a few good club members (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We say Asian now btw, not Oriental.......{j/k - no flaming needed lawdy}
I am in Asian this weekend fishing. (Sounds weird) - ;<)

add "an" in that sentance somewhere ;)
I was attempting to replace oriental (the place) with Asian (the place) and that is why the AN was left off. ;<)

Ok, this is getting good. I may through the white 1994 80 series (6 inch lift, 37s, fully locked) in the mix as well. You can use at uwharrie however you take full responsibility of the truck and damage. One day I want a fleet of vehicles that responsible people share and can use as scheduled. I know crazy.

I'll be Debbie Downer here. How do you account for cumulative damage? The stuff that degrades over several times of abuse? Admittedly, I know nothing of the concept you're proposing, so my question is not an attempt to knock the plan but one of education.

I'll be Debbie Downer here. How do you account for cumulative damage? The stuff that degrades over several times of abuse? Admittedly, I know nothing of the concept you're proposing, so my question is not an attempt to knock the plan but one of education.
Great questions. I am way outside the box here. This needs to be considered for car and 4x4s. Ok, I need to put more thought into this. I know the 80 will sit as much as the bmw.

It takes real grown-ups to do a deal like this. I don't think most people can pull it off. I know I couldn't. Here's what I envision happening...something like this: I smoke the clutch by side stepping and doing smoky burnouts and I can feel that it just doesn't feel the same, but it seems to be doing okay while I am driving it. I take to the lot and leave it for you to use next time. You get in two days later and on your leisurely trip to work the clutch starts slipping. Technically it was fine when I drove it and for all I know, you were street racing on your way to work. WE pay for a new clutch. You feel slighted. Same happens with tires, brake pads. I let my dog ride in the car and he chews a hole in the leather seat. Sooner or later you get tired of my BS and paying for half of my F-ups. We are no longer friends. Car falls into disrepair due to neither of us wanting to fix the other guy's abuses. We agree to sell the broken car as a work in progress for 10 percent of what we have in it just to end the pain and suffering.

Last edited:
It takes real grown-ups to do a deal like this. I don't think most people can pull it off. I know I couldn't. Here's what I envision happening...something like this: I smoke the clutch by side stepping and doing smoky burnouts and I can feel that it just doesn't feel the same, but it seems to be doing okay while I am driving it. I take to the lot and leave it for you to use next time. You get in two days later and on your leisurely trip to work the clutch starts slipping. Technically it was fine when I drove it and for all I know, you were street racing on your way to work. WE pay for a new clutch. You feel slighted. Same happens with tires, brake pads. I let my dog ride in the car and he chews a hole in the leather seat. Sooner or later you get tired of my BS and paying for half of my F-ups. We are no longer friends. Car falls into disrepair due to neither of us wanting to fix the other guy's abuses. We agree to sell the broken car as a work in progress for 10 percent of what we have in it just to end the pain and suffering.
Yes it does. This is a 10 to 15 year partnership of people who understand what they are getting into. If you want to maintain and own 5 cars on your on, this is not for you. I want to drive a manual 2 to 3 times a month. I want to go to Uwharrie 3 to 4 times per year. Having these purpose built cars sit around is such a waste when someone else could enjoy them. You have to have to be open to messing things up and responsible for paying your way. The amount of stuff/junk/nice items that sits around in the USA is so strange to me. It makes absolute no sense whatsoever. I know people that have stuff they have not touched in 10 or 20 years and I think it comes from the previous generations where this was important to them. Like a hoarding mentality. Not important to me at all. Also different personality types, feeling slighted sounds like a feeling type response to situations. If you feel slighted or have ever felt slighted, this would not be for you. This is a tool to be used as intended and repaired as needed.

Another idea is to replace certain items every x and we split the costs. Many are handy and we could save a bunch doing the work ourselves.

Last edited:
Kinda with @roadstr6 on this - seems like a nifty idea, but wholly impractical. What is tolerable and "regular" to 1 person is utter BS to someone else. You'll have some folks who have coin but no skills or initiative to do any work; others who have skills and tools but not much disposable income. Seems like a fair balance? until one is footing the bill and the others are doing the work, at which point resentment builds - esp if the guy w/ money is always depending on the goodwill of others, or otherwise the vehicle is in-op or unsafe.

Events, like open or club days at VIR, means only 1 person can go. For the people in this scheme who can't go, might they feel cheated?

Would you share a 4x4 at an ONSC event? Genuine question. If I'm funding a toy vehicle and want to go to an event, and you want to go too, getting 4 hrs seat time over a 3-day weekend is no bueno.

What about insurance?

How do you title a vehicle to several people? can you even do that? If my name's not on the title and we're not married, forget seeing a nickel of my money.

Not throwing a wet blanket on the parade, but the reality to me is sharing a vehicle - while appearing to be "nice" - is just impractical, and will strain or end relationships; and a lot is not being accounted for.

(If this is something people are interested in, I hope the mechanics of it can be worked out.)

I appreciate all the feedback.

Reminds me of the Nortel CEO who asked who would ever text message, when you can call?
Or Blockbluster saying no one would ever order movies on the internet,
or someone saying no one would ever rent their car, www.turo.com
or no one would ever rent their boat, www.boatsetter.com
or no one would ever rent their house, www.vrbo or www.airbnb.com

I know we have a ways to go but I just don't see us leaving all these assets sitting. This is coming one way or the other.

There are 4 events at VIR. I could only do 1 per year. Set a schedule.

There are multiple events at Uwharrie, I usually can make 1 to 2 per year. Set a schedule.

We could figure out insurance and title or maybe run it as a membership. Your input is helping me figure this out and I appreciate it. Looks like it may be better to be a standard schedule of replacement for most wear items.

We will see this kind of car share pretty soon. No one needs multiple dedicated cars sitting around collecting dust with or without cash.

Maybe it is one owner with a monthly membership fee:

Race BMW = $100 a month with a 12 month min
80 series LC = $150 a month with a 12 month min

Keep the ideas coming.

Its a good idea, but I do think I would only really work between very close friends, especially with the timeline you are suggesting.

There is maybe like 5 people I'd do this with in my life and none of them live close enough to me to matter lol. That or it needs to have contracts written up like all the sites you referenced. But even then you do get bad stories from turo with engine damage etc that happens and the owner can't really do much about it.

But that's a personal choice between you and whomever does it with you.

I actually thought of you yesterday. I saw a SC3800 swapped manual fiero for sale. Those things can really fly. Wasn't much more than your 5k budget either.

Last edited:
You could make a local version of the Classic Car Club of Manhattan idea tailored to folks that like to wrench instead of pay dues. They make it work somehow with some high end cars.

You could make a local version of the Classic Car Club of Manhattan idea tailored to folks that like to wrench instead of pay dues. They make it work somehow with some high end cars.
Maybe this is the route. Bring your second car to table to be used by all. You own on it, we all drive it and fix it. And we all share.

Maybe this is the route. Bring your second car to table to be used by all. You own on it, we all drive it and fix it. And we all share.

That would solve a lot of potential contention/questions. Can't co-own a car, or co-own insurance, etc, not unless it was registered to a business entity.

I do believe it is possible to co-own/co-title a car with another person(s) who is/are not your spouse in NC.

Insurance is still a bit tricky.

Edit: Montana LLC scheme is always a possibility 😈

There are a lot of private planes owned by more than 1 person. How they manage shared costs might be worth looking into.

Street legal you say 🤔 🤔 🤔

We'll be at GAA Thurs, want to bid on it on line?? we'll take a look for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom