Adjust when TPMS alerts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taco2Cruiser

Crazy American Off Road
Threads
Is there a way to adjust when the TPMS goes off?

I want the light to only illuminate when tire pressure goes below 18 psi.

I believe the TPMS light comes on when you've lost 5.8 psi. From the test procedure in the FSM:

(f) Loosen the valve core and rapidly reduce the pressure (at least 40 kPa (0.4 kgf/cm 2 , 5.8 psi) within 30 seconds) to check the transmitter data

If you deflate your tires to 24 psi and then reset the TPMS by holding the button down, it shouldn't come on until 18psi. Then just reinflate them to whatever you want. Here's the procedure (bold item (b) is the only step you probably need to do):

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE

(a) Turn the engine switch on (IG).
(b) Press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch for 3 seconds or more so that the tire pressure warning light blinks 3 times.
(c) Turn the engine switch off.
(d) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
(e) Turn the engine switch on (IG) and turn the Techstream on.
(f) Enter the following menus: Chassis / Tire Pressure Monitor / Data List.
(g) Check that the initialization has been completed.
(h) Confirm that the tire pressure data of all tires are displayed on the Techstream screen.

That's 99.9% OK, but not entirely.

The TPMS alarms when the tire pressure is 25% below the set value. So your example is correct - if the TPMS set value is 24psi, then the system will alert when 75% of that value is reached, or 18psi.

Other examples would be:

TPMS Set Value/Alarm Value

40/30
32/24
48/36

So if you want the system to alert at 18psi, then inflate all tires to 24psi Cold Inflation Pressure and reset the TPMS. You do not need a Techstream to do this, just press and hold the TPMS Reset Button while turning the ignition ON.

LC200TPSet_12JUN15_zps8dat5gtx.jpg

LC200TPMSSet_11JUN15_zpsmu6wnn4g.jpg

Ignition must remain ON for a few minutes until the system re-populates with the current inflation pressures.

Exact procedure is in the Owner's Manual - you can look it up (I'm too busy right now), but it's pretty simple.

HTH

I did this the other day. With temps down in the low teens and below I got tired of seeing that light on and theres no way I'm freezing my fingers off for a few pounds of air to correct it.

That's 99.9% OK, but not entirely.

The TPMS alarms when the tire pressure is 25% below the set value. So your example is correct - if the TPMS set value is 24psi, then the system will alert when 75% of that value is reached, or 18psi.

Other examples would be:

TPMS Set Value/Alarm Value

40/30
32/24
48/36

So if you want the system to alert at 18psi, then inflate all tires to 24psi Cold Inflation Pressure and reset the TPMS. You do not need a Techstream to do this, just press and hold the TPMS Reset Button while turning the ignition ON.

LC200TPSet_12JUN15_zps8dat5gtx.jpg

LC200TPMSSet_11JUN15_zpsmu6wnn4g.jpg

Ignition must remain ON for a few minutes until the system re-populates with the current inflation pressures.

Exact procedure is in the Owner's Manual - you can look it up (I'm too busy right now), but it's pretty simple.

HTH
Earlier I had all tires at 18 psi and did the whole button reset thing. Yet it still has the warning light go off when the pressure falls below 30 psi.

What do you think? Should I go try it at 24?

So I tried to reset TPMS at 24 psi, but the warning still comes on at 30 psi.

Maybe I need more equipment than just pressing the pressure set button?

You did something wrong ... hey, happens to all of us.

If you want your system to alarm @18psi, set all your tire pressures to 24psi - for this purpose this will be your "specified cold tire inflation pressure level" - and then follow this procedure to reset (initialize) your TPMS:

upload_2018-1-18_14-16-1.png

After you have successfully performed the initialization, be sure to set your tires to the correct recommended cold tire inflation pressure. No matter what you set your tires to after doing the initialization, as long as it is greater than 18psi, the system will not alarm alarm until the pressure reaches 18psi.

HTH

Just checking but I assume you held the button 3 seconds until the TPMS light blinked 3 times?

Press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch for 3 seconds or more so that the tire pressure warning light blinks 3 times.

@gaijin and @linuxgod,

So I set all five to 24 psi, pressed the reset button for 3 seconds and watched the screen say it’s resetting the TPMS and the low tire pressure light flashes for three times.

Then right when it finds the first tire pressure after the test, still gives me the low pressure warning, and it won’t turn off till I pump it back up to 30.

So I don’t know guys.

@Taco2Cruiser -Any chance your spare might have been normal pressure still? I'm pretty sure you would have thought of that already, so forgive me if it seems obvious...

No idea if that would screw it up... Just thinkin, as I'm interested in what the solution turns out to be.

I usually just ignore the warning light when wheeling, but it is definitely annoying when the warning screen keeps taking over other screen modes on the dash to keep telling me over and over...

@Taco2Cruiser -Any chance your spare might have been normal pressure still? I'm pretty sure you would have thought of that already, so forgive me if it seems obvious...

No idea if that would screw it up... Just thinkin, as I'm interested in what the solution turns out to be.

I usually just ignore the warning light when wheeling, but it is definitely annoying when the warning screen keeps taking over other screen modes on the dash to keep telling me over and over...
No I put all five to the exact same pressures. At 18 and 24.

What I’ve noticed. The whole 25% lower than what you set it for works... as long as what you set it for is never below 30 psi.

I think Toyota figured someone like me would do something like I’m doing, and prevented it.

When I set it to 30, then yeah, it goes off at like 25 or so. Obviously better than it going off at 30, but my max off-road tire pressure is 25 (usually 20) so that still doesn’t help me much.

Maybe someone else will test and see if I’m just an oddball.

What I’ve noticed. The whole 25% lower than what you set it for works... as long as what you set it for is never below 30 psi.

I think Toyota figured someone like me would do something like I’m doing, and prevented it.

When I set it to 30, then yeah, it goes off at like 25 or so. Obviously better than it going off at 30, but my max off-road tire pressure is 25 (usually 20) so that still doesn’t help me much.

Heh,.. You are an odd-ball...but not because of PSI (haha!). :hillbilly:

I run as low as 18... Usually target around 20, but it's dipped down there regularly without issues. I've never lost a bead yet...knock on wood!

Makes sense that Toyota would program in a minimum acceptable pressure ...

Reviving an old thread to ask a question about resetting TPMS. Got a warning light yesterday on a 2008, checked and all tires were around 30psi. I refilled all to 32 and tried to reset holding the button down for 20+ seconds, but the light never blinked, it just does nothing. Is perhaps one of the tire sensors gone bad? Thoughts?

Does the dash have the Amber triangle illuminated and message saying "Check Tire Pressure System"? I had to change all the sensors in my 08 as they were the originals and the batteries finally went out right at a year ago. That's the message I got when the first one went out. If not, the sensors are probably fine. I do know that you have to be parked for it to initialize correctly.

Reviving an old thread to ask a question about resetting TPMS. Got a warning light yesterday on a 2008, checked and all tires were around 30psi. I refilled all to 32 and tried to reset holding the button down for 20+ seconds, but the light never blinked, it just does nothing. Is perhaps one of the tire sensors gone bad? Thoughts?

If your LC200 has stock tires (P285/60R18), then you should set all to 33psi, not 32psi - but that probably won't affect your ability to reset the TPMS.

Did you follow this procedure exactly?

1571854922100.png

Note that Ignition ON mode is NOT the same as Ignition ACC mode. To turn ignition on, you must keep your foot off the brake pedal with the transmission in Park and press the ignition button twice - once to enter ACC mode and then a second time to turn ignition ON.

HTH

If your LC200 has stock tires (P285/60R18), then you should set all to 33psi, not 32psi - but that probably won't affect your ability to reset the TPMS.

Did you follow this procedure exactly?

View attachment 2114543

Note that Ignition ON mode is NOT the same as Ignition ACC mode. To turn ignition on, you must keep your foot off the brake pedal with the transmission in Park and press the ignition button twice - once to enter ACC mode and then a second time to turn ignition ON.

HTH

Thanks, yes I did.

Does the dash have the Amber triangle illuminated and message saying "Check Tire Pressure System"? I had to change all the sensors in my 08 as they were the originals and the batteries finally went out right at a year ago. That's the message I got when the first one went out. If not, the sensors are probably fine. I do know that you have to be parked for it to initialize correctly.

semi old thread revive- TPMS light on dash came on ('08) and in the past it was always the spare that needed air. This time I cannot get the reset to work. I hold the reset button and nothing happens. Warning light stays on and no re-calibration. Its always been a simple procedure before.

Assuming I have a dead battery in a sensor; can one dead/bad sensor throw the whole TPMS reset out of whack (i.e. hoping I don't have to replace five)?

semi old thread revive- TPMS light on dash came on ('08) and in the past it was always the spare that needed air. This time I cannot get the reset to work. I hold the reset button and nothing happens. Warning light stays on and no re-calibration. Its always been a simple procedure before.

Assuming I have a dead battery in a sensor; can one dead/bad sensor throw the whole TPMS reset out of whack (i.e. hoping I don't have to replace five)?
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago on my 08. Two of my sensors were completely dead. I had never replaced any of them in the last 10 years. I went ahead and let him replace all 5. 250.00 out the door at an independent tire shop in Denver.

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago on my 08. Two of my sensors were completely dead. I had never replaced any of them in the last 10 years. I went ahead and let him replace all 5. 250.00 out the door at an independent tire shop in Denver.
Problem solved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom