AC dryer relocation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
Who has tried moving their AC dryer for high clearance bumpers-so it seems intentional and not a hack job?

I have some SS BiLok 5/16” straight couplers coming so I can add line. I also just looked at the dryer on my daughters 96 4Runner and it looks like a good cannibalization candidate for runnnng extended lines to and from-meaning they have enough workable straight line near the fittings without having to fight factory bends.

Btw I’m doing post-shoulder Op brain exercises by planning what truck work I’ll be having my son to do.

95 fzj80-mostly stock location
234B0518-D08D-402F-AF79-10CD9B07D74E.jpeg

96 4Runner
FA6F992D-32A2-4404-9A74-7026507BF7BD.jpeg

SEARCH and you should find threads that detail raising the original dryer by carefully bending the original lines, and there are other shorter dryers that are a direct bolt up.

There's always finding the piping for a '93 80. It puts that canister forward and a little left of the battery tray. Equal to the height of the top radiator support/grill cross member.

Bink’s sells dryer protection if you want to go that route.

Have any Pics or links to this?
A thousand pardons for the cornia-burning sun wash. It's September in Colorado.
At any rate, the second pic is attempting to show where the pipes connect to the radiator. it appears to be in the same place as in the OP's pics.

0920191713.jpg

0920191714.jpg

0920191715.jpg

0920191717.jpg

That’s cool. I didn’t recall there being that much room between the battery and radiator support.
G24 battery, fwiw.

Just carefully bend the lines to move it up and then cock the dryer sideways a bit. I don’t think it’s with the effort and expense to relocate it. It does look like your short line to the condenser will probably crack if it’s messed with much more though. Get another one from a part out, and a new dryer from RockAuto.

Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I'm in the process of trying to relocate my dryer. I'm torn between bending the lines and pushing it upward, or sourcing parts from a 91-93 and relocating it near the battery.

@TYM4FUN, your post is the first I've seen it mounted sideways. I've read that the canister needs to be vertical for it to function properly. Have you had any cooling issues with having yours mounted with that much angle?

Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I'm in the process of trying to relocate my dryer. I'm torn between bending the lines and pushing it upward, or sourcing parts from a 91-93 and relocating it near the battery.

@TYM4FUN, your post is the first I've seen it mounted sideways. I've read that the canister needs to be vertical for it to function properly. Have you had any cooling issues with having yours mounted with that much angle?

Many people have bent the lines and pushed the dryer up with no adverse effects.

Blows ice cubes and MUD vendor Coolstream said it would be just fine when I replaced compressor and dryer. Running almost 10 years this way now...

Many have pushed them up but kept them relatively vertical. What I was asking about is the angle that TYM4FUN has his at.

Sorry I should have been more specific. What I meant to say is that many have bent the lines and pushed the dryer up into an angled horizontal position with no issues.

Send it!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom