Oxygen Sensor Musings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

devo

SILVER Star
Threads
Just mulling it over, over morning coffee, if my O2 sensors need to be swapped out after 298,000 miles? I don’t have codes telling me that they are bad?
But do they become inefficient after so much time and mileage? Should they be changed out just for the heck of it?
It came up because I did a tune up on a friends little Chevy and the Chevy FSM recommends changing out the O2 sensors after 100K miles as a PM item.

devo

GM famously engineered their cars to last 70k miles, because that was the typical length of a lease. I'm not saying you *shouldn't* replace your o2 sensors as preventative maintenance, but I certainly wouldn't base it on anything that GM says.

Plenty of sources will tell you that you should replace them at whatever interval for optimal performance and mpg, but what's that actually mean? These engines are laughably inefficient by modern standards to begin with.

Personally, I'd be checking my catalytic converters and valve clearances first, as far as performance goes.

I don’t really have performance issues and I was defiantly not comparing my Toyota to a Chevy!
I simply have O2 sensors with 298,000 miles on them. They’ve seen a lot of exhaust gasses!

I don’t really have performance issues and I was defiantly not comparing my Toyota to a Chevy!
I simply have O2 sensors with 298,000 miles on them. They’ve seen a lot of exhaust gasses!
Fix it until it's broke?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom