97 lx450 lockers issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a used LX450. Guy tells me this:

Biggest thing is the FR/RR lockers do not engage, the relay connection to the CDL needs to be replaced. In 4lo, the CDL bulb needs to be replaced but the center diff locks, engages and actuates. Basically, the cars ECU doesn’t know the CDL is engaged, which is why the RR/FR lockers only blink in 4lo.

Anyone know if this is a reasonable fix, how to fix it, and how much $$?

appreciate the look

If the CDL engages, its probably just a stuck position switch. Relatively cheap and easy for someone who knows their way around an 80 series. Hard to say exactly what it is without actually diagnosing it.

It is also possible the actuators on the diffs are in need of some love. That can get spendy. If you purchase the vehicle, I'd look under it and confirm it actually has locker diffs (you can tell by looking if they have an actuator on them or not) prior to shelling out any money. I've got some knowledgeable friends there in Henderson if you need someone to look it over with you. I can make some calls and see what they'd charge.

Looking to buy a used LX450. Guy tells me this:

Biggest thing is the FR/RR lockers do not engage, the relay connection to the CDL needs to be replaced. In 4lo, the CDL bulb needs to be replaced but the center diff locks, engages and actuates. Basically, the cars ECU doesn’t know the CDL is engaged, which is why the RR/FR lockers only blink in 4lo.

Anyone know if this is a reasonable fix, how to fix it, and how much $$?

appreciate the look
As in the post above.
Look at the door sticker for K294, AND crawl under to visually see the lockers.
Dash bulb replacement is cheap, a little hassle, but I doubt that is the issue.
Believing the PO who's motivated to sell is like trusting a politician to tell the truth.

Also, if there is a CDL switch installed and the Pin 7 Mod has been done, the CDL switch must be activated for the lockers to engage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom