Knuckle Rebuild Video Series

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
I'm not promising anything, my video skills are pretty bad :) I figured I can do knuckles in my sleep so they'd be decent fodder for trying videos. I haven't seen the Duiser ones.
you did great brother, the duiser one got me thru my birfs so I cant complain.

Onur

11411-58050
GOLD Star

Got the second video with the knuckle centering tool done today. I may reshoot it in the future since i'm still trying to kick the flu today.

Ryan is getting old. Look at all that white beard hair. :lol:

Nice work.

Nice grease.

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

Yeah I got a hair cut Saturday. You could really see the grey last week! But hey, I'm still younger than you! I meant to give you a shout out for the grease in the video!

Question. On my 79 FJ40, I couldn't remember if there were snap rings on my warn hubs when reinstalling. It did have a bolt and washer into the axle end. Does that bolt hold the hub internals in place instead of the snap ring?

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

Yep, it's usually a snap ring on the factory hubs and a bolt on the Warns. Some of the mid 80s factory hubs we're also bolt.

Thanks, I order new snap rings and could not get them on. I was really worried I screwed them up. Great series. I will be using it for timing, electrical, etc.

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

Sometimes you've got to pull the birf out some. But if your Warns had the bolt and washer you should be all good. Glad you like the videos.

Finally got the reassembly video to upload. I think I may have been pushing what rural broadband wanted to handle.
Thanks for this vid. I also just watched the centering tool video. Very helpful.

Question: My FJ40 manual says to check for preload with the scale after assembling and torquing the upper arm and lower bearing cap in order to check for the same torque present when using the centering tool. Any reason to not do that?

I just went through the motions with the tool, my first time, and upon assembly it was several pounds less than I'd aimed for. So, I just took it apart and will retry tomorrow.

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

Checking with the scale is always a good idea. I must have left that step out of the video. I've done so many I've got a pretty good feel for the drag they should have so I rarely get the scale out.

Checking with the scale is always a good idea. I must have left that step out of the video. I've done so many I've got a pretty good feel for the drag they should have so I rarely get the scale out.
Well, just did mine again and same result - not enough preload. Not sure why I spent good money on this tool if there's so much voodoo involved. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And no, this is a new build up, I don't know what order the shims were in originally.

OTRAMM

Supporting Vendor

It's always fun when you don't have a shim pack to compare to. The centering tool will usually get you in the ball park though. It doesn't take much shim thickness change to alter the preload. If you've got one side with a shim stack that's thicker than the other I'd try taking a bit out of the thick side.

Top Bottom