91 Getting Hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of wanting one, I finally picked up my first lc. It is '91 and definitely a project (I don't think the previous owner ever thought about maintaining or fixing anything on it) but I am enjoying bring in back to its former glory. Anyways, a few weeks ago I took the rig up to the mountains and it started getting hot on a few steep climbs. I replaced the radiator cap (oem), thermostat (oem), and fan clutch (non-oem- toyota guy said they don't carry them anymore). I've taken it out a few times since and the first few trips things seemed to be better, but the outside temp was lower (70's instead of 90's) but on my trip out yesterday she started heating up again. Any ideas? I'm thinking about getting a Aisin fan clutch and seeing if it can move a bit more air than that cheap Napa one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oem fan clutch and change the fluid to 15k CST silicone. Your gauge will never budge above the 1/2 way mark assuming all else is good.
Radiator/fan shroud in place?

First thing is to make sure your radiator shroud is on, and hooked up correctly. Then check coolant.... when is the last time it was flushed.... including block? How about thermostat..... have you checked it (even a new one) on the stove top? Belts and hoses in good shape? If everything checks out, then yes, I'd do the clutch fluid upgrade. Good luck!

Did you do a cooling system flush (acid, basically)? 1991 is pretty old. You could have a lot of crud built up, inhibiting cooling efficiency.

If I didn't know the maintenance history or knew the maintenance history was suspect I would be replacing all cooling system parts.
Radiator - CSF (OEM is NLA)
Fan clutch - OEM (Aisin brand off Amazon)
TStat - OEM
New Belts - OEM
NEW hoses - OEM

This is all in addition to truly flushing all the old crap out of the system.

This is the first order for any 80 series I purchase that is 20+ years old. And while I know the 3FE isn't susceptible to head gasket failure like the 1FZ-FE it's still good practice to get the cooling system in proper order rather than get stranded somewhere.

Thanks for all the responses and great info. I ordered an oem fan clutch which I'll modify, install and head back up to the mountains and see how she does. I will also plan on beginning to replace the rest of the cooling system as money permits. Concerning flushing the system with an additive, does anyone have a recommendation? Anyone used BG's stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom