Alaskan Cruiser Build Newbie Question/Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ907Warrior

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy from Alaska!

Long time lurker, recently registered after buying a combo deal of FJ40 series projects.
Purchased a 1971, 73, 77 in various stages of rusting away or dismantle.
Turned around and traveled 400 miles for a 1972 TUB in really good, rust free shape!
Then two weeks later traveled again to nab up 2 PTO gear boxes, a OEM winch and complete front driveline set (Still need a pto shifter, might modify the dash transfer case shifter for now)
Its all coming together surprisingly well for being in remote Alaska!
My hopes are to rebuild the 72 tub, using the 4speed and 2F from the 77.
Starting at the frame, already bare with axles attached. Planning to sandblast in the upcoming weeks then use POR15.

My first question is... how have you sandblasted the inside of the square [] channeling of the frame? Cut the rivets and separate the channel inside and outside pieces or is there a tool/wand I can use to sandblast? (Thinking of making my own wand, like a pig tail I can twist and pull along the frame) Prior projects (1956 GMC and 1928 Model AA) have always had [ channels the entire length of the frame, and I have not ran into this before.

Apricate any advice and tips along the way, probably be sticking to this thread on updates.

1IMG_20220530_151515.jpg

1IMG_20220615_055813.jpg

1IMG_20220625_105608.jpg

Hell of a task so far from civilization. Well, at least Cruiser parts havens. Looks like a fun project though.

Only way I've seen/had inside of the frame cleaned was by dipping it in paint removing acid. Takes a big shop with enough room and liquid to pull that off.

Great project in a great place and landscape!

Welcome mate in the Mud/Mad :flipoff2:
I am pretty sure that here you can get answers to your questions!

Last edited:
Hell of a task so far from civilization. Well, at least Cruiser parts havens. Looks like a fun project though.

Only way I've seen/had inside of the frame cleaned was by dipping it in paint removing acid. Takes a big shop with enough room and liquid to pull that off.
Got nothing local for an acid bath locally. Sounds like it would do the trick.

There was a paint shop in the industrial area by the RR depot/port in Anchorage that was designed to do rail cars, busses and other large vehicles. I wonder if they can acid dip? No idea the business name, but I recall reading about it a couple years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom