94 FZJ Speedometer stopped after undercarriage wash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As stated in the title, 192,000 miles. Worked on the way to the coin op, now pegged at zero. No idiot lights on. The sensor is wet or I dislodged the plug with spray. I think. Nothing in the Haynes, I don't own a FSM. Searched posts but nothing that fits my situation. Thanks in advance for any help.

Can you post up a photo of the rear of your transfer case looking from the left side?

Here you go.

PXL_20230622_003201234.jpg

PXL_20230622_003129191_1.jpg

Looks like you have a leak at the sensor; you could clean that off by hand,
disconnect the harness connector (double check that it's not broken), clean out the connector and the sensor side using Contact Cleaner, reconnect to see if your speedo is working.

To fix the leak, IIRC, you'll need an O-ring and a seal, should be 96711-24030 and 90310-09001.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a leak at the sensor; you could clean that off by hand,
disconnect the harness connector (double check that it's not broken),
clean out the connector and the sensor side, reconnect to see if your speedo is working.

To fix the leak you'll need O-ring 96711-24030 (I forget, there may be two different O-rings??).
Thanks very much, will try tomorrow. Is there any other connection that would be affected by water or the blasting?

Edited my post, there should be another seal in there (90310-09001), been awhile since I've worked on those myself.

Better to clean that area off by hand (don't blast it with Carb or Brake cleaner as those can damage the rubber boots, plastic, etc).
Clean the inside of the connectors with Contact cleaner.

Here's a couple of previous threads:

Last edited:
Can confirm those are the right parts for speedo sensor/shaft seal.

IIRC the inner seal can be easily removed using a small pick.

As stated in the title, 192,000 miles. Worked on the way to the coin op, now pegged at zero. No idiot lights on. The sensor is wet or I dislodged the plug with spray. I think. Nothing in the Haynes, I don't own a FSM. Searched posts but nothing that fits my situation. Thanks in advance for any help.
FSMs can be found in the resources section. Throw the Haynes in the recycle bin.

This wire on my 94 was completely detached and loose from connectors at both ends on my 94. I noticed it hanging there when doing a tranny flush last week and dropped right out of the ring terminals.

I *assumed* simple ground and replaced with snug run of grounding braid?

braid.jpg

Going to give the outer seal a shot, the inner sounds intimidating- fingers crossed
I've done them both. No need be concerned. :banana: job, and fairly quick too. I took my time and still less than 30min or so.

Hi all, after a business trip and waiting for parts I installed the seal, O ring and cleaned and dried the connector. Still no speedo and the cruise control is inop as well. I'm assuming it's a bad VSS, correct? Very cheap on eBay, any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi all, after a business trip and waiting for parts I installed the seal, O ring and cleaned and dried the connector. Still no speedo and the cruise control is inop as well. I'm assuming it's a bad VSS, correct? Very cheap on eBay, any suggestions? Thanks!
Hi all, reviewed my post and spell check got me saying I had already replaced the inner seal and outer o ring. Today, finally installed a new VSS along with the seal and ring- no speedo or cruise control. Reading an electrical schematic is for me like reading Mongolian. Is there an easy-ish way to check the cluster? Thanks

I don't have the answer but here's a couple of previous threads with good information on the subject if you haven't found them already:

I don't have the answer but here's a couple of previous threads with good information on the subject if you haven't found them already:

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom