‘89 LJ70 - ‘upgrade’ 2L-T to 2L2-T, wiring help!

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by Paterno, Aug 11, 2018 at 1:27 AM.

1. Paterno

Paterno

Hi all, long time lurker 1st time poster.

I wish in had read up more before getting a ‘89 LJ70 with a 2LT.

Even worse, after catastrophic failure I bot another 2LT engine to replace it AND double trouble turns out it’s a 2LT-2 (or 2L2-T) from a 4Runner.

I have no experience with auto mechanics but have a friend with experience helping.

So far, we have:
    - removed the old engine
    - transferred the old alternator
    - bolted in the new engine
    - added a new horizontal oil filter
    - added a new simple diesel filter (bypass the original system in the car)
    - reattached the throttle linkage with a bracket
    - reworked the turbo air inlet and various other conduits

Also we will:
    - plug the additional lines from the injection pump
    - adapt the turbo exhaust for the different flange angle

Whilst I would like to make some mods I need to get this running quick and dirty as Everyday this isn’t running I am risking divorce having vetoed getting another car in favour of this engine.

That’s biggest problem we face now (as far as we know) is that the wiring harness for the 2L2-T is much more extensive than what we have available on the car.

I have trawled thru many online manuals but being a newb I have not been able to isolate the 2L2-T wiring so we can adapt to the old LJ70 setup.

So question: can one of you fine people step a newb who’s WAY over his head thru the wiring requirements.

We don’t have an AC/compressor.

Pictures to follow

Thanks in advance!

2. Paterno

Paterno

3. Paterno

Paterno

4. Dprio34

Dprio34

Media:
    @Paterno, I went down this road too.
    Don't let the wiring overwhelm you.

The most critical items are the fuel cut out solenoid and the wires going to the starter. These should plug right in to newer engine.
    (they are the same connection sizes/fitting)

I had issues with the glow plug rail, so I put in a manual heating switch, aka, Wilson Switch.
    Don't waste time trying to adapt the older to the new. You will be spinning your wheels.

Lose all the emissions wiring. Lose the EGR System. Then that 2LT-II harness will seem less intimidating.

Just use the search feature on this forum, "2LT vs 2LTII" and you can read all the drama.

Yes, you will need to do some "light" custom work to the exhaust. No getting around that.
    Any muffler shop should have you out the door in less than 1 hour or two.

Link:

2L-T vs 2L-TII LJ70 Build

Have Fun, Don

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    JimmyPrado, Paterno and GTSSportCoupe like this.
  5. Paterno

Paterno

Thanks Don, I very happy to see your message as my partner in crime is ready to throw in the towel.

I've been thru your thread a few times, must say a lot of this is new to me but I'm determined to get it sorted without having to call in an expert, especially as here in Italy very little work is done at this time of year which could mean a long wait and for sure means lots of $$$.

My main concerns are the ERG system and glow rail.

Starting with the one that's clearer in my mind, the ERG, am I correct in assuming I need to:

Disconnect / remove the ERG electrics
    Remove the EGR pipe
    Make & Add blanking plates at both ends
    Remove the throttle plate
    Block relevant vacuum tube

Thanks in advance!

6. Dprio34

Dprio34

Media:
    @Paterno, it would have been a little easier to remove the EGR system with the engine out of the vehicle, but it is still easy and straight forward.

Start at the back of the exhaust manifold near the firewall. Remove the EGR "Tube" (whatever it is called),
    and take the metal gasket and trace that over a piece of 3/16th steel or equivalent metric size.
    Cut it out with a hand grinder or die grinder.
    Use that piece block off the exhaust manifold. You don't need to re-use the metal gasket. Just put a bit of
    Black Gasket Sealant on the "blank off plate".

Now you are 1/3 of the way done.

Remove the Throttle Body / Throttle Plate. Blank off the opening where the EGR entered the Throttle Body. You can use Aluminum or Steel on this plate.
    As the Intake doesn't get as hot or have the higher pressures of the exhaust manifold.

Now you are 3/4 of the way done.

Next part - Glow Plug Rail.
    This may look totally overwhelming, but it isn't.
    Actually, you probably don't need to worry about it to get the engine started.

1st, Slightly crack the nuts at the fuel rail at the head.
    Make sure fuel is getting delivered to the cylinders.
    Have someone try to start the Cruiser and verify fuel is coming out at the rail.

I'm 99% certain if the engine is good, and it is getting fuel, the little 2L-TII will turn right over.
    Yes, it should turn over in Italy in the late summer without that glow plug rail being energized,
    (assuming that engine is in decent shape).

Once EGR system is all cleaned up, and you have a success under your belt,
    we can tackle the Wilson Switch, for that trip up to the Italian Alps where is it colder.

Some other LJ owners on the forum may be able to offer additional help on removing the EGR System while the engine is place. There are probably a few tricks & techniques to that.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions.
    In bocca al lupo,
    Don

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018 at 10:18 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.