'88 FJ62 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd put together a build thread for my '88 FJ62. I've spent the past year and a half doing a mechanical baseline/restoration between myself and Carolina Offroad Outfitters(and one bum trip to Fred Anderson). Since I've got it in daily driving shape, I thought I'd explore options for bodywork and paint.

Here's the link to the detail pictures:

The body does need quite a bit of work since about every panel will need some sort of dent attention. PO was pretty rough on this truck. One of the largest areas of work needed is the roof, it'll need the most attention, but it isn't rusted. Doors have some dents that may be hard to see in the pictures, but they're not too far gone. A clean door swap would likely lower the shop bill, but may not needed.

Thankfully, the only rust area that needs attention (on the exterior) is a small spot on the passengers rear quarter, it could likely be cut and patched without needing the entire panel done.
Driver's rear lower quarter will need a new panel, since at some point in the truck's history it was damaged and repaired with bondo that's starting to fail. Additionally, I'll likely need a new/used hood panel since I've been told by COO that the main dent will pop back in with use if they take it out.

COO's quote for the paint and body was around $13k and it seems about on par for the panel work needed, but I'd like to shop around and get some opinions on chunking down the work instead of lump summing it all at once. All in all, it's not the worst shape for a project since the truck spent most of it's life in NM and TX. Frame and undercarriage are in great shape aside from needing a new exhaust from the mid to the back. I've been keeping the frame coated with fluid film every season and it's showing no signs of rusting or cracking.

Anyone here had bodywork/paint done on their rig?

Last edited:
Gonna update this with the list of mechanical work that' I've done/had done.

• Tie rod ends
  • Rear diff rebuild
  • Coolant lines
  • Power steering lines (soft return line)
  • Oil pan gasket
  • Timing gear cover gasket
  • Trans cooler lines
  • Front knuckle rebuild
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Front brakes / pads/fluid
  • All 4 shocks replaced with gas-a-just/kyb at stock ride height
  • Front transfer seal / new fluid
  • Cylinder head gasket
  • Front diff service / new fluid
  • All drive belts
  • Cold start injector cleaned
  • New windshield / seal
  • Leaf spring bushings
  • AC compressor rebuild
  • Death wobble fix (bushings/shackles/a few other bits)
  • Cruiser Corps reupholstered front seats.
  • 4 Goodyear Trailrunner tires
  • Most vacuum lines
  • A few other things I'm forgetting. All in all, I'm about $10k in mechanical maintenance done and it should be good for a long time now.

Last edited:
Wow. That is one big list! Awesome! Getting the 62 into the shop tomorrow for a fuel line leak somewhere around the top of the back of the engine.
Let me know how that goes. The fuel lines on mine seem fine, but I'd like to know what to look out for if they ever go bad.

Anyone done a cowl leak repair by removing the driver's front fender? Does it require removing/adding tack welds? I think I may finally have time to chase down my cabin water leaks this Christmas vacation.

Anyone done a cowl leak repair by removing the driver's front fender? Does it require removing/adding tack welds? I think I may finally have time to chase down my cabin water leaks this Christmas vacation.
It seems like @GLTHFJ60 and somebody else just did theirs. I believe that once the fender(s) come off, the leak is normally sealed with good old-fashioned seam sealer in a tube. 3M stuff is plenty good for this application. I need to do mine too.:confused:

It seems like @GLTHFJ60 and somebody else just did theirs. I believe that once the fender(s) come off, the leak is normally sealed with good old-fashioned seam sealer in a tube. 3M stuff is plenty good for this application. I need to do mine too.:confused:

I'll take a look at their build threads, thanks for the tip.

Yeah, just did mine again this year since I was doing the rest of the truck.

Outer fender needs to come off, then you clean and seam-seal the cowl seams. As pictured, the black is a seam sealer product. You don't need to take the truck all the way apart like in this pic, just that front fender off:

1608150614251.png

Yeah, just did mine again this year since I was doing the rest of the truck.

Outer fender needs to come off, then you clean and seam-seal the cowl seams. As pictured, the black is a seam sealer product. You don't need to take the truck all the way apart like in this pic, just that front fender off:

View attachment 2526462
Did you have to break any welds to get the fender off or is it all bolts?

Did you have to break any welds to get the fender off or is it all bolts?

It's all bolts. Where did you see that you needed to break welds? To get inside the cowl it needs to be cut apart/off, but that's not related to water leaks, not unless your cowl is rusted through on the inside.

It's all bolts. Where did you see that you needed to break welds? To get inside the cowl it needs to be cut apart/off, but that's not related to water leaks, not unless your cowl is rusted through on the inside.

I don't think I heard it was welded, but I wanted to clear that up before I started the disassembly.

Quick question, when removing the hood spring, should I add any additional disengagement steps so I don't get popped in the face by a coil?

I unbolt from the hood first, in the up position. Not much tension on it when the hood is up.

Got it off and the seams definitely needed doing. Am I missing some hose structure for water drainage here though?

Yeah, looks like I'm missing a drainage hose from this picture of another Cruiser in a similar thread. Any ideas on the part ID?

1609357773585.png

It looks like your truck has taken a hit in that area. It is likely that the tube was removed by a body shop long ago and not replaced. I doubt if not having the tube is really a problem. Lack of sealant on the seam up top is definitely a problem.

It looks like your truck has taken a hit in that area. It is likely that the tube was removed by a body shop long ago and not replaced. I doubt if not having the tube is really a problem. Lack of sealant on the seam up top is definitely a problem.
Yeah, I was surprised to see evidence of damage there. They must have replaced most everything else when it happened since everywhere else is clean.

The seam sealer is almost completely gone at the top and I’ll be adding some after I get the area cleaned and prepped.

Will the lack of a drainage hose cause issues down the road? I could always add one back once the truck is headed for body/paint.

1A222279-D26F-4221-92F4-0474BB8FCA9B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom