97 LX450 Price Check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a super clean 1997 LX 450 with 180k miles on it. All seats are perfect and/or re-covered. Completely stock with newer tires. Asking $8500. Thoughts on price and mileage?

way cheap, if all PM done, no rust, no accidents..... I would expect asking to be closer to $10k at least here in SoCal.

Uhhh, if truly "super clean", factory locked and all that stuff done at $10K? Take my money now and I'll go sell it myself at $18K here in Los Angeles. lol The amount of junked out "super clean" ones I've seen in these neck of the woods is laughable.

Sorry, not locked. Open front and rear, only center. Not sure on PM, but I believe so. The Lexus service history shows since 135k miles, so about 50k unknown by Lexus.

Sorry, not locked. Open front and rear, only center. Not sure on PM, but I believe so. The Lexus service history shows since 135k miles, so about 50k unknown by Lexus.

go look at it, take pics, and report back!

Just don't want to get it and it have a HG issue...after searching through the forums it looks like luck of the draw for HG failure. Should I be concerned with 180k miles?

Pics attached

43605043773.473527110.IM1.09.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

43605043778.473527110.IM1.14.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

43605043781.473527110.IM1.17.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

43605043782.473527110.IM1.18.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

43605043767.473527110.IM1.03.1600x1200_A.1600x1200.jpg

Oh, this is the guy who’s near the Shakey’s Pizza in Glendale.

I mean, $8,500 is steep in my opinion, but I paid $5k for one with 129k on the odo and set about trashing it. So your mileage may vary or whatever.

Clean carfax ? Surface rust only on undercarriage? Guess it's a CA truck

Get a good pre-purchase inspection done, worth spending $ on. If it all checks out might be worth jumping on.

Oh, this is the guy who’s near the Shakey’s Pizza in Glendale.

I mean, $8,500 is steep in my opinion, but I paid $5k for one with 129k on the odo and set about trashing it. So your mileage may vary or whatever.
That's right. Thoughts on the dealer? I would love a lower price, but the price on 80s has gotten steep.

Clean carfax ? Surface rust only on undercarriage? Guess it's a CA truck

Get a good pre-purchase inspection done, worth spending $ on. If it all checks out might be worth jumping on.
Yeah, clean carfax. no accidents, no flood. 3 owners IIRC

Well I push my 80 pretty hard, not abusive :slap: but drive it hard. I’m not worried about rpm or the gasket failing. I suppose I have a feel for the machine.
You gotta test drive everything to know the quirks and to feel, understand if mechanicals are out of balance. I worked on a used car lot once, you have to figure out weather it’s boom or bust real quick. Take it and spend $100+ on an inspection if your not sure where to look. Don’t gamble, well maybe a little..good luck.

Any recommendations for PPI in the LA area that would know 80 series?

When I drove out to LA and picked up mine, it was a toss up between one from him and one from a private seller. I talked to the guy a few times, he rarely has any history for the trucks he offers and asks more than he should with zero flexibility. He’s not rude, but not my ideal car seller.

I wound up going with the private seller.

For what it’s worth, if the head is going to pop, it’s going to pop. If you’re worried about that, you should probably buy something else.

Any recommendations for PPI in the LA area that would know 80 series?

@NLXTACY has had some experience with this shop - he may have some input or be willing to do a PPI.

My brutally honest thoughts... that's far from super clean.

I also recognize that car lot. It's got a bunch of old 4runners and LCs stored outdoors all day in Glendale w/ his listings plastered all over craigslist and autotrader. Not the most professional outfit. I checked out an fzj80 with five figure miles listed at $20K+ there. What he advertised as clean was at best average condition in my eyes, but I'm a pretty finicky buyer.

having gone thru this recently twice, if you're not a wrench and you care about the integrity offered by OEM parts, be prepared to spend $3-4Kish alone in new hoses, radiator, water pump, heater control valve, PHH, suspension bushings bolts, axle refresh parts, brakes, belts, fan clutch, wits end parts crack etc for a true baseline job. stash $5-6K in labor and then another 10K+ in case sht hits fan with the engine ( again, if you're not a wrench like me).

cliff notes, i'd get it checked out thoroughly so you know what you're getting into. i just felt a little creeped out by the owner there. stereotypical used car sales man feel reppin' a land cruiser humane society except no cute dogs to make you feel good about it.

Last edited:
I recognize that car lot. It's got a bunch of old 4runners and LCs stored outdoors all day in Glendale w/ his listings plastered all over craigslist and autotrader. Not the most professional outfit. I checked out an fzj80 with five figure miles listed at $20K+ there. What he advertised as clean was at best average condition in my eyes, but I'm a pretty finicky buyer.

having gone thru this recently twice, if you're not a wrench and you care about the integrity offered by OEM parts, be prepared to spend $3-4Kish alone in new hoses, radiator, water pump, heater valve control, PHH, suspension bushings, axle refresh parts,brakes etc for a true baseline job. stash $5-6K in labor and then another 10K+ in case sht hits fan with the engine ( again, if you're not a wrench like me).

cliff notes, i'd get it checked out thoroughly so you know what you're getting into. i just felt a little creeped out by the owner there. stereotypical used car sales man feel. no can do.
I can wrench well, so not scared of what I'm getting into, but varies so much on each specific 80. And from a dealer is fine, as long as its not just lipstick on a pig for the actual vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom