95 - new exhaust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm in Hillsborough. Hoping someone local can point me in the right direction.

Just started to change my front O2 and both the nuts and flange are gone. I figure it's time for new exhaust since I removed my running board and hate the low cats. I can't weld, but I can wrench. Can anyone recommend either *good* DIY options or a local shop [~hour away] that knows cruiser exhaust?

I'm not afraid to spend money for quality but I don't need hot rod exhaust, either.

Henry’s has come highly recommended in rdu in the Past. Maybe a drive but familiar with cruisers and does good work.

I’d buy a *genuine magnaflow y pipe. 2 denso O2 sensors plus gaskets,studs, nuts, and find a mom n pop spot with good reviews or vibe and tell them exactly what you want.

I've had exhaust work done on my 80 at Allen's Muffler Shop in Durham and they are good. I've heard good things about Henry's as well but Allen's is a lot closer for me.

Thanks. Just ordered the Magnaflow pipe. I'm thinking the OTRAMM kit will be the way to go for me, but this is my daily so I'm hoping I can install the Y-pipe to run while I wait since it's not a quick turnaround.

Im gonna hijack this thread for a minute. Does anyone know if the 95-97 y pipe will fit on 94 manifolds?

yes, i run one on mine. but the 94 has 2 side by side cats that exit into a 2 to 1 pipe and turns up over the frame.

the 2 cats will have to go (no big deal the cat on the 95-97 pipe is large enough to handle the volume)
the 2 into 1 turn up pipe and you will need to be replaced with a couple 90 degree bends. and exhaust shop can handle that.

IMG_20170907_105225157.jpg

IMG_20170907_155832909_HDR.jpg

yes, i run one on mine. but the 94 has 2 side by side cats that exit into a 2 to 1 pipe and turns up over the frame.

the 2 cats will have to go (no big deal the cat on the 95-97 pipe is large enough to handle the volume)
the 2 into 1 turn up pipe and you will need to be replaced with a couple 90 degree bends. and exhaust shop can handle that.

View attachment 2659010

View attachment 2659011
Thanks. I moved the 02's to the manifold and my exhaust looks like swis cheese.

Mainly just to reduce the amount of clutter under the frame that could snag on a rock.

I had dual aftermarket cats for a while as well as a 2 to 1 cat but they rested out pretty quick. The down pipes are getting pretty bad and needed replaced so I saw the mangnaflow and went with that because of the simplicity.

I just blocked off the o2 bunghole on the MagnaFlow in front of the cat since I've moved my o2 sensors to the manifold as well.

Since the emissions operate on a open loopy (there's no sensor feedback) it doesn't really care what's after the o2 sensors so it doesn't make a difference if you have a cat or not, engine runs off a set of programmed instructions.
Obviously our environment will thank you if you have cats on but they offer no guidance or improvement to the engine running condition.

Since the emissions operate on a open loopy (there's no sensor feedback) it doesn't really care what's after the o2 sensors so it doesn't make a difference if you have a cat or not, engine runs off a set of programmed instructions.
Obviously our environment will thank you if you have cats on but they offer no guidance or improvement to the engine running condition.
So the O2 sensors are only for CEL (maybe limp mode if 80s do that)?

Wow.

the o2 sensors are there to try and keep your AFR at 14.7 . But both sensors are upstream. Each sensor controls 3 cylinders.
Pre 95 do not have a downstream sensor to tell whether the o2 sensor and cat are doing there job

So the O2 sensors are only for CEL (maybe limp mode if 80s do that)?

Wow.
We are speaking specifically of a '94 FZJ80. OBD1.

the o2 sensors are there to try and keep your AFR at 14.7 . But both sensors are upstream. Each sensor controls 3 cylinders.
Pre 95 do not have a downstream sensor to tell whether the o2 sensor and cat are doing there job
OK, but that's closed loop. That's where I was surprised. It's likely a narrowband that just tells Rich/Good/Lean and uses that data. Some ECUs utilize wideband O2 sensors that use algorithms to adjust fueling near realtime based on tables + closed loop feedback. I wasn't sure how sophisticated the 1FZ was.

narrow band is probably right. it is very limited as to what it can do. i have to add a piggyback device (that has fuel map) that ties into the O2 sensors to lie to the factory computer to add fuel under boost. as well as a 7th injector and controller to supply that fuel.

I know I’m late to party. But the shop I work for does custom exhaust. Bull city radiator. We are right off 70 before Hillsborough. Just in case you ever need help.

Hey John! We met one afternoon in front of your shop. I saw your white 100 and stopped to talk. I didn't realize you did exhaust.

I haven't ordered anything besides the Y-pipe. Let me get that in the truck and I'll stop by. It will probably be a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Hey John! We met one afternoon in front of your shop. I saw your white 100 and stopped to talk. I didn't realize you did exhaust.

I haven't ordered anything besides the Y-pipe. Let me get that in the truck and I'll stop by. It will probably be a couple of weeks.
Ahh yes. I remember. We’ll be here. We’ve been wide ass open. With all the stolen Catalytic converter‘s. But come on by I’ll fit you in. When ever your ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom