97 Land Cruiser charcoal canister replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been replaced and it fixed my problem, sort of.

I live in a small town where most of my trips are probably less than a mile. Every couple months I do take her out on the highway and it would start running rough at about 30-40 miles and the engine light would come on. Readout showed number six cylinder. Plug looked good but was replaced. Next trip, same deal in every way, 30-40 miles ran rough, engine light, number six cylinder.

Then I gassed up and noticed the pressure coming from the tank. Thanks to this forum, I replaced the cylinder and it fixed the problem. Ran her 150 miles there and 150 miles back. Ran smooth, no pressure, no light.

Next time out on the highway it started running rough again at 30-40 miles out, engine light, and to be honest, I have not checked the code. No pressure from the tank.

Am I being fooled by randomness or are these symptoms related? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

What did you mean when you said you replaced the cylinder? Do you mean canister? If so with a used OEM? Or brand new aftermarket?
Charcoal canister will not cause rough idling. Check your fuel filter. When was the last time you had a tune up?
replacing spark plugs, air filters, fuel filters, and inspecting and cleaning other components of the engine, such as the PCV valve, ignition wires, and distributor cap and rotor.

What did you mean when you said you replaced the cylinder? Do you mean canister? If so with a used OEM? Or brand new aftermarket?
Charcoal canister will not cause rough idling. Check your fuel filter. When was the last time you had a tune up?
replacing spark plugs, air filters, fuel filters, and inspecting and cleaning other components of the engine, such as the PCV valve, ignition wires, and distributor cap and rotor.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, my bad, canister. New Duralast Vapor Canister VC120, thanks to the helpful posts here on this forum.

I understand the concept of replacing all parts that might be the culprit, especially if they are maintenance items anyways. The vehicle has been rock solid, but I did have one of these intermittent, difficult to diagnose problems in the past. Three mechanics, lots of time and money with no joy, until a reply on this forum led us to a fusible link.

The odd thing about the current issue is that the pressure from the gas tank and the rough running both only occurred after some time on the highway. The canister oddly seemed to remedy both, until the roughness returned. It runs perfectly around town, but after a bit of time on the highway it suddenly runs rough. Get it home and with a good night's rest the problem is gone. After a battery disconnect, the engine light is gone also.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cylinder 6 you say?
Check radiator for oil or low level due to blown head gasket

Thank you for your reply. And the uptick in my anxiety level. :)

I went through the blown head gasket routine on another vehicle not that long ago, so I pretty well knew what to look for in the oil and the coolant.

After sprinting out to the driveway, all is well.

Well worth checking, thank you.

Miles?

-Fuel filter could be clogged
-Fuel pump could be intermittent
-TPS sensor....(intermittently flashing check engine light for no apparent readon)
but w/out the code it's like throwing darts

You can also disconnect the line from the tank to the charocol canister to eliminate that variable......and drive it like that.

180K. Would you suggest running it until the light comes on and getting the code?
Definitely. Its a starting point to the issue. Most common is code P0401. EGR.....caused by carbon build up. Easy fix or $$ with OEM parts. You can bypass the P0401 with a 1ohm register hack to trick the ECU.
Huddexpo sells them $36 (EGR temp sensor plug)

Last edited:
Definitely. Its a starting point to the issue. Most common is code P0401. EGR.....caused by carbon build up. Easy fix or $$ with OEM parts. You can bypass the P0401 with a 1ohm register hack to trick the ECU.
Huddexpo sells them $36 (EGR temp sensor plug)

P0306

Ran her out of town for 55 miles with no luck. (Wondered how many folks head out into the land of no services and sketchy cell service hoping for their engine light to come on) :)

Grabbed a gallon of milk before heading home and the light and symptoms appeared after a restart. Autozone tried twice but they had some issues. Thank you O'Reilly.

Ok...
P306 is Cylinder 6 misfire:
-Could be the harness under the RGR is cooked
-Spark plug and spark plug wire to #6
And check Rotor cap
-Due a #6 injector check or service
-Last and not least due a leak test and compression test

If coolant is being consumed then it's an early indication if HG but you mentioned you replaced the cylinder.

Ok...
P306 is Cylinder 6 misfire:
-Could be the harness under the RGR is cooked
-Spark plug and spark plug wire to #6
And check Rotor cap
-Due a #6 injector check or service
-Last and not least due a leak test and compression test

If coolant is being consumed then it's an early indication if HG but you mentioned you replaced the cylinder.

Much appreciated. Pardon my ignorance, what is an RGR?

I'm not sure how much good intuition is without some level of expertise, but mine is starting to tell me this is somehow heat related.
You can peak under the EGR location to see if the PO had wrapped the harness.
P306 could be any slew of causes but 180k is not too high of a mileage but parts or your 97 is 25 yrs old. I believe I had replaced 85% of parts in my 93 due to age. Only the engine and tranny mounts are original.
To to make it short, you need to find a reputable toyota mechanic that knows our vehicles.

You can peak under the EGR location to see if the PO had wrapped the harness.
P306 could be any slew of causes but 180k is not too high of a mileage but parts or your 97 is 25 yrs old. I believe I had replaced 85% of parts in my 93 due to age. Only the engine and tranny mounts are original.
To to make it short, you need to find a reputable toyota mechanic that knows our vehicles.

Understood. I believe my go to mechanic is quite good. Hard to develop expertise in any one vehicle here in a small town however.

Understood. I believe my go to mechanic is quite good. Hard to develop expertise in any one vehicle here in a small town however.
To clarify, you have to open up the loom for the harness where it passes the EGR pipe and inspect for damage. If you find any exposed wires peel it back a bit more and then get them sorted out before putting it back together and then adding the heat resistant wrap and securing the harness so it doesn't touch the EGR pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom