1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on a Wagon Project

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by TJDIV, Nov 28, 2003.

1. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    OK. 1968 FJ45LV Wagon. I think I'm going to just get the straight six running (Chevy straight six, says its a 283 on the valve cover?). Anyway. I do have a 350 with a 350 tranny that I could do a conversion with, but honestly, I just got done doing my FJ40 with a 350, 700R4, P-208 case and GM axles, and I don't think I want to do that with the wagon. The 40 looks awesome though.

So, what do WE think fellas...tune up the 6 cyl., get it running, do everything else and make it look f*cking spectacular and just save the spare 350 engine and tranny for my 40 in case I want to tinker around and build a replacement motor a couple years from now?

Also, will a 4 speed tranny and case from a 40 go behind this straight six to replace the 3 speed and case? I've got the 4 speed at a buddies house that I could do that with.

I really am looking for a sh*t-load of options here. I don't want the "cheapest fix" either, just the most sensible I suppose. Help me out, this is going to be a sweet crusier.
    ;)
    Thanks.

IV

2. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Personally, I'd keep the FJ45 as stock as possible being as they are rather rare. Put collector or vintage or whatever other plates they have and go with that.

3. 72cruiser

72cruiser

i tell you what your best option is.

you give me the wagon, i'll give you my 72 fj40 to swap the 350 into, so you'll have twins.

it'll workout awesome. and if you throw in another 40 for me, that'd be cool too.

jonathan

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I've gone over to the dark side a long time ago. I pulled a nice F motor out of my 74 40 to go 350, but I would convert the 45 waggy back to a Toyota motor. They are way too cool to modify. Unless, it's too far gone already from previous owners, then I say drop a big block in there and tow the 40 with it. :D

5. MARKUS118

MARKUS118

Sell both motors and go diesel! :flipoff2:
    :beer:

6. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=MARKUS118 link=board=1;threadid=8152;start=msg69092#msg69092 date=1070115860]
    Sell both motors and go diesel! :flipoff2:
    :beer:
    [/quote]

Mmmmmmmmm 6.2 diesel and a ranger o/d with a 4 spd rockboxs split case and fj60 axles BLING BLING

7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, it looks as if the 6 cyl will work fine. I've talked to a couple guys here today and that's the majority vote. Get it running finish the interior, get it looking good and worry about engines later. I do have a buddy in Alabama who's got a rebuilt F engine and drive train.

So many options. I'm just going to get it on the road by New Years. One way, or a thousand others.