95 4RUNNER sr5 - leaking rear diff abs sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had mine not seat in the speedo end. Could have sworn it clicked it but it didn't. I went through what you are. Was pretty frustrating. Good luck. I hope you got it.
Well - it didn't last long... so I pulled the cluster and made sure to reseat the cable. Worked on a short test drive. Went to drive it today, didn't last more than a half mile - but here is the weird thing, the trip odo is still working - albeit .1 miles every 10 or so, not exactly inspiring.

Also - the CEL is coming on around 3500 rpms and then goes off seconds after whereas the old cluster would trigger the CEL around 3000 rpms and stay on until I turned off and then back on.

Feeling so perplexed by this. Gear looks fine. New OEM cable is spinning with cluster pulled. Cluster starts to work then drops off. I do have a very steep driveway and so i thought maybe it was a fluid issue draining to the back of TC or expanding from the heat.

Open to all thoughts... thanks!

Well - it didn't last long... so I pulled the cluster and made sure to reseat the cable. Worked on a short test drive. Went to drive it today, didn't last more than a half mile - but here is the weird thing, the trip odo is still working - albeit .1 miles every 10 or so, not exactly inspiring.

Also - the CEL is coming on around 3500 rpms and then goes off seconds after whereas the old cluster would trigger the CEL around 3000 rpms and stay on until I turned off and then back on.

Feeling so perplexed by this. Gear looks fine. New OEM cable is spinning with cluster pulled. Cluster starts to work then drops off. I do have a very steep driveway and so i thought maybe it was a fluid issue draining to the back of TC or expanding from the heat.

And again today - same deal - the speedo works cold and then about .25 mile later, not working again...

Is there any guidance on the distance the cable needs to be seated in the gear, as set by torque? I just tightened the sucker in there until it would turn no more.

Considering its a "new" to me cluster I could pull it and try to clean the speedo gauge and relube it but there are no sounds and it moved smoothly when i tested it before installing it.

Feeling so perplexed by this. Gear looks fine. New OEM cable is spinning with cluster pulled.

This is interesting. I replaced my speedometer cable not too long ago. One day, it died. I wonder if there was a bad batch. I swapped in another cable, but I haven't had a chance to take the truck for a putt.

I tore into a speedometer on a 1990 pickup that was not accurate. It had the original gear ratio and stock tire size so I didn't understand the problem.

It WAS accurate at lower speeds and above 50 or so it was way off.

Something I learned when I had it apart was that the odometer was directly gear driven by the cable but the speedometer pointer is actually magnetically driven.

I cleaned it, tried different lubes and never got it to read accurately. IDK if it loses magnetism or what but I couldn't fix it. I bought a used cluster cheap (bad tach) and swapped in the speedo to my cluster and it worked properly.

IDK if your speedometer is the same design. Just something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom