93-94 oxygen sensor and new exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay the factory style Y pipe for 93-94 isn't available and even if it was I want to move away from the dual sideways cats so for those that have installed the Magnaflow Y pipe or even the Bosal 95-97 replacement Y pipe what did you do as far as the oxygen sensors? My 93 has 2 sensors, one for each cat. The replacement pipes have one sensor bung in them. Can I just unplug a sensor or do I need to weld in another bung? Heres my plan for redoing the exhaust when the time comes, sooner rather than later. Use either the Magnaflow, Bosal or even the Walker Y pipe designed for the 95-97 models with an integrated cat. Use the built in cat but no second cat, build or reuse my stock pipe to go over the frame, install a universal higher flow muffler and then adapt a stock tailpipe or just create my own, maybe side exit. Im looking for optimal ground clearance, ease of replacement, and cheap. I don't really care if its loud or quiet and inspection isn't an issue for 2 more years at which time I can register it as an antique anyways

Remove you PAIR system and relocate you o2 sensors up onto the exhaust manifolds. Have run my 94 that way for several years with no issues.
An exhaust shop worth its salt can make anything. I find it hard to believe the exhaust manifold is not too hot for the sensors.

I also put mine in the manifold, works great.

Is there a spot already on the manifold(s) for them to go or are you welding on mounting bungs?
on the 93/4s there is a piece of emissions equipment in the manifolds that is not present on the 95/7s. that stuff is easily removed. once that system is removed, the O2s can be relocated to the now empty ports in the manifolds.

on the 93/4s there is a piece of emissions equipment in the manifolds that is not present on the 95/7s. that stuff is easily removed. once that system is removed, the O2s can be relocated to the now empty ports in the manifolds.
Thanks, I will check out my manifolds for this. It will help out my plan quite a bit not to have to deal with oxygen seniors further down the line. I see you are in Lebanon PA, thats about 1 1/2 hrs from me, any Land Cruiser clubs or events in this area that you know of?

keystone cruisers, look it up in the clubhouse section. centered around this area of the state. has one or two members from nj.

o2.jpg

Those look like the worst places ever to install o2 sensors.

but as time and a pretty large cross section has proven they work and last there just fine.

do you have a writeup on removing that piece of equipment? not sure what its called so I haven't been able to locate anything. there are some vacuum hoses that I'm not sure what to do with. Thanks

Why do you say that? My limted understanding is that O2 sensors mesure heat and can calculate O2 levels based on that. So honestly they should be closeest to stock location would be ideal. I have no idea how much temps change in exhaust gas being 2 feet closer to the combuation chamber. Does anyone else know this stuff?

But years ago a engine builder i was working with wanted the O2 as close to the CC as posible within reason. I dont know if this is correct. The systems we were using were early Bosh jetronics that were pretty basic back then.

But all that being said moving my O2 has worked great and has helped to avoid water and corosion in the O2 plugs. I was getting codes even with new oem O2 sensors in the original location. Once i cleaned the harnes plugs very thuroly those codes went away. Since moving them and using dielectric grease they have never returned.

This much i do know. At least with the older O2 sensors they simply show a very low "voltage" or resistance range based on heat. I honestly cant remember which it was but in the old bosch system we would check them buy hooking a multi meter to them and you could see the slight fluctuatuon. The computer then interprets that. So corosion or poor contact in the plug would screw that up for sure.

On a side note with the old bosh system i had a aftermarket fuel air ratio meter in the dash of that car. It hooked to the O2 and was reall nothing but a meter calibrated to read of the O2. I honestly cant remember if it was like .7 volts or resistance. But if you knew the right range a multi meter would tell you the same info. It was all in the FSM for that car.

This is all kind of worthless info becouse it was 25 years ago i cant remember the details. Plus old Bosh Jetronic might be totally different than what we use. So take it for what it is worth.
Those look like the worst places ever to install o2 sensors.

When you relocated the sensor wires, where did the one come from? One O2 sensor is going over the transmission and then I lose it from there

It's been a long time since I've done this so I won't be of much help. Your just going to have to look around in there and find the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom