93-94 Cat Heat Shield Rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is supposed to keep the cat heat shield from rattling on the 93-94 exhaust? I'm able to move it by hand, but I think all four fasteners are intact. It doesn't seem to attach to anything on the exhaust. Is there a pad or something that should be on the inside?

94 LC Heat Shield.jpg

No experience with this directly on my cruiser but on other cars I have seen these shields are just a hair smaller than the converters (there will be a small gap between the parts when lined up but not bolted) and when you tighten up the bolts it pull the two together tight enough to keep it from rattling. Over time the metal can and will stretch (all those hot/cold cycles take its toll) and could become loose. You can kind of see in the image you posted there may be some metal bands on the inside that act like a spring to achieve this.

You could try replacing it or take the shield off and see if you can bend it or those bands in such a way that it will clamp tight again. You could also try getting some catalytic converter heat wrap (They make stuff specific for this not normal header or exhaust wrap due to the heat), wrap it up and put the shield back on. The wrap should fill the gaps again and keep it from rattling. The wrap will also help even more with heat transfer to the cab too.

There is a “spring” sort of piece that’s part of the shield. When the shield is bolted on this spring bar compresses. Over time the heat cycles take the spring out if the spring. I removed my heat shield a couple years ago and haven’t started any fires yet. The heat shield itself gets very hot anyway.

You could remove the shield and stuff some fire proof material between it and converters but you will probably twist off a stud or two while disassembling the clam shell.

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I see a spring in pictures of the lower shield 18434-66010. I will attempt to rivet in a new spring as I'm not able to locate header specific wrap. I may also try removing the lower cover and fastening the upper cover with the steel bands used to secure header wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom