‘96 FZJ80 Rad Replacement with ‘93-95 Rad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had a crack in the radiator of my 1996 FZJ80, so was doing some research on what the best replacement would be. I decided I’d like to stay OEM, and after reading some forums I decided to go with the ‘93-95 rad (16400-66040), as many said it cools more efficiently than the ‘96 rad.

Now, I’m wondering if there’s any other extra parts I’ll need to make this change (not talking about extra replacements while I’ve got it opened up, already got a majority of rubber hoses/parts replaced a while back)? Specifically, I’ve read that the mounting brackets are slightly different with the older rad. Does anyone know if those brackets come with the older rad when ordered from a Toyota dealership, or will they need to be ordered separately?

Thanks.

I recently had a crack in the radiator of my 1996 FZJ80, so was doing some research on what the best replacement would be. I decided I’d like to stay OEM, and after reading some forums I decided to go with the ‘93-95 rad (16400-66040), as many said it cools more efficiently than the ‘96 rad.

Now, I’m wondering if there’s any other extra parts I’ll need to make this change (not talking about extra replacements while I’ve got it opened up, already got a majority of rubber hoses/parts replaced a while back)? Specifically, I’ve read that the mounting brackets are slightly different with the older rad. Does anyone know if those brackets come with the older rad when ordered from a Toyota dealership, or will they need to be ordered separately?

Thanks.
Good luck finding one.

Good luck finding one.
Actually just ordered one from the parts department at my local Toyota dealership. I suppose it’s not exactly the same as the true OEM rads made in the 90s in terms of production method, but pretty close.

Why? They are readily available.
Oh, ok. I was thinking those were "gone".

My mistake. Then why were others asking if the 95-97 one would fit the older ones?

IDK.

I just know I'll replace mine with OEM.

Oh, ok. I was thinking those were "gone".

My mistake. Then why were others asking if the 95-97 one would fit the older ones?

IDK.

I just know I'll replace mine with OEM.

Because they probably want to go with an aluminum radiator (16400-66081) vs. brass (16400-66040).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom