97 LX450 Price Check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IF paint is good (except for bumpers) that would be $10K-12K in my market (Texas metroplex areas).

80 Series prices have gone up around here over the last 3 years.

Nope, my inspection days are over. I’ve got literally 100s of things more important to do than PPI a vehicle intended NOT for me or my R&D efforts :p

This outfit is run by two brothers. One of them is a Land Cruiser fanatic but definitely NOT the most knowledgeable. He likes them, buys them, strips them to make others more presentable. Nothing wrong with that per se but I’d always prefer something with a known history.

Also, as to pricing, there is a lot of wild assumptions of where it should be. This being LA, this is a $6k truck MAX given the images available only and it would only go down from there if someone knowledgeable pours over it.

This dealer knows me and knows of me and has told me I’m not his favorite person though we did have some good conversations :p

Nope, my inspection days are over. I’ve got literally 100s of things more important to do than PPI a vehicle intended NOT for me or my R&D efforts :p

This outfit is run by two brothers. One of them is a Land Cruiser fanatic but definitely NOT the most knowledgeable. He likes them, buys them, strips them to make others more presentable. Nothing wrong with that per se but I’d always prefer something with a known history.

Also, as to pricing, there is a lot of wild assumptions of where it should be. This being LA, this is a $6k truck MAX given the images available only and it would only go down from there if someone knowledgeable pours over it.

This dealer knows me and knows of me and has told me I’m not his favorite person though we did have some good conversations :p
Thanks for the honesty.

Pricing has become very subjective. Most LX and LC 80s I've found are usually way north of 200k miles and north of $10k and still have questionable histories.

Thanks for the honesty.

Pricing has become very subjective. Most LX and LC 80s I've found are usually way north of 200k miles and north of $10k and still have questionable histories.

And so long as people are willing to pay $10k+ it'll continue to be a $10k+ market but honestly this isn't that specimen.

And so long as people are willing to pay $10k+ it'll continue to be a $10k+ market but honestly this isn't that specimen.

^^^^^ Agree its not perfect....but pretty clean. If it drives well and has any service history to speak of...it might be worth it. I know its all about which 'market' it is in. At $10K (just judging from the pics) it wouldn't last a week where I live.

It has aftermarket plug wires (no real foul), possibly a newer radiator (judging by the color and looks of the plastic top). Recovered seats, decent tires, All the original hoses, clamps and paint marks are on it. Doesn't look like the valve cover has ever been off, or it has..the half moon pucks weren't removed. So yes, like any used vehicle it will require a thorough 'Base Line', but I wish it were for sale in my neck of the woods. Looks promising...anyway.

Enjoyment is remembered long after the price is forgotten :steer:

although I must admit I paid less for our LX with lockers and S/C and only 150K miles at the time

UPDATE: Had a professional do a PPI on this vehicle and it is NOT what the pics would seem. His assessment is serious valve train noise, noise from the bottom of the engine and overall not a vehicle where the engine is likely to last long. There are pics he sent where the coolant is filled with what appears to be some head sealer with metal flakes.

My recommendation echoes what others have said here: DO NOT BUY FROM THIS DEALER.

I'm posting this as a word to the wise after spending $200 on a PPI and others, like me, who are looking for a clean 80. I wouldn't recommend any of his vehicles if the PPI done on this one is an indication of what has been done to "prep" them for market.

Cheers!

1st thing I always look at when inspecting any "well maintained" car is.... the color of the brake fluid. That tells u what you need to know.

Any kind of serious engine noise...is of course a deal breaker.

1st thing I always look at when inspecting any "well maintained" car is.... the color of the brake fluid. That tells u what you need to know.

Funny you should bring up brake fluid color as a tell tail of how well a car has been maintained. I've had customers say to me they had no idea that brake fluid was supposed to be clear. They went on to tell me they though the manufacturers made the fluid with that maple syrup color so you could tell how full the fluid was in the plastic see through master cylinder. That's when i told them the reason it has that maple syrup color was due to water inside their brake system, rusting their system from the inside out, and in fact new fluid is clear. Most customers had no idea that brake fluid is Hydroscopic, and is supposed to be changed every two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom