94 issues, What to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have seen some discussion on this but not a clear answer that I could find. Have a 94, the engine is worn out (300,000+ miles), and trying to figure out what to do. Was thinking of just rebuilding the engine and adding a supercharger. Well, can't find a supercharger for a 94 engine (i assume it's because of the fuel system, not the mechanical aspects). It seems the 94 being pre-OBDII will have a difficult time adjusting to the extra fuel needed with the supercharger. So then I started thinking about upgrading to a 96-97 engine, converting to OBDII, and adding the supercharger but that adds its own problems. Some seem to say the trans will work out of my 94 (A442F) some say it won't, from what I can tell only the 95 engine has the possibility of working with my trans but that is if it is an OBDI engine which wouldn't help my issue. Not that big of an issue, willing to replace the trans, doubt the old one would handle a new engine, especially with a supercharger. Now I am in an engine, trans, and now the wiring harness and ECM would need to be replaced. All of this to get a 300 HP engine (maybe). So then I started reading about diesel swaps, V8's (Toyota or LS). Now I am just trying to figure out the bang for the buck kind of thing. I am a good wrench, have access to practically any tool needed, including a lift, and a mill. Just not sure I guess. The 96-97 OBDII conversion with the supercharger seems the simplest, same mounts, no real custom fabrication, and gets some decent power. NOT WORRIED ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY AT ALL. But then if I have to replace all of this should I just go big or go home? If I am missing something in the 96-97 engine swap let me know, (i have the ability to program modules also, but just the factory software with a pass-thru device). Sorry if this is just talking about things already done but I couldn't really find a clear answer searching the forum.

What indications from your engine tell you it is worn out? If you are hell bent on forced induction, sell the 94 and buy the best OBD2 80 series you afford.

What indications from your engine tell you it is worn out? If you are hell bent on forced induction, sell the 94 and buy the best OBD2 80 series you afford.
Low compression, blow by on 2 cylinders. Not he’ll bent on anything, just trying to figure out if I have everything figured. Even finding parts for a 96-97 OBDII is difficult

I offer no advice but feel your pain. I also have a new paint and decent '94 and was diagnosed today (after severe misfiring and idle issues) with only 20# on cyl 5/6. Considering a swap so subscribing!

I offer no advice but feel your pain. I also have a new paint and decent '94 and was diagnosed today (after severe misfiring and idle issues) with only 20# on cyl 5/6. Considering a swap so subscribing!
Doing an engine rebuild isn’t bad, but if I am going to spend all that time might as well do some upgrading.

Blow by at 200k miles is very rare. This is middle aged for the 1fz. You might want to look into it deeper.

Oh, my apologies, 300k plus not 200. Well, it sucks to be you new guy because mine runs like a top at 305k. You’ll be a hit here if you just keep posting you poor attitude wrapped up in those cute, incomplete sentences.
It’s at 300k, and I know how to do a blow by test. I’m not asking for some to diagnose my problem, I am very capable of that.

Oh, my apologies, 300k plus not 200. Well, it sucks to be you new guy because mine runs like a top at 305k. You’ll be a hit here if you just keep posting you poor attitude wrapped up in those cute, incomplete sentences.
X2 on that! 332k here and it runs like a top as well. In fact it runs smoother than my 2013 Tacoma with a fraction of the miles.

On a second note, I’d honesty rebuild mine if and when it comes down to it rather than doing a swap.

Actually found new/rebuilt engine for a 94, a programmable ECM, and a supercharger. Just need to figure out the cost of the other options which at this point is either a 96 OBDII conversion, or a V8 swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom