Africa Build 2.0 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sights and Sounds

My container of goodies will hopefully be arriving within a month. In the meantime, I wanted to fill you in on another small project I completed a little while ago but haven't talked about yet.

As mentioned above, the radio that came with the truck might have been great for Tokyo, but since I don’t read Japanese and don’t need GPS navigation specific to Japan, it had to go.

In searching for a new head unit, I quickly came to find that the worldwide supply chain problems were also affecting aftermarket car stereos. I eventually decided to purchase a model that was a couple years old but hit all the right…buttons.

I was really enamored with the dual camera function and easy access to the “Cam” button on the right hand (my driver’s) side of the Kenwood DMX7706S.

kenwood.jpeg

Parking in tight spaces can be stressful enough, but once a big steel bumper with winch goes on, parallel parking in the city becomes a nerve-wracking game of chicken with other people’s trunk lids / bumpers / back windows. I liked the idea of a front camera taking the guesswork out of the equation. At the same time, accessing it through a series of menus was not going to work in a parking situation, it had to be an easily accessible physical button. The DMX7706S fit the bill perfectly.

I found one on Amazon for $600. It was the last one in stock (seemingly anywhere on the planet), so I purchased it. Unfortunately, around this time, our mail was incredibly messed up and I after months of waiting, it was clear I was never going to receive the package.

With Amazon now out of stock, I went searching elsewhere. I had never heard of buya.com before, but decided to take a chance. The website is an online marketplace for pawn shops to sell their goods. At less than half the cost of new, I went for a pawn-shop special. And you know what? It works just fine.

IMG_5362.jpeg

I feel incredibly lucky that the prior owner had already installed an aftermarket stereo. I found this gem (Beat Sonic SLA-100), which allows the signal from the aftermarket stereo to pass through the factory amp and subwoofer. A major win.

IMG_4845.jpeg

I still had to wire the connector on the receiver side of the SLA-100 manually, since the old stereo was a pioneer and the new a Kenwood, but the job was made much easier by the prior installer leaving the identifying tags on each wire. Even the aftermarket rear camera from the old stereo wired right up and worked beautifully.

I wired up the front camera and mounted it within the front bumper cover – it is everything I hoped for. Once the Dissent bumper is mounted I will need to figure something else out.

IMG_5358.jpeg

My wife uses the apple car play features including google maps for navigation around town, but when it comes to getting out into the bush, I still fire up my decade-old Garmin and load the latest tracks4africa map. There is no substitute for local mapmakers, and these are the absolute best maps for southern Africa. If you’re ever overlanding over here, their digital and/or print maps are required kit.

SD2110cover.png

Speaking of overlanding around here, I’ll wrap up this post with a picture of a local's truck after a run in with a bull elephant. Notice the puncture wounds from the tusks in the front bumper (driver and elephant both walked away uninjured).

0b904a57-dc48-4b99-bb32-02548208cfb2.jpeg

So the lesson is “don’t piss off an elephant.” Got it!

So the lesson is “don’t piss off an elephant.” Got it!
Many male ones come pre-pissed. If you see them in a mood, just start slowly backing away your truck.

Last edited:
Very cool thread keep posting.

Investigations

Back at home, I had time to fully investigate what I had gotten myself into. The interior was in very good shape and the undercarriage had some, but minimal, rust. In addition to the obvious blown AHC globe(s), the driver side CV boot was slinging grease, the steering rack had a noticeable leak, and the fan bracket bearing was loose. The worst of it, though, was the wiring. This is the stuff nightmares are made of; cut wires everywhere, scotch locks used with abandon – at the ignition switch, ECU…everywhere. Electrical tape loosely draped around potentially live wires. No fuses on additional circuits. Mystery on/off switches that lead to nowhere. It was bad…real bad.

It turns out that when the auto electrician “fixed” the immobilizer “problem” what he actually did was hotwire the truck. I don’t understand how, but he completely bypassed the immobilizer ECU. There is no security light, a non-chip key I had cut locally starts the truck without issue, and Techstream is completely unable to connect to the immobilizer ECU.

I don’t even know how to begin rectifying this immobilizer mess, so for now it will be on the back burner.

On a related note,I love the factory key, it has a single button lock/unlock integrated into a much smaller profile than our U.S. market two or three button keys.

View attachment 2826289

I wanted to get another transponder key like this. It looked like mid-90’s Lexus cars in the U.S. used this same style key / fob, so I ordered a blank from ebay and had it cut locally.

View attachment 2826283

It starts the truck up just fine, but I’m not sure if the FOB can communicate with the truck or not. My factory key has no FCC Id (why would it, I suppose, it was a JDM key, so no FCC id required).

Additionally, all of the directions I can find online about programming fobs describe how to program a fob with two or more buttons (e.g. “hold down both the lock and unlock button…”). I can get the truck itself into programming mode, but I have not had any luck with it recognizing this FOB. I don’t know if it’s on a different frequency, or if I’m not doing the programming steps correctly, or what.

After going over the truck with a fine-toothed comb, I put together a huge (and I mean huge) Partsouq order. Timing belt kit, steering rack, new CV, lots of rubber hoses, etc. It turns out the order was so big that U.S. Customs has spent two weeks so far holding the shipment and crunching the numbers on how much I owe in duty and fees. I blew way past the $800 personal purchase exemption with this one. Oh well.

Because I plan to tow an off-road camping trailer with this truck, I was super excited to purchase Cruiser Garage’s ash tray Scanguage II mount and start getting a baseline for tranny and coolant temps. The install was quick and easy.

Unfortunately, I had to uninstall it a few minutes later, since the Scanguage didn’t work at all. I have since learned that this truck does not utilize the OBDII protocol. JDM vehicles typically use the JOBD protocol in their domestic market cars. Looks like I will need to go old-school with separate probes and gauges if I want real-time temperature data.
Do you know if this style key would work for a US LX470?

Some Assembly Required

Today's accomplishment was the installation of Trail Tailor adjustable rear upper control arms.

IMG_5369.jpeg

The bushings on the factory arms were ready to hang up the towel.

IMG_5366.jpeg

Back in December when I received both the lower and upper control arms from Trail Tailor, I installed the lowers right away (along with some Firestone airbags, in preparation for my eventual 40 gallon auxiliary fuel tank). The complicating factor when installing adjustable upper control arms on a truck with AHC is that they don't come with a bracket for the rear sensor.

Today I finally had the opportunity to go into the local off-road shop and have them weld the AHC bracket to one of the Trail Tailor arms. While we were at it, we welded the ABS wire bracket to the other, for good measure.

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5387.jpeg

IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5379.jpeg

Even though I was with the mechanics for the entire time...it only takes a second.

Before installing the arms, I set them to the correct length. The mechanic then installed them...but as he was doing that he started lengthening one of the arms to have it reach the axle, which had shifted. I told him as long as he got them back to the same length, we should be OK.

Then, when were were setting the bracket location, we noticed the driver's side was an inch lower than the passenger. I had to take a 2 min call so stepped away and when I turned around I saw one of the mechanics cranking on the driver's torsion bar. "Stop!"

"But boss, this is how you adjust the height on one side."
"No, it's not. Not for this truck."

It turns out that cross leveling an AHC vehicle can also be impacted by rear upper control arms that are different lengths. It took four full rotations of the driver's side arm to get it equal to the passenger side and to level the truck out. Can I complain? All together, including 6 hours of labor and some light welding the bill was $100 total.

Last edited:
Do you know if this style key would work for a US LX470?
I have no idea. But I guess this is as good a time as any to add the final chapter to the story of that amazing, fantastic, best-ever key.

My wife and I went to a park with the kids. As we were leaving, my wife gave her key (THE key) to our six year old, to unlock the doors because she was running ahead and would get to the truck first. The six year old unlocked the doors, climbed in and - our best guess - left that key in the gravel parking lot next to the truck. At the time that was happening, I was getting the two year old buckled on the other side, my wife was getting the four year old situated and by the time we were all in the truck we were distracted by a monkey troop walking through the parking lot...and by the time she realized her keys were missing it was already two days later. No luck returning to the parking lot and doing a thorough sweep. That key lives on only in our memories...a legend among keys.

Many male ones come pre-pissed. If you see them in a mood, just start slowly backing away your truck.

So this begs the question, do rental car companies give you grief if you opted for insurance but your rental comes back with large holes in it! Lol…

So hard for me to imagine driving a dirt road here in Western North Carolina and then coming in contact with the presence of a mammal that could just flip my LC and probably tear doors off with the trunk! Wow!!!

So this begs the question, do rental car companies give you grief if you opted for insurance but your rental comes back with large holes in it! Lol…

So hard for me to imagine driving a dirt road here in Western North Carolina and then coming in contact with the presence of a mammal that could just flip my LC and probably tear doors off with the trunk! Wow!!!
Unless you encounter Gomez's mom :lol:

This is an interesting read about another Land Cruiser coming face to face with a male Elephant.

we were once in Kruger (or was it Ado, I forgot). My wife was driving. She's a fairly mild driver, usually. Which is good. However, that one time we saw some big elephants coming straight for our small rental car. I've never seen somebody drive so fast in reverse on a dirt road... Very impressive! Good thing there was no car behind us cuz she was driving right over them, I'm sure... :)

Had over a km drive reversing in a diesel BMW sedan whilst a bull elli (apparently in musk/musth) trotted on towards us … in the Kruger. Fokelore was that diesel motors triggered their aggressive side, so coupled with being in musk = a seriously nonsocial elephant.

Some eye candy/wet biltong from last year, apologies to the OP for the slight topic detour

B4410053-A156-44D8-B1B8-6AEFB934C4D6.jpeg
5FE011E1-BD2F-4AB9-8205-778047483418.jpeg
9607CB63-7D20-43C4-8215-C254C57BCCDA.jpeg
6F86C1FC-9AF6-4EA7-8257-AD0544DDA28A.jpeg
918C9622-F362-4E29-8586-E7124261E7AB.jpeg
DFDADC9B-4CA2-484F-8F07-EDCFD706EC6E.jpeg
B028A4F7-E242-4A9E-AA3E-BBEBA99067F0.jpeg
9B109EE3-F40E-4FD2-BAEC-4E877E5B061F.jpeg

One Bite at a Time

Even with all of the baselining I have done so far, there is still more to do. Baselining is an elephant-sized job...and how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

I intended to replace the steering rack, driver's side CV, and front upper control arms yesterday.

With increased down travel generated by the AHC lift brackets, you can have contact with the stock upper control arm and the dust shield of the front actuator. And in a country riddled with potholes and speed bumps, you might have a lot of contact.

IMG_5398.jpeg

The trouble with any aftermarket control arms is that they aren't made with AHC trucks in mind, since the AHC lift brackets aren't readily available in the U.S. and conventional wisdom goes against keeping an AHC system when lifting a truck. Even the Dobinson arms I purchased, which include a stud to mount the ABS line, will need the AHC sensor bracket welded on before mounting them.

Unfortunately the welder was out sick yesterday, so the upper arms will have to wait for another day, despite the split boots.

IMG_5401.jpeg

So off with the CV...

IMG_5390.jpeg

And using the the tricks in this thread, we worked on getting the steering rack out. We used the below setup to get the bolts off the D-bracket from above.

IMG_5393.jpeg

And thanks to the trick of lifting the engine a couple inches, out it came! (landing on top of a 25 yer old maglite...which wasn't phased at all).

IMG_5394.jpeg

Who doesn't love some fresh new parts?!

IMG_5414.jpeg

IMG_5415.jpeg

A $10 alignment should get me through until the welder is feeling better and we take a bite of the front UCA project (after which I will go to a more advanced alignment shop).

IMG_5410.jpeg

can you tell us a bit what it is like to get parts and find good technicians in practice where you are?

can you tell us a bit what it is like to get parts and find good technicians in practice where you are?
Interesting question. I come from a privileged position (with literal privileges and immunities attached to my job), so I live in a bit of a different world compared to the local people of Zambia. I can import my cars and car parts duty free. The USPS delivers all the way to my workplace for the same price as shipping domestically in the U.S. I have a good education and decades of wrenching on vehicles under my belt.

So for me, it looks like this. I either order from a U.S. vendor, like Trail Tailor, and they ship to a domestic U.S. address; it arrives here in about 3 weeks. Or I order from Partsouq and it arrives in about 10 days. I do everything I can myself. What I can't do myself (like these welding projects the last two days), I find the best help I can. But the entire time, I am with the technician, shoulder to shoulder. As I've explored in this thread and my last thread, it only takes a second and things go off script real quick.

Mechanic is a loose term around here. Even at the "best" establishments - to include the Toyota dealership - we are really talking about shade tree mechanics. I brought out my torque wrench yesterday and it was like a mythical object come to life for the 20+ year Toyota mechanic I was working with (and he's good!). He had absolutely NO idea what to make of the fishing scale when I was showing him how to test the preload for the wheel bearings.

For parts, local Zambians have to contend with high import duties, high sales tax (value added tax), plus insane markups if they want to buy genuine parts. I have price checked several items with the local Toyota dealership against Partsouq. Parts are marked up 2X-3X and take 6-8 weeks to arrive. So cheap Chinese knockoffs abound. Poor roads, poorly maintained vehicles, poorly trained drivers...An injury or death from a road accident is, in fact, the #1 risk we face living here. We carry full trauma kits in our vehicles, including tourniquets.

The typical mechanic is much more like the one found in this documentary (side note, the Kombouka ceremony discussed in this documentary is happening right now):

interesting, thanks. Of course, good shade tree mechanics can do miracles with basic mechanical work. But what happens with newer vehicles' electronics issues? Like something that in the US you'd have to do elaborate electronics troubleshooting on. ECU issues and the like. How is that handled locally?

interesting, thanks. Of course, good shade tree mechanics can do miracles with basic mechanical work. But what happens with newer vehicles' electronics issues? Like something that in the US you'd have to do elaborate electronics troubleshooting on. ECU issues and the like. How is that handled locally?
I think for the most part they are worked around or ignored instead of properly diagnosed and remedied. But if there is any chance of having proper diagnostic work done, it will be at the relevant dealership. Certainly won't be quick, but it's the best possible chance for success. The dealerships at least have corporate to fall back on if their local team is completely stumped. Another reason to drive a Toyota in Africa - there will always be a dealership nearby.

I should clarify also, the Toyota mechanic I spoke about above was not from the dealership. He has exclusively worked on Toyota's during his career, but at independent shops. It is possible that the dealer techs have all the proper Toyota training for modern diagnostic work.

Last edited:
yes, there has to be a way of dealing with the occasional electronics issue or they would have to be shipped away for repairs. But still another reason to want a highly reliable vehicle out your way.
And I imagine Landcruisers are only owned by government entities, NGOs, safari owners, business people, and the like, all who likely have the means to pay the prices asked by the dealers, high as they may be.

Have you not interacted much with the dealership then?

My in-person interactions have been limited to the parts department, although as I was reaching my wit's end with the 4-month-long saga of trying to diagnose the surging / stumbling at idle without the aid of techstream, I did reach out to their service department to see if they could perform a diagnoses. It was going to be a 6 week wait for an appointment and cost somewhere north of $100 just for a diagnoses, so I passed.

Oddly, even though they appear to drastically inflate parts prices, their ATF and AHC fluid prices were right on par with U.S. dealers. Aside from the inane shuffle of needing to interact with no less than 4 people to buy a quart of ATF (the order taker, the order giver, the cashier, and the security guard), it is the same dealer experience as you might find in the U.S. Except that the showroom has the 300 series standing proud alongside a 79 series dual cab.

Regarding who can afford to buy a brand new Toyota here - I think you nailed it. With Zambia having one of the highest income inequalities in the world, there isn't much of a middle class for Toyota to target, so probably a safe guess that fleet sales and affluent individual buyers are the target markets.

wow, $100 for just the diagnosis, I imagine that is a lot of money locally, I would think. Even in the US, may not be thought of as cheap in some places perhaps (but then I never go to a dealer and may be a bit behind the times admittedly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom