85 FJ60 225,000 miles. Can someone give me a clue on what I should plan for here. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just noticed this today. This is a seasonal driver summer time only, and less than 2000 miles a year. The other side has some crud and dried grease, but not anywhere near as much as the passenger side. I'd like to keep driving it till the fall when I have time to get it into the shop. I would appreciate opinions on what to do.
IMG_4981.JPG

IMG_4983.JPG

Read this and you’ll be up to speed. This is what it took to make a really wornout truck turn key reliable.

Time for a knuckle job. You can buy the parts yourself and if you’re handy enough you can do the work yourself. Should cost around $250-300 for parts. It’s very messy and greasy, but it’s kinda fun in a masochistic way to get your entire arm covered in grease. I’ve done the knuckles three or four times on mine and I can get it done in a weekend.

it appears that your inner axle seal is kaput, allowing gear oil from the front diff to make its way into the knuckle and is breaking down the grease contained within. Providing you're not doing long adventures in 4WD it should be okay until the fall when you can get it to a shop.

Check your diff oil level and grease in the knuckle. Add if necessary. Plug on top of knuckle will allow you to add some grease without disassembly, so you can keep everything lubed, but axle will just continue to piss that soup past the seals and be messy.

It's soooooooo much fun scrapping 3 inches of schmutz off the knuckle and housing when the time comes.

Use Marlin seals for the rebuild.

Last edited:
Look up the torque spec for the upper 4 bolt “top cap” you have bearings under there. Maybe they’re loose and allowing seepage. But yeah. Time for a knuckle job.

As mentioned- if you’re not using 4WD, it doesn’t matter
This is very true, but if that thing sits for longer periods of time it’s gonna start a puddle eventually. If you can live with your truck marking it’s territory then it’s not the biggest issue, but having a reliable front axle that you know holds it’s fluid is nice. These trucks are 4x4 for a reason.

Reactions: OSS
Thanks for are all good answers. This is the reason I hang in here. I've owned this same truck for the last 17 years, and have learned a lot. I checked the diff for oil and it was actually overfull. I must have had the last regular oil change done at the only service station here on the island. They have gone out of business, so I'm back to DIY mechanic. I'll order the parts for the Knuckle jobs, and that'll give me something to do when fishing season is over. Thanks again. Maybe when I start I'll take videos :)

Thanks for are all good answers. This is the reason I hang in here. I've owned this same truck for the last 17 years, and have learned a lot. I checked the diff for oil and it was actually overfull. I must have had the last regular oil change done at the only service station here on the island. They have gone out of business, so I'm back to DIY mechanic. I'll order the parts for the Knuckle jobs, and that'll give me something to do when fishing season is over. Thanks again. Maybe when I start I'll take videos :)
There is a great YouTube video here:

Watched it like four times before and during. Bought all my parts from Cruiser Outfitters. They have a kit with most everything you need if your other parts are in good order. I tried to buy new cone washers, but couldn't find them for a reasonable price, and I bought new 54mm nuts as some who worked on it previously looked like they used something other than a 54mm socket to remove them. They were all chewed up and dinged.

I had no real mechanical experience before. Took me awhile but was only working on it an hour or so at a time in the evenings. Also took me longer to disassemble and clean then to actually replace parts and reassemble.

Last edited:
There is a great YouTube video here:

Watched it like four times before and during. Bought all my parts from Cruiser Outfitters. They have a kit with most everything you need if your other parts are in good order. I tried to buy new cone washers, but couldn't find them for a reasonable price, and I bought new 54mm nuts as some who worked on it previously looked like they used something other than a 54mm socket to remove them. They were all chewed up and dinged.

I had no real mechanical experience before. Took me awhile but was only working on it an hour or so at a time in the evenings. Also took me longer to disassemble and clean then to actually replace parts and reassemble.

Great youtube. I will post here my experience once I get the job started.

+1 for Kurt/CruiserOutfitters kits and instructions complete with torque values/etc

OTRAMM has a series of great vids in this thread to go along with parts/kit above

Its not a difficult job.....just takes a little time, patience and about 12 rolls of paper towels, a box of gloves and a couple garbage bags for the preceeding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom