Airbags vs. Weight Distributing Hitch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your rear springs are getting squishy only during towing, but fine otherwise, then your springs aren't the issue. You're simply overloading them with the tongue weight and the air bags will help. On the other hand, you can go with progressive rate springs for DD and for towing. Even with progressive rate springs, I'd still slap the air bags inside the coil springs. For <$100 investment, air bags are a no brainer for folks who tow regularly.
Thanks Alia.I have been seeing the decline while running the same weight loads so I thought I may of also have the wrong Ironman springs. I remember buying the heavys. I grabbed the bags and am putting them in next week. Since it isn't that expensive, I purchase a set OME 864 springs but I am not sure if they are progressives. From what I've heard from Slee and forums they are a bit stiffer than the Ironmans. I should double check the specs on those.
Added:
Looking at the specs and it looks like the 866's are the only progressives. Hearing some pretty negative experiences on those in the blogs under similar loads. Double checking that option...

Last edited:
Thanks Alia.I have been seeing the decline while running the same weight loads so I thought I may of also have the wrong Ironman springs. I remember buying the heavys. I grabbed the bags and am putting them in next week. Since it isn't that expensive, I purchase a set OME 864 springs but I am not sure if they are progressives. From what I've heard from Slee and forums they are a bit stiffer than the Ironmans. I should double check the specs on those.
Added:
Looking at the specs and it looks like the 866's are the only progressives. Hearing some pretty negative experiences on those in the blogs under similar loads. Double checking that option...
Just to let you know, your feedback led me to look into several spring options. I ended up putting out for the Tough Dog progressive springs with the Air Lift bags. I also went ahead and upgraded the pan hard bar from TD. I am blown away at the difference between the TD's and the Ironman springs. The stability is amazing. I felt that the weight distro bars were still more stable than the inflated airbags alone but the difference is minimal. I towed with the distro hitch/bars out to the desert and dropped them for off roading (my typical practice) but this time I went without the bars for the ride home and was totally impressed. Still not quite as solid when swerving at 40 to 50 mph but very stable. I can probably drop 120 lbs off the hitch with the bags and a straight receiver. THANKS for the info.

Very cool to hear. Can you slap up a pic of your setup? I have a light weight trailer, less than 2500# but with a tongue weight around 400# and I experience zero ill manners. But, my trailer is a popup and narrow so the wind drag is minimal. Of course, it's not top heavy at all so that helps with stability as well. Your avatar shows a popup trailer behind your rig but can't tell for certain.

Another thing that contributes to the ill manners while towing are your rear control arms/links. Make sure those bushings are still good as in not old. Toyota oem bushings are fine but this type of load accelerate their wear.

Very cool to hear. Can you slap up a pic of your setup? I have a light weight trailer, less than 2500# but with a tongue weight around 400# and I experience zero ill manners. But, my trailer is a popup and narrow so the wind drag is minimal. Of course, it's not top heavy at all so that helps with stability as well. Your avatar shows a popup trailer behind your rig but can't tell for certain.

Another thing that contributes to the ill manners while towing are your rear control arms/links. Make sure those bushings are still good as in not old. Toyota oem bushings are fine but this type of load accelerate their wear.

I am so sorry for the delay as I am still learning how to circle back and find past posts and issues. Here are a few pics.
IMG_3798.jpeg
IMG_3797.jpeg

Sorry, just picked up on this thread. If you just get heavier rear springs or air bags you are still going to have a lighter than optimum weight (therefore control) on your front axle. A weight distribution hitch will decrease the weight on the rear axle and put it on the front, for better control. Of course if you're driving an 80 that's built to haul heavy loads e.g. across Africa, your trailer (tongue) weight is going to have to be significant to make a difference.

Sorry, just picked up on this thread. If you just get heavier rear springs or air bags you are still going to have a lighter than optimum weight (therefore control) on your front axle. A weight distribution hitch will decrease the weight on the rear axle and put it on the front, for better control. Of course if you're driving an 80 that's built to haul heavy loads e.g. across Africa, your trailer (tongue) weight is going to have to be significant to make a difference.
Thanks for jumping in. Yes. I’m in a 100.So I noticed that to be true when I had weight distribution bar springs. Weight on the front axle is improved but only on normal, open roads. If I could use them when I was off-roading, it would help front-end traction there too. I always had to remove them when in tough terrain because they would get over-stressed on deep dips and challenging spots. Fortunately my new Off Grid trailer is smaller and under 2000 pounds with a Max Coupler hitch. I can handle more challenging situations. The air bags and springs do help a lot with sway compared to towing without the bars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom