specifics:
  • 1978 USDM FJ40
  • Mustard Yellow
  • 89,XXX original miles
  • One previous owner
  • Title in hand

• New OEM Front Bumper
  • New OEM Shift knob
  • New OEM hood catches
  • New shift lever boot
  • New oil filler cap
  • New Side mirrors
  • New OEM antenna
  • New door pull handles
The Good
  • Great patina
  • Original engine

• No headliner
  • No radio
Price, Location, etc.
$28,000 obo
Virginia title in hand

52 photos available here

View attachment 3476944

Updated price - $26,500

That's a really good price. If we didn't have our Mustard '76 already I would buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom