Builds AK HJ-75 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is pic where you see the "trim" protector I put around the lights.
03cf5a3a-ce69-4689-b6eb-1e6efa2e4e6b-jpeg.2375321
I was also thinking of doing something like that

This is my current plan for the tire carrier part. Do you think this would take care of any twisting tendencies you are talking about?
I am not an engineer -- but i play one on TV... hard for me to put words, so here is a picure. no matter how much bracing you do, the issue is that this long section going up from your arm will want to move forward and back, and no additional structure will resist that twist. Only the thicker bottom section will change this. It has been many moons; however, I just found an old thread talking about the flex on the 4x4 labs arms, so everyone was using 1/4 wall.
1679252133081.png

Last edited:
On FOO, I took the factory lens, and then used led strip lights behind them, to make a slimmer profile, as I really wanted a 40 series rear look. here is link....

You can see on this post the end result.... basically took led strip lights which are waterproof and hot glued them to a backer and wired it all up. Crude, but gave me the look I wanted....

On the swing arm, it seems that the lower arm is the key, as the upright part is trying to twist it back and forth front and back. So just the lower part needs that thickness to keep it from twisting.

I have the same tailgate issue on my 40, so I think that I mounted the strut on the face of the bumper. I will take a pic of my swingarm when i get out to the barn again.

check out this pin track..

I watched the video and my big reaction was, damn, they used imperial fasteners, and also some custom tooling.

If anyone is going down this rabbit hole as well, I am getting ready to make swing outs for my 73 series, on the 4x4labs bumper I welded up last year.... However, I want to do something where the swing outs work with the doors... I know some vendor has this as well. I saw it on some equipment years ago, so hoping to figure out the engineering to make that happen. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If anyone is going down this rabbit hole as well, I am getting ready to make swing outs for my 73 series, on the 4x4labs bumper I welded up last year.... However, I want to do something where the swing outs work with the doors... I know some vendor has this as well. I saw it on some equipment years ago, so hoping to figure out the engineering to make that happen. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If I didn't already have the kaymar. I would have tried to get the Uneek 76 rear bar which is basically the same thing as the Kaymar but swing out work with the door behind the spare tire. The kaymar doesn't have this feature.

Rear Bar and Tyre Carrier To Suit Toyota LandCruiser 76/78 Series 07 on - https://www.uneek4x4.com.au/rear-bar-and-tyre-carrier-to-suit-toyota-landcruiser-76-78-series-07-on/

Here is a video of it. The feature is shown right about 0:47.

Doesn’t the bumper from cruiser outfitters already do that, or is a option?

@FJ73Texas You are my hero!!

Oh, I can smell the burning metal already!!!

@coldtaco yes, that is the one. But I have a 4x4 labs custom bumper...

Last edited:
Doesn’t the bumper from cruiser outfitters already do that, or is a option?

Correct, both our LH swing (accessory/fuel) and right hand tire carrier work directly with the doors, no additional latch mechanism.

1679353656038.jpeg

1679353641742.jpeg

1679353676020.jpeg

1679353697556.jpeg

@cruiseroutfit - is there a link the page for them on your site?

Nothing on our site currently. They've never been in stock long enough to worry about trying hard to sell them. :D

The idea is cool , but I would assume you take away maybe 50% of the stress from the door . Maybe!
But nevertheless it is an improvement, from the stock wheel holder

The idea is cool , but I would assume you take away maybe 50% of the stress from the door . Maybe!
But nevertheless it is an improvement, from the stock wheel holder

It takes far more than that. 100% the wight of the tire and/or jerry cans, etc are now supported by the bumper. The door is simply holding the carrier shut. This design has been in use from our bumper fabricator (ExpOne) for a few decades on other models and we've sold a fair number our 7x offering with zero door issues. We include inner reinforcement plates for the LH door (as none existed from the factory).

I Belive that there are zero issues on this project , and it is road tested extensively .
Also the stock solution is reliable .
I only wished to highlight the back/front support is still held from the door .
The swing bar is holding the gross weight .
More far is the weight from the door , bigger will be the leverage and stress on the door .
Pure mechanics .
Despite all this it is still an improvement from the stock wheel holder .
But we are also adding some extra kg in an area that is not ideal .

I am not even considering the Jerry can holder .
That is a week end stuff .
For serious overlanding extra fuel must stay in a different place

Nothing on our site currently. They've never been in stock long enough to worry about trying hard to sell them. :D

I hope that you make some 77 series versions in the future.

I hope that you make some 77 series versions in the future.

I suspect your asking for 77 length side wings in particular?

No current plans, the bandwidth to get these made is so tough at current that making a new offerings is unlikely. At current we sell everyone we can get made so it would be irresponsible to offer something new that we can't reasonably fulfill on imo. Based on sales volume, a 75/78 troopy variant would come before the 77.

The current bumpers work and fit well on the 77 imo, for those needing additional side protection behind the rear axle, we have other offerings (Kaymar, Gobi, etc).

1679428618091.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom