Skinny vs Standard Width Tires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
This opens a debate.

I’ll just keep my sweet mouth shut 🤐

I just swapped from 285/70/17 Duratracs to 255/80/17 Toyo AT3’s. Haven’t hit the dirt yet, but on road they are awesome on my 4th gen 4R.

I just swapped from 285/70/17 Duratracs to 255/80/17 Toyo AT3’s. Haven’t hit the dirt yet, but on road they are awesome on my 4th gen 4R.
Thinking of the same size for my Sequoia. More manufactures are offering tall skinny now. Post pics.

Thinking of the same size for my Sequoia. More manufactures are offering tall skinny now. Post pics.
For a Sequoia I’d go 35x10.5!

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

IMG_0860.jpeg

This opens a debate.

I think the skinnies look better, and the data to support that they are 'better' is just bonus.

I'm curious who makes a 35 x 10.5? This has me intrigued.

I'm curious who makes a 35 x 10.5? This has me intrigued.
Kenda makes a 35x10.50r17.
Mickey Thompson makes baja boss at. 255/85r17 (35x10.00)

bummer, I have 16" rims.

Well, does anyone make a 16" tall, skinny tire?
They do, here’s some good info but it’s long.

I would consider a (reasonably) skinny tire if they made it in a fog tread.

Skinnies look like ass.
Sure drive better than my 285/70’s though. But I guess to some people looks are everything, after all. Tactical rule #1- always look cool!

My first truck was a 1959 Ford f250 4x4. When I got it it had 7.50-17 bias ply directional mud tires on it. I drove on those tires until they were banana peels. Never got stuck in the mud though. When I replaced them with 33x12.00x16 tires that truck was a completely different animal in the mud, it slid all over the place and I could stick it pretty easily. The only thing I really liked about the wider tires is that the tread seemed to not wear as quick as with the skinnies.

Sure drive better than my 285/70’s though. But I guess to some people looks are everything, after all. Tactical rule #1- always look cool!
Tacticool, you meant!! 😁

I had my 4th gen tires on the stock wheels for a while, making them skinnier, and I felt like it drove like crap.

I had my 4th gen tires on the stock wheels for a while, making them skinnier, and I felt like it drove like crap.

so you installed a wide set of tires on a skinny set of rims, which caused the outer edge of the tires to not touch the pavement. Is this what I'm hearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom