A/C issue after a few weeks with all new parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tampacruiser95

Upgrades are coming.
Threads
I bought/installed a new compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and the pipes which run from the compressor.

The radiator is full and external tank is at proper level - also don't see any obvious leaks.

Any ideas why my air wouldn't be blowing cold?

Lots of reasons: heater valve, compressor clutch, improperly charged system, to name a few. What are the exact symptoms, does the engine idle up when the AC button is pushed? What are you low and high side pressures?

Lots of reasons: heater valve, compressor clutch, improperly charged system, to name a few. What are the exact symptoms, does the engine idle up when the AC button is pushed? What are you low and high side pressures?
The engine idles up slightly when ac button is pushed and I can hear the compressor kick in like normal. It's blowing air just not cold air. Also no noises or anything out of the ordinary.

Was the AC working before you put all these new parts on?
Did it work for a while after the new parts then stop working?

If yes (and assuming you don't have a leak somewhere and lost all refrigerant) then first thing I would suspect is the system was not flushed and all air removed before it was charged. It takes longer than you might think to remove all the air when you put on a bunch of new parts like that. Check the sight glass for air bubbles. Would also be helpful to see the pressures your system is at.

Was the system vacuumed down and held under vacuum for a minimum of 45 minutes without losing vacuum? It should be done for longer to ensure the moisture in the system is removed. Then charged. Did you replace the reciever/drier when you had the system open? If not then you potentially screwed yourself. It's a giant desiccant cannister and the Florida humidity would fill it with moisture in minutes. What about the expansion valve on the AC core? That is often an issue, became an issue for me over the summer.

Definitely would be nice to know the pressures. If the engine idles up with AC there really aren't that many possible culprits. The heater control valve would be one, easy way to test is, with the engine warm, set temp slider to cold and turn on the blower (no AC) the air coming out of the vents should be roughly the same temp as outside. Other easy thing to check is to makes sure the AC clutch is spinning when the AC is on.
+1 on replacing the receiver/dryer.

Was the system vacuumed down and held under vacuum for a minimum of 45 minutes without losing vacuum? It should be done for longer to ensure the moisture in the system is removed. Then charged. Did you replace the reciever/drier when you had the system open? If not then you potentially screwed yourself. It's a giant desiccant cannister and the Florida humidity would fill it with moisture in minutes. What about the expansion valve on the AC core? That is often an issue, became an issue for me over the summer.
I don't think it was held under vacuum that long. I have a few things to check now. Expansion valve was replaced.

Definitely would be nice to know the pressures. If the engine idles up with AC there really aren't that many possible culprits. The heater control valve would be one, easy way to test is, with the engine warm, set temp slider to cold and turn on the blower (no AC) the air coming out of the vents should be roughly the same temp as outside. Other easy thing to check is to makes sure the AC clutch is spinning when the AC is on.
Clutch is spinning and air feels same as outside.

If you didn't replace the reciever/drier you should do so and then vacuum it down until it doesn't vacuum further and then hold it there for an hour or two to make sure the moisture has been driven from the system. Then recharge through the vacuum manifold, after you purge caught air from attaching the refrigerant.

Pressures would be really useful to diagnose further. Why did you install a new compressor? if the old one failed it possibly contaminated the system with junk that could now be clogging your expansion valve.

Clutch is spinning and air feels same as outside.
Pressures would be really useful to diagnose further. Why did you install a new compressor? if the old one failed it possibly contaminated the system with junk that could now be clogging your expansion valve.
Yeah the old compressor, condenser, and pipes were trash when I bought the truck. It was a known issue, but I thought all was well now. From reading these posts, thinking it could be heater control valve.

Turns out it was a bad o ring that led to a slight leak, changed it out and problem solved. Thanks all

Was the 0-ring torn or pinched on installation, what location?

Mechanic told me it was pinched in the expansion valve. And if I understood correctly, it's the type of O ring that was used first time, they changed out with a higher quality replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom