Advice wanted- spare tire too big. Bumps into release latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm running 285s/32s, and used a cheap off the shelf spacer. Since it's just for the spare and not actual axle use, cheap is good 'nuf.

A two-pack of a 2" spacer was $50, but that particular one is NLA. I've only got one spare tire, so the second is still sitting on the shelf. 😆
Amazon product ASIN B08T7T4CZH

PXL_20230628_180118356.MP.jpg

PXL_20230628_180113811.MP.jpg

@Living in the Past @MtnAddict you both mention wheel spacers- are you talking about something similar to the link @rkymtnflyfisher shared- the vertical spacers? Can you please show me what you used? I currently have 235/75/15 BFG that is dented by the carrier (stock 1970), so won't hold air. I am switching to 33x9.5x15 Kendas and will need to fix this situation, and may need to raise it up to avoid the latch, tbd. I don't have any fab skills so hope to find an off the shelf solution. Thanks!
Pretty sure I bought some cheap wheel spacers off Amazon (I can verify later).

IMG_5442.jpeg

Currently running 265/75R/16 and have plenty of room.

Not a fan of using the wheel spacer or custom bracket that moves the tire away from the plate or tube on later spare tire carrier. Away from the carrier allows a better chance of wheel to flex and possibly create stress cracks.

Not a fan of using the wheel spacer or custom bracket that moves the tire away from the plate or tube on later spare tire carrier. Away from the carrier allows a better chance of wheel to flex and possibly create stress cracks.
Completely agree, but what are the options when running different wheels and sizes of tires?

Definitely a trade-off... like most things in life.

I will say that even with the 2" spacer and 32" tire, it rides well with minimal flex **IF** you have good upper and lower rubber bumpers where the carrier rides on the rear door. If those aren't set right or they're stiff/aged, the latching won't be tight, and then the motion amplifies from there. Similar with the hinge pins. If everything is in shape, it's a reasonable tradeoff - to a point. I'm curious to compare the weight of the 32+17" aluminum rim vs stock, but haven't had the chance.

If doing a ton of trails (more jostling) or running 35s, that's a different story...but likely already have an aftermarket carrier/bumper at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom