A Guide To Installing Hard Top Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet writeup!!! I am going to be doing this, and from what I had pictured in my mind, I was way wrong!!! You just saved me hours of frustration!!! Kudos to Potato Launcher for making the drive! Man, I love this site...

Sweet writeup!!! I am going to be doing this, and from what I had pictured in my mind, I was way wrong!!! You just saved me hours of frustration!!! Kudos to Potato Launcher for making the drive! Man, I love this site...

Thank you for the great post!

I second the FAQ-worthiness.

Hope this helps you guys out. Post up pics of what your WS looks like once you're done.

nick

I pretty sure I bought my WS from $OR (I'm in parts gathering mode), I'll have to check and see what I bought. I think I bought everything but the windshield one.

No doubt this post will help. I didn't even know those tools (except for the hook) existed, so it's a big help right there.

I watched a guy put in a flat winshield in my VW bug and figured it was the same, but no dice, since the VW WS is a continuous piece like a o-ring, you place in on the glass, then while holding the glass/WS against the opening, pull the WS over the lip on the inside with the hook. But this is a different animal.

Thanks again.

I pretty sure I bought my WS from $OR (I'm in parts gathering mode), I'll have to check and see what I bought. I think I bought everything but the windshield one.

No doubt this post will help. I didn't even know those tools (except for the hook) existed, so it's a big help right there.

I watched a guy put in a flat winshield in my VW bug and figured it was the same, but no dice, since the VW WS is a continuous piece like a o-ring, you place in on the glass, then while holding the glass/WS against the opening, pull the WS over the lip on the inside with the hook. But this is a different animal.

Thanks again.

Anytime! That's why we did this.

Good luck,
Nick

Thanks again.

That is how I did my 40 windshield a I got the ws from $0R and it was an "o-ring" with a key.

Great write up guys.

I know this is somewhat old, but im doing this in a few days so I placed my order from perfectfit.com and I ordered the actual stanpro products as1179/937 in a 50ft roll for $63 + shipping.

Thank you!

Have my sweetie in the shop getting ready to be painted. I am going to rush over there and pop those windows out.

:clap: Thank you!!!!!!

That is correct. Just make the splice in the vertical side.

open..

When Nick and I did this a while back we had hoped it would end up in the FAQs. Not sure why it never did... Glad to see it surface again and hope some new members find it useful.

I'm about to have to do this with my windshield, and I've never dealt with a keyed rubber. The rubber thread in the sticky is for the later variety (that I've done dozens of in other vehicles), and this should absolutely be right next to it and appropriately labeled.

Im replacing the weather strip on my top and am looking for an affordable alternative. I went on the stanpro website to try ordering these parts. However, it seems like it's not working. Has anyone ordered any of these supplies from them recently?

Did you check out the perfectfit website?

Im replacing the weather strip on my top and am looking for an affordable alternative. I went on the stanpro website to try ordering these parts. However, it seems like it's not working. Has anyone ordered any of these supplies from them recently?[/QUOTE

Find a local glass shop that does industrial equipment. Stanpro is the industry standard for this type of product but others are available as with most products. The part numbers stated are easily cross referanced, 1/4 " glass to 1/8" pinchweld is extremely common with flat glass. If you find a similar product post up with a good source. These are the products that I had good success with from years of doing auto and industrial glass work. Tried the cheaper alternatives with mixed results however, sometimes good and sometimes bad. Makes all the differance in doing it once and being done or doing it again until you get it right. Just my two pennies from my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-using my big right thumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom