Free standing treehouse build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Considered nuclear but I couldn’t get permits…gonna have to just tie it into my garage panel. Couple 15 amp runs should suffice.

Rethinking this approach. Probably will not run power to the structure aside from an extension cord or use something like an Ecoflow or similar setup. Seems that anything which might make the structure appear inhabitable pushes me into the ‘need permit’ realm. Not trying to deal with city building inspectors.

Good thinking. Now you can set your windows under 24” to the floor and don’t need tempering next to the door 📞 ;)

Good thinking. Now you can set your windows under 24” to the floor and don’t need tempering next to the door 📞 ;)

That’s actually a thought I need to consider. Might end up screwing whatever windows I go with shut for liability reasons. I’m sure there will be other kids than mine will play on it. Hmm 🤔

That’s actually a thought I need to consider. Might end up screwing whatever windows I go with shut for liability reasons. I’m sure there will be other kids than mine will play on it. Hmm 🤔
Depending on style and make of window. There should be an available WOCD (window opening control device) aka child lock available for them. Or a screw will work as well. Glad to donate some child locks if they will work for your application.

Was able to get a few hours of work done this afternoon. Need to cut and install the remaining six 4x4 support braces then I’ll start on the floor joists.

IMG_4179.jpeg
IMG_4180.jpeg

Most of the floor joists are in. I’m doing my best to keep Simpson in business! The joists on the end will get sistered and extended then cut to shape for a rounded front deck profile. I hope to be installing deck boards this weekend and then framing for the house.

IMG_4185.jpeg
IMG_4188.jpeg
IMG_4189.jpeg

#EARTHQUAKEPROOF

I see houses daily that aren’t framed this well.

I made the mistake of looking at a new house being built about a mile from me. What a mess! Slab on grade NO FOOTERS! the framing was pathetic on a good day, bowed studs everywhere crowned in both directions, trusses not direct loading on studs below. Thank God I am no longer a builder, I'd have a breakdown dealing with this kind of work on my job sites.

Was able to sneak out this evening for an hour or so. Got the joists extended for the curved front porch. I cut the extensions long and then will scribe (with a string as my guide) the length and angle for each board. Still need to add tie down straps but it was getting dark and started raining again.

I’ve never done a curved deck before so this is fun to learn something new.

IMG_4191.jpeg
IMG_4192.jpeg
IMG_4193.jpeg
IMG_4194.jpeg
IMG_4195.jpeg

This is a beautiful job…anyone in your previous builds doesn’t know how lucky they are. Built my kids a tree house 35 years ago using 3 triangulated trees and some 2x10’s. That feeble attempt lasted 15 years and was a real pain to take down.

This is a beautiful job…anyone in your previous builds doesn’t know how lucky they are. Built my kids a tree house 35 years ago using 3 triangulated trees and some 2x10’s. That feeble attempt lasted 15 years and was a real pain to take down.
Thanks for the kind words!

Got the rim joist for the rear side cut and installed. Scribed and cut the joist extensions for the curved deck. Tried to bend a 1x8 to the curve and there is no way it bends that much without doing lots of relief cuts on the back side. I plan to double these up.

Picked up (35) 12’ deck boards and got them up on the platform ready to layout and start nailing tomorrow.

IMG_4197.jpeg

Time to build a steam box bro.
I thought the 1x8 would bend easy as it was soaking wet…but no. It was pulling out the fasteners. If adding lots of relief cuts doesn’t work then I’ll rip down plywood and double that up, overlapping seems.

I thought the 1x8 would bend easy as it was soaking wet…but no. It was pulling out the fasteners. If adding lots of relief cuts doesn’t work then I’ll rip down plywood and double that up, overlapping seems.

You could do something as thin as 1/8" ply and glue/layer it up. That's how ply is made anyway (more or less).

You could do something as thin as 1/8" ply and glue/layer it up. That's how ply is made anyway (more or less).
Yeah pretty much that. Only downside is the appearance of ply versus milled. I’m gonna try the relief cut approach first and see how it goes.

Was hoping to get more done this afternoon but work got in the way. I did get maybe 2/3 of the decking nailed down. Went quick since I left the boards long and will come back, snap chalk line then cut with skill saw.

My rough cut board and batten pieces are ready and I hope to pick them up on Sunday.

IMG_4200.jpeg
IMG_4202.jpeg
IMG_4203.jpeg

Deck boards (aside from the curved front) nailed down and ends cut (left a 1” overhang). Turned out nice. Going to check out some windows tomorrow and hopefully will be framing the house later this week.

53584651990_b11e46bfe9_b.jpg

IMG_4211.jpeg

This decking is really looking good…and solid. When I built my kids tree house 30+ years ago, I found some simple cheap storm windows with aluminum frames that screwed on the the siding… if I remember they were about $30 each and had locking positions for opening at 6 different heights and screens. No doubt they are 5 times that now but some times a clearance item pops up…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom