'94 Pickup. Sell as-is, or do the work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking of selling my old truck.

It's in great shape for a 25 year old truck with 230k on it, but I've been deferring a lot of maintenance since the Land Cruiser has been getting all the attention. I got a new Tacoma to replace it, but the Taco isn't my favorite truck!

Right now the looming issue is this:

Looks like the rear output shaft of the TC is slinging grease. It's had a driveline vibration for some time, so maybe it's taken out the bearing? Is that something a 🍌 mechanic like myself could tackle?

I'd like to fix up the the truck to the point I could get decent money for it, but I'm afraid of diminishing returns.
Also has an exhaust leak. The manifold is warped and one of the manifold studs is pulling out of the head, so needs a heli-coil.
I have a new water pump that needs to go in, and also cab-mount bushings too.
I'm also pretty sure the timing chain sliders are toast by now.
Still has the original clutch!

I was going to wait for warmer weather to do the work, but now have someone interested in buying it, so should I just sell it for cheap?

I appreciate any opinions. This is the truck, it's all original, unmolested.

Sell as is, you'll never get it all done and sounds like the cruiser needs attention.
The new owner will have the energy to do to it what they want.
Make someone a sweet deal so all can feel good about it!

I paid $2k for one with rusty cab corners and a 3.slO.
That truck kicked my ass and I sold it for $900 with blown head gaskets.

$3k for no rust, 22re, 4x4 and extra cab sounds like something I'd go look at.
Maybe more?

Thanks guys, I was thinking about $3k, but not sure if that was realistic with the work needed.

I agree, sell it as is and let the new owner do the maintenance. It's a great way for them to get to learn the truck and figure out what it's all about. I only really go out of my way to fix it up if I'm going to ask a premium for it because it's in nice shape or collectible somehow.

I'd say start at $4500 and take offers. It's a nice truck and $3k is a little low..especially with a 22RE. That makes it more desirable IMO.

That’s $6,000 all day long in Seattle or Vancouver BC. Honestly, I’d keep it...

Exactly. Don’t sell it for $3000, that’s for sure!

Exactly. Don’t sell it for $3000, that’s for sure!
More in the midwestern rust belt....

You guys really think so? I don't usually see rigs with 230k miles on them selling for that much, but you know what screw it ask $5500 and see what feedback you get! You can always start high and go lower.

Wow, all this positive feed back is really encouraging!

Maybe if I just keep it, it will eventually obtain FJ40 status? :p

How about the TC issue though? Can someone tell me what's going on there. Just the seal, or bearing too? Need to drop the TC?

The failed bearing might be the chicken and the vibration and leak (worn TC seal) are the egg. Usually if it's bad enough to wipe out an oil seal you should be able to crawl under there and grab the driveshaft and give it a shake and feel the movement if that truly is the case.

If it were closer I'd snag it. You wouldn't believe what a used car dealer around here gets for a rusted out Tacoma. They all have rust even if the frame has been replaced. Pre-96 trucks simply aren't found on lots because they are all nearly rusted in half. I've been searching T100's and every single one is rusted out and beat to hell.

The failed bearing might be the chicken and the vibration and leak (worn TC seal) are the egg. Usually if it's bad enough to wipe out an oil seal you should be able to crawl under there and grab the driveshaft and give it a shake and feel the movement if that truly is the case.

If it were closer I'd snag it. You wouldn't believe what a used car dealer around here gets for a rusted out Tacoma. They all have rust even if the frame has been replaced. Pre-96 trucks simply aren't found on lots because they are all nearly rusted in half. I've been searching T100's and every single one is rusted out and beat to hell.

Go buy it!! If it's already priced better than all the rusted trucks over there I think you can afford to have it shipped or do an awesome road trip. ;)

Usually if it's bad enough to wipe out an oil seal you should be able to crawl under there and grab the driveshaft and give it a shake and feel the movement if that truly is the case.
I did try that and I didn't notice any real movement, but then I may not be a good judge of these things.

So can the seal be replaced with the TC in place?

I’m not 100% positive on this, but I believe it can.
Thanks, I'd like to be able to tell the new owner "Yeah, that's an easy swap".

Well, I see you quoted me, but best you don’t with the new owner. Although everything is “relatively” easy.

Here is a good ad for comparison:

:flipoff2:

The nut holding the flange on will be staked, torqued to 80 ft-lb and corroded after all those years. And a puller will be needed to get the flange off. Not exactly 🍌 but doable with the right tools and swearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom