‘89 FJ62 front lower shock mounts/spring plates (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My lovely PO broke the front lower shock mounts off and welded bolts in place instead. Those have now broken on me. I’ve sourced a used set of spring plates, new u-bolts and shocks.

Started working on it today and discovered the plates I got are slightly different than the OEM ones on the truck.

See pics. Mine (62) have an extra tunnel welded down the middle-I’m assmuiming to stiffen them. The used ones I bought (60?) don’t have this tunnel. Should I be concerned?

Eventually I plan on complete suspension upgrade 2-3” lift and will probably Bo with the u-flip style plates. For now I just want to get it back on the road so I can go back country before the snow shuts the roads down.

Thoughts?

A2620745-7504-4A09-9F3E-0254C575BB52.jpeg

3CC131DC-D4AC-4EDF-9A5E-5BF9B18CB547.jpeg

Make sure you put some never seize in the the bores of those new spring plates or you may wind up recreating the PO's fix for stripped out bolt holes. If I had it do over again I'd be welding a long bolt under there too. In all my years wrenching this one PITA shock mounting setups I've encountered.

Thanks for the tip-I hadn’t considered the previous bolts might have seized. And the used plates I got certainly had rusty/crusty threads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom