Airbags vs. Weight Distributing Hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious what the experiences have been utilizing airbags to level a vehicle with a heavy tongue weight vs. a weight distributing hitch. When I towed my new-to-me Jayco Baja popup (used to be Ron's) last summer, the amount of rear suspension compression of the 100 was pretty significant. I did my best to put heavy stuff aft of the axle on the popup to try to reduce the tongue weight but it didn't really help. Plus, I had the whole family and additional large quantities of crap in the rear cargo area of the 100.

There's a pretty lengthy thread in the 100-series section for people who have installed airbags, mostly AirLift, to accomplish the load leveling. The overall impression is that they do a good job. But there are some issues that come along with them such as decreased suspension articulation, air lines pulling out/off, bags failing due to mfg. defects or extreme use. Airbags are way cheaper than a weight distributing hitch. But the hitch requires no modifications to the suspension and when the trailer isn't connected, neither is the WDH.

Larry uses a weight distribution hitch on his trailer. I haven't followed him around much but it looks like it levels out the load pretty well.
I had one that I used behind a Ford 3/4 ton to pull a 34' travel trailer 20 years ago. It was a life saver in controlling that big ass trailer.
I use air bags on my pickup now and I love the ease of operation but it seldom gets used for heavy offroad although it does see more action than 99% of the hundys on the road today.

For a popup, I think using air bags would be sufficient. I have them on both tow rigs and I don't get that bouncy feeling over the expansion joints anymore. Furthermore, the air bags would allow you to take your camper off the beaten path easier than the WDH, I'd venture to guess. My 80 has them for eight years now and they've put up with quite a bit of wheeling abuse w/o issues. They do NOT decrease articulation because you don't need to inflate them to the max when you're wheeling. When wheeling, you're not carrying a hitch load so air them down to 5psi and all is good. When you get back to your camper, air them up to 20psi, hook up and head home. As always, installation is key for longevity!

For the airbags, I've seen some folks put in a Tee and then a single schrader valve to adjust the pressure. This allows for the bags to maintain equal amounts of pressure. But I've seen some people be very adamant that you do not want them connected this way, instead they should be separate. I'm wondering if the sway bar and spring rates exceed the effect of having them both connected and contributing to sway by transferring air from the one under compression to the one that isn't.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head Marc. I've tried them in a Tee configuration and didn't like the way my vehicle handled. Say you go over a small obstacle on the driver side. As soon as the rear left goes over the obstacle, your (non air bagged) suspension will lift up and move the body upward accordingly. Now, on a 2.5"+ lifted vehicle, the transfer of air contributes to more body sway while wheeling and also on the hwy. If your shocks don't have the appropriate valving, you'll definitely notice this sway.

If you keep the bags separate, the air doesn't go from side to side and surprisingly and you can squeeze the absolute crap out of the air lift air bags w/o them popping or puncturing!! The rear suspension behaves pretty normally with air bags less than 10psi. That's why I suggest airing the bags down to their minimum value, 5psi, when you're wheeling or keep no more than 10psi in them.

For the airbags, I've seen some folks put in a Tee and then a single schrader valve to adjust the pressure. This allows for the bags to maintain equal amounts of pressure. But I've seen some people be very adamant that you do not want them connected this way, instead they should be separate. I'm wondering if the sway bar and spring rates exceed the effect of having them both connected and contributing to sway by transferring air from the one under compression to the one that isn't.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I see more benefits to the airbags than the WDH. I know the WDH really only works on flat, smooth surfaces so if I find myself on even a mild FS road or trail, I would need to disconnect the spring bars. Now I have a saggy suspension again. I'm going to do the airbags. The worst that can happen is I don't like them and I take them out. The general consensus on the 100 forum is that the AirLift springs with the air hose coming out the bottom is the best for the job.

Air Lift 1000 Install

I would put heavier springs and a lift on it if I could get away with it. But I like the way the truck rides with the stock suspension and I don't think Danise would be happy if I changed anything. It is technically her truck. So the airbags will probably be my best option.

Started installation yesterday. I had a little fun figuring where to jack and where to put jack stands. I even went and bought some 6K jackstands but they weren't tall enough to support the truck from the rear frame so I ended up with a slight teeter-totter effect by having the jackstands right in front of the lower control arm mount to the frame. I got one side installed and decided to quit at 8 last night since I still needed to get my taxes done. Hopefully I can get the other one done today and have her back on the road tonight. It would have been a little easier with 2 people, trying push the axle down and jam the springs back in place.

Started installation yesterday. I had a little fun figuring where to jack and where to put jack stands. I even went and bought some 6K jackstands but they weren't tall enough to support the truck from the rear frame so I ended up with a slight teeter-totter effect by having the jackstands right in front of the lower control arm mount to the frame. I got one side installed and decided to quit at 8 last night since I still needed to get my taxes done. Hopefully I can get the other one done today and have her back on the road tonight. It would have been a little easier with 2 people, trying push the axle down and jam the springs back in place.

Probably too late but if you disconnect the rear sway bar end links + lower shock mounts, the axle literally fall down on its own!

I did disconnect both sides of the sway bar but it didn't give me as much room as I had expected. Maybe it's because I did one side at a time instead of disconnecting both shocks at the same time. Both bags are in. Now I just need to route the air lines to a spot I like, which I haven't quite settled on yet.

Larry uses a weight distribution hitch on his trailer. I haven't followed him around much but it looks like it levels out the load pretty well.
I had one that I used behind a Ford 3/4 ton to pull a 34' travel trailer 20 years ago. It was a life saver in controlling that big ass trailer.
I use air bags on my pickup now and I love the ease of operation but it seldom gets used for heavy offroad although it does see more action than 99% of the hundys on the road today.
Hey Marc,
I realize you are going down the airbag path and that should serve you well. The thing I find good about the weight distribution system is that it also give me some anti-sway and with my "taller" rig and some SW winds - it does make a difference. Let me know how you fair.

I can see the advantage. My pop up is pretty low profile and it is sprung pretty stiff. The short trip I did to Bandelier and back a few weeks ago had good results. The rear suspension was good and stiff and everything was level and handled well.

I've taken two more longer trips with the new airbags installed. I am very pleased with how they have leveled the stance and provide for a stiffer rear suspension and a lot more stability when towing. The most recent trip was about about 1,000 miles up to Twin Lakes near Leadville, then up to Rocky Mountain NP (over Trail Ridge Road), down to south Denver and then home. Even with the trailer weight close to 3,000 lbs, no sway control and no weight distributing hitch, the 100 towed very well. I didn't have any stability issues with heavy crosswinds. I didn't have excessive bouncing going over big bumps. And the 100 had a full load of people and crap in the cargo area. My only complaint is that even with a V8, she's still kind of slow, especially up big hills. But you can always count on flatlanders from Illinois and Arkansas to be causing the backups over mountain passes, especially in Rocky Mountain NP.

I've taken two more longer trips with the new airbags installed. I am very pleased with how they have leveled the stance and provide for a stiffer rear suspension and a lot more stability when towing. The most recent trip was about about 1,000 miles up to Twin Lakes near Leadville, then up to Rocky Mountain NP (over Trail Ridge Road), down to south Denver and then home. Even with the trailer weight close to 3,000 lbs, no sway control and no weight distributing hitch, the 100 towed very well. I didn't have any stability issues with heavy crosswinds. I didn't have excessive bouncing going over big bumps. And the 100 had a full load of people and crap in the cargo area. My only complaint is that even with a V8, she's still kind of slow, especially up big hills. But you can always count on flatlanders from Illinois and Arkansas to be causing the backups over mountain passes, especially in Rocky Mountain NP.

Well, your poor Hundy was working overtime with the trailer+load, come on now, cut her some slack already! What a whinner.....

I believe it's spelled whiner.....

Also: whiner = a person, who complains or expresses disappointment or unhappiness repeatedly

I only see one complaint in that post.

Last edited:
I believe it's spelled whiner.....

Aslo: whiner = a person, who complains or expresses disappointment or unhappiness repeatedly

I only see one complaint in that post.

Captured.

Great thread. Thank you ! I already have a WDH for towing my lifted E2 pop up With my 100 series and have had to remove it in tough terrain. It’s also a little hard on the Slee bumper. Planning to add the bags for the versatility. Thinking I need to also swap out my HD Ironman springs for the HD OME’s. The Ironman’s got squishy over the past 3 years of abuse. Any experience with that?

Great thread. Thank you ! I already have a WDH for towing my lifted E2 pop up With my 100 series and have had to remove it in tough terrain. It’s also a little hard on the Slee bumper. Planning to add the bags for the versatility. Thinking I need to also swap out my HD Ironman springs for the HD OME’s. The Ironman’s got squishy over the past 3 years of abuse. Any experience with that?

If your rear springs are getting squishy only during towing, but fine otherwise, then your springs aren't the issue. You're simply overloading them with the tongue weight and the air bags will help. On the other hand, you can go with progressive rate springs for DD and for towing. Even with progressive rate springs, I'd still slap the air bags inside the coil springs. For <$100 investment, air bags are a no brainer for folks who tow regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom