Add weight to rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.projektenterprises.com
Ok I need to put some extra weight on my rear suspention to correct my shackle angle (get it sagged enough not to have 90* angle!). What would be the easiest way (cheapest too) to do this? How much would I need to add back there to equal out to close to the weight of the engine (front rides nice, back rides like SH*T!) I'm going SOA soon but I need something to have it feel softer in the rear before my kidneys fail on me.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Go purchase bags of sand.... throw them in the back until it starts setting down a bit and call it good.

Poser said:
Go purchase bags of sand.... throw them in the back until it starts setting down a bit and call it good.
i have 3 of them i'll see what they do or if i'm gonna need more. I'm wondering how to secure though because I don't have rear doors :doh: I'm sure i can figure something out. Thx Steve!

why not start with the bags of sand so you can get the weight idea you want, ride it for a while to be sure, weigh the final bags.... then get the equivalant in something less bulky and room sapping... like bars/plate(s) of lead and mount them under the rear where aux tank would go??

Long range fuel tank

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 said:
Long range fuel tank

and what.. never use the fuel in it or fill it with sand? :)

wantatlc said:
and what.. never use the fuel in it or fill it with sand? :)

the way gas prices are going might as well fill it with sand.

or water.

keep it full

I took 3 bags of sand, old warhead container that i never finished cleaning out the bottom half (has big chunch of metal [heavy] thanks to Kurt) and then threw in my spare tire (33x12.5 Swamper TSL Radial) for a combined weight of somewhere near 400lbs and it corrected the shackle angle which in turn made it ride better than I could have imagined. Thanks for all the suggestions.

projektdotnet said:
3 bags of sand, old warhead container, big chunch of metal, spare tire 400lbs.

sounds like a deadly collection of projectiles.....

Safety 1st........ Ride quality 2nd..........

post a pic of the shackles w/o the 400lb load

you may consider removing a leaf from your rear springs, keeping it for later use

Last edited:
mel this is temporary as i am going soa soon (before CM07 but after the body/cage work is complete). I guess I should explain my collection that does sound scary when i re-read that:
I have an old warhead container (retired military one) that had a big chunk of metal molded into the foam interior of the container. On top of that metal i put the 3 bags of sand then put the top on. Wedged this and my spare between the wheels and then used a ton of tie-downs to hold it in place (even took it on a test-drive on an empty street and it aint going anywhere. I check the straps every chance I get to watch out for wear or looseness.)

The shackles were at 90* (or really close) and so the whole rear end of the truck would actually become airborne over the smallest bumps. I figured 400lbs secured into the bed to keep the truck on all 4 wheels was safer than becoming airborne in the rear and spinning around at 60+mph.

So, is this a newer Skyjacker lift-the one listed in your sig? Just curious 'cause I'm looking at the same deal with mine. The PO put longer shackles on it - 2" over stock, then I added a 4" Skyjacker lift. Shackles sit at about 90* like you say. No test drive yet as I'm trying to get extended brake hoses figured out (early 66 type pita ones) Just comparing notes here wondering if the new springs are the issue or if I need shorter shackles. Thanks.

Now go wheel and flex the crap out of those springs...

This is what I've been doing to correct my shackle angle. Friend is building a fence, wants a stone base, the river is nearby....

B

Diescipel said:
Now go wheel and flex the crap out of those springs...

This is what I've been doing to correct my shackle angle. Friend is building a fence, wants a stone base, the river is nearby....

B
Lil redundant if you've read my previous thread (why ih84inchskyjacker). I need longer brake line in the rear (and by my last look possibly the front too) because mine are too short. Just haven't gotten around to going to Napa, Evsco, etc.

Install a big honkin' winch under the rear floor, between the frame rails. Depnding on the model you can add 200 to 300 lbs easy for it and the supporting framework. And be able to pull yourself out backwards from whatever you got into.

The Pics!!
S.A.C.K. (Shackle angle correction kit):
dscf5610.jpg

New Shackle angle (formerly 90*):
dscf5612.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom