'90 FJ62 270k Miles - Transfer Case Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, starting tearing down the transfer case for a rebuild, mainly due to a whine it had developed. I has eliminated front and rear diffs as possible culprits.

Idler shaft was worn out just about as worse I had ever seen, luckily it and the bearings are included in the kit from cruiser outfitters.
Whining issue hopefully solved. This was the first time getting into this transfer case, so I wanted to get inside to get an idea of what was also needed.
Has the clunk, so I assumed it needed a McNamara output gear, and there is a good amount of wear. Went ahead and ordered one from them and it's in the way, but would like you guys to tell me what you think of the splines condition, the wear is a bit different on the spline than what I see on others. The edge of the wear is very sharp, almost like there is much less clearance than what I see on some of the others. Is the lack of play a good or bad thing? Would you call this moderate or heavy wear? Are there any changes I should make on clearance?

Regarding the idler shaft wear, the pictures don't show the depth and pitting as well as just looking at it in hand.

I also had a few questions about some other aspects, and would like some opinions (or pointers to other parts I may not be considering).

Hi/Low Shift fork - clearance between the fork and and sleeve is good, 0.63mm, but it almost looks like there had been excessive heating at the tongues. Is this a leftover factory tempering, or should sacrifice a little additional clearance to condition the tongues where they contact the sleeve? Or do I just need to chill?

Over all condition of gears - Is there anything I should be looking for outside of obvious wear? I don't see anything obvious, but I'm also not a transmission/transfer case pro.

If you guys have any hints, tricks or thoughts, I'm all ears. The clearances for for everything else are on the low end of the specs too, nothing besides the idler shaft/ bearings and tranny output shaft have any significant wear. I actually think this case may have been serviced at some point relatively recent by the previous PO (any questions I had about services performed, he would say that it was "done 2-3 years ago" which was a helluva stretch after seeing that the spark plugs, fuel filter, and other simple maintenance items were pretty old), there were signs that the case gasket was reused, and the transfer case output gear appears to have been replaced.

I'm also taking this downtime as a chance to replace the tranny pan gasket and filter screen. I'm a little hesitant to perform a full flush, but I'm thinking that screen is gonna be nasty and in need of retirement.

If had this 62 for about 4 months now, spending a half a Saturday or Sunday just working on getting everything updated on it. Once I complete this transfer case rebuild to get the whine sorted, Ill be replacing the saggy old suspension components with all new (2-2.5" of lift), and then once the springs can handle it, replace the bumpers with something a little more heavy duty. Ill likely get the OME kit from Kurt, but I'm not completely set on a front and rear bumper. I was talking with forerunner about his bumper, and really like it, my only holdup is that I'm concerned that I end up with two very different styled bumpers, probably just being dramatic. I'm not opposed to buying a used, good condition set of bumpers from someone, and getting them refinished (Ill post an ad for them shortly). Same with a roof rack.

I have been taking pictures as I was disassembling, and will continue to take them throughout the whole process. I can do a write-up with pics if anybody would like to see the steps a guy with no transfer case experience takes, lol. It really isn't a difficult job at all, just need to have a couple of tools that aren't regularly in the average persons tool cart.

Sorry for the long post, but I kinda went off on a tangent.
Thanks guys. Im looking forward to a month or two from now, when I get to start taking her on adventures and enjoying it!

IMG20221015163109.jpg

IMG20221015204310.jpg

Screenshot_2022-10-15-15-56-43-50_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

IMG20221016111404.jpg

IMG20221016111426.jpg

I'm about to rebuild my T-case this winter. How did you make out, any tips?

Hey guys, starting tearing down the transfer case for a rebuild, mainly due to a whine it had developed. I has eliminated front and rear diffs as possible culprits.

Idler shaft was worn out just about as worse I had ever seen, luckily it and the bearings are included in the kit from cruiser outfitters.
Whining issue hopefully solved. This was the first time getting into this transfer case, so I wanted to get inside to get an idea of what was also needed.
Has the clunk, so I assumed it needed a McNamara output gear, and there is a good amount of wear. Went ahead and ordered one from them and it's in the way, but would like you guys to tell me what you think of the splines condition, the wear is a bit different on the spline than what I see on others. The edge of the wear is very sharp, almost like there is much less clearance than what I see on some of the others. Is the lack of play a good or bad thing? Would you call this moderate or heavy wear? Are there any changes I should make on clearance?

Regarding the idler shaft wear, the pictures don't show the depth and pitting as well as just looking at it in hand.

I also had a few questions about some other aspects, and would like some opinions (or pointers to other parts I may not be considering).

Hi/Low Shift fork - clearance between the fork and and sleeve is good, 0.63mm, but it almost looks like there had been excessive heating at the tongues. Is this a leftover factory tempering, or should sacrifice a little additional clearance to condition the tongues where they contact the sleeve? Or do I just need to chill?

Over all condition of gears - Is there anything I should be looking for outside of obvious wear? I don't see anything obvious, but I'm also not a transmission/transfer case pro.

If you guys have any hints, tricks or thoughts, I'm all ears. The clearances for for everything else are on the low end of the specs too, nothing besides the idler shaft/ bearings and tranny output shaft have any significant wear. I actually think this case may have been serviced at some point relatively recent by the previous PO (any questions I had about services performed, he would say that it was "done 2-3 years ago" which was a helluva stretch after seeing that the spark plugs, fuel filter, and other simple maintenance items were pretty old), there were signs that the case gasket was reused, and the transfer case output gear appears to have been replaced.

I'm also taking this downtime as a chance to replace the tranny pan gasket and filter screen. I'm a little hesitant to perform a full flush, but I'm thinking that screen is gonna be nasty and in need of retirement.

If had this 62 for about 4 months now, spending a half a Saturday or Sunday just working on getting everything updated on it. Once I complete this transfer case rebuild to get the whine sorted, Ill be replacing the saggy old suspension components with all new (2-2.5" of lift), and then once the springs can handle it, replace the bumpers with something a little more heavy duty. Ill likely get the OME kit from Kurt, but I'm not completely set on a front and rear bumper. I was talking with forerunner about his bumper, and really like it, my only holdup is that I'm concerned that I end up with two very different styled bumpers, probably just being dramatic. I'm not opposed to buying a used, good condition set of bumpers from someone, and getting them refinished (Ill post an ad for them shortly). Same with a roof rack.

I have been taking pictures as I was disassembling, and will continue to take them throughout the whole process. I can do a write-up with pics if anybody would like to see the steps a guy with no transfer case experience takes, lol. It really isn't a difficult job at all, just need to have a couple of tools that aren't regularly in the average persons tool cart.

Sorry for the long post, but I kinda went off on a tangent.
Thanks guys. Im looking forward to a month or two from now, when I get to start taking her on adventures and enjoying it!

View attachment 3142140

View attachment 3142144

View attachment 3142145

View attachment 3142148

View attachment 3142149
Your output shaft splines look similar to mine when I had it apart. How did your rebuild go?

9FC914DA-47B3-4579-A8B0-E04E33793E66.jpeg

I'm about to rebuild my T-case this winter. How did you make out, any tips?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Wasn't getting notifications pushed.
It actually went together very smoothly, that macnamara input gear got rid of all the slop in shifting, and its not making any noise at all! I was really relieved when I saw the splines and then the idler shaft wear since those were what I was hoping was causing the issues.

One issue I did experience for about 75 miles after the rebuild was that I wasn't slipping into gear occasionally, especially in reverse, where it would kind of jump in and out of gear while backing up. It would just slip out, then slip[p back in a second of two later. I was pretty concerned about it for the first slow test drive around the block, but thought that maybe I just needed to sling some gear oil up into the front-most case section, Next time, I would go ahead and fill that section after reinstalling it so that it doesn't have to stay dry until oil migrates up.
I had never rebuilt any transfer case prior to this, and just did my best to keep track of the parts, and took plenty of pictures for reference.
I would give it about a 5/10 difficulty with correct tools, I needed to get a gear puller that was able to extend out to 4.5" to get the low gear off the output shaft. I also have a 12 ton press, but ended up using a couple different brass drifts to pull and seat bearings.
Send me a message if you'd like to get anymore input ( not that I'm the best person to ask, but there may be some different considerations that us shade tree mechanics have certain approaches on).

Sean

Your output shaft splines look similar to mine when I had it apart. How did your rebuild go?

View attachment 3164967
It went well. Not too bad at all.
I was really excited to have such a quiet drivetrain after getting everything settled.
Ill say all-in-all it took me about 12ish hours over 3 days maybe add 2-3 more for getting the cases, bolts, etc. all cleaned up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom