A Guide To Installing Hard Top Windows (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright. Just put in my order with perfectfit.com. Ordered a 50 ft roll of the AS-1179/937 for $89 plus shipping. Thanks a mil potato launcher!

Let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-using my big right thumb.

I'm happy I stumbled onto this thread! I have been thinking of buys a older hard top and stretching it 10" to fit my extended Aqualu tub and this would make things much easier! Very cool.

Alright. Just put in my order with perfectfit.com. Ordered a 50 ft roll of the AS-1179/937 for $89 plus shipping. Thanks a mil potato launcher!

The perfectfit site recommends the as-789-b lock strip with the as-1179 weatherstrip. Is there a reason you chose the smaller one?

I'm going off the recommendation and instructions on the thread. It looks like a couple other guys have used the 937 lock strip with no issues.

Holy thread revival! Its been a while since I've been on and I completely forgot about this thread. I'm glad to see Potato Launchers knowledge is still helping out mudmembers!

Nick

I'm not 100% sure but I think the later model hardtop and rear doors require an offset w/s like this from CRLaurence. Compare the size of the stock glass to the size of the opening in the doors and side glass openings. If there is not at least a 3/16" gap between glass all the way around the AS-1179 style gasket will not work. You can have a glass cut that will fit with the AS-1179 gasket but that will defeat you quest for cutting costs. Good luck.
Casey
View attachment 472482

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have to install some windows in the next few weeks. Did we come to a consensus that the stanspro AS-1179 will not work on the Ambi door windows? If not what did people end up using? I need to order my weather stripping so I was hoping to get the right stuff. If you cannot use the AS-1179 on the back, but you can on the sides and corners then I take it you could order less than 50ft?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have to install some windows in the next few weeks. Did we come to a consensus that the stanspro AS-1179 will not work on the Ambi door windows? If not what did people end up using? I need to order my weather stripping so I was hoping to get the right stuff. If you cannot use the AS-1179 on the back, but you can on the sides and corners then I take it you could order less than 50ft?

I've got the solution for the rear window weatherstrip, and it goes all the way around.

Short answer on the AS 1179 on ambulance doors is no. The above is over /under configuration. Ambulance doors use offset type rubber.
As 1179 is sold in bulk 50' rolls unless you can get a glass shop to sell by the foot.

Ok read this with a lot of interest, great post. Before reading I opted to go with the side sliding windows that are expensive from Specter off Road. Still have the quarter windows. I am working on a failed project of a February 1971 FJ40. It looks like with extra parts that came with it I have windshield weather stripping that is the old style that uses the locking strip. I have all ready installed the windshield so this is extra. Can I cut and use it to install the quarter windows? If I do I will need to obtain a section of locking strip. Will I need to order a roll of it?

Thanks for the help!

I've got the solution for the rear window weatherstrip, and it goes all the way around.
@Racer65 The link posted is no longer valid. Do you still carry the early model weatherstrip as I didn't find it on your site?
Almost purchased from a couple vendors online yesterday until I got the shipping quote in the cart (one was $39.99 and the other was almost as bad).

@Racer65 The link posted is no longer valid. Do you still carry the early model weatherstrip as I didn't find it on your site?
Almost purchased from a couple vendors online yesterday until I got the shipping quote in the cart (one was $39.99 and the other was almost as bad).

The new weatherstripping page is here; however, I don't have the early long side window weatherstrip yet.

I haven't spoke with Nick in quite a while, he did still have his 40 but I'm not sure if the pics are still available.
What specifically are you needing info on?

The whole process. I am about to rebuild my top.

-Best way to remove all the windows.
-What gaskets are actually needed
- should i reuse my side window gaskets?

I know this thread is from 2010, but it's a great help. I'm rebuilding my 1966 fj40 and have been wondering about this for a while now. Thanks for the great tutorial with pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom