91 FJ80 Cigarette Lighter fuse blows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my 1991 FJ80, the cigarette lighter fuse blows as soon as I put a load on it. The thing is, the phone charger I put in there only works after I twist it and push it in a bit. Then it lights up and the fuse goes. Is there supposed to be a fusible link on the back of these 91-92 cigarette lighters?

The wires behind the dash look good.

there is a fusible link on later years at least.
Either way, sounds like you are having a short. Maybe somebody loose gets to contact something else when you push and twist?
I was not impressed by the design I must say, seemed kinda iffy.
Take it out, check, replace?
You don't want a fire under your dash.

there is a fusible link on later years at least.
Either way, sounds like you are having a short. Maybe somebody loose gets to contact something else when you push and twist?
I was not impressed by the design I must say, seemed kinda iffy.
Take it out, check, replace?
You don't want a fire under your dash.

I'm not very good with electrical matters.
If a wire is exposed, can that alone cause a short?

not if it just sits there but yes if it touches something at the opposite polarity at some point.

note that if your fuse blew, that is (sort of) good in that it did its job of protecting your circuit, but bad in that there is something very wrong with the circuit.

What jolly fun. Thanks for the help- every bit truly does help in figuring this stuff out.

There is a fusiable link in the lighter assembly, in the form of a washer-type disk sandwhiched between the contacts in the lighter. Easily removed once you get the lighter assembly out of the dash, from memory you need to remove a small nut, separate the parts and remove the fusible link, and reassemble. Portable air compressors blow this fuse almost instantly it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom