Broken Speedometer Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought my '94, the speedometer didn't work. I did some Googling and turned up the VSS as a likely culprit. There was a good deal on NOS Toyota units on eBay, so I bought one. Didn't fix it.

I read somewhere (here or maybe Expedition Portal?) about the speedometer circuit board looking 'burnt'. Sure enough, mine did, right at the top:

I took a brass brush to it (the 'toothbrush' type) and the "burnt" stuff came right off, revealing two damaged circuits:

The left half of the top circuit was still intact, but looked really sketchy, so I did a two-step repair on that part. The speedometer works great now, though the tripmeter is still non-functional, except for the tenths digit.

I don't know what caused the circuit to fail like that. I can't imagine that it's somehow collecting moisture there. The lower circuit is really thin, so I can see how it might eventually burn out, but it still seems weird. I noticed that there are a few capacitors that look like the Nichicon ESR capacitors that are known to leak and corrode circuits. Lexus guys have found that leaking capacitors are damaging their ECUs in a similar way, but I haven't read much about that on Mud. Here's a link to the discussion on Club Lexus:

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor) - Club Lexus Forums

Hope that helps someone.

Last edited:
Yeah I want to fix my trip-meter, dam thing died :crybaby:

My circuitboard looks almost identical to yours, did this work?

Yep, it's been working great for months.

I recently discovered a product that would probably work great for repairing these kinds of problems without soldering: CAIG CircuitWriter. It's a conductive ink pen. $20 at Fry's.

Yep, it's been working great for months.

I recently discovered a product that would probably work great for repairing these kinds of problems without soldering: CAIG CircuitWriter. It's a conductive ink pen. $20 at Fry's.

Hah! I actually just tried that without success. Going to try doing the wire method you used.

Is there a particular type of wire you used to solder the joints together? Here's what mine looks like:

VQkWJFQ.jpg

By the way, thanks for your fast response!

Update, attempted the wire solder without success. It's possible I need to make more connections or that my soldering skills are bad. Will attempt more tomorrow:

1vFQ4uI.jpg

When I did mine, I put a multimeter on contacts along the various circuits checking for continuity.

And you might want to get a softer brass-bristle brush. It looks like yours was a bit harsh. :)

I have been working through a nonoperational speedometer and odometer (cruise control works) and I'm thinking I might have a burnt path like the images above. Is this circuit board located inside the cluster?

The odometer module sits inside the cluster. There is a thread somewhere about how to remove the speedo to repair the broken gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom