'85 BJ60 Rear Differential replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Gang,
I don't believe this a strictly 3B diesel problem, but since the truck is a BJ60, I'll start here. My rear wheels locked up completely while coming to a stop the other day. I was traveling about 35 mph at the time. There was only one noise, or warning, when I let my foot off the accelerator, then everything went bad in a hurry. Towed it home, pulled the diff. cover off, and to the best of my knowledge discovered that the drive pinion bearing just shattered. Lack of gear oil was not the problem. I'm not certain at this point of the collateral damage. If anyone has experience with a solid, aftermarket, 3.7 rear differential/axle replacement, I'm all ears. There is no way that I'm going to install another used unit back on after going through this.
Cheers for any information

I just went through the same thing. I had Shimmed my ring and pinion incorrectly and it blew up after 200 kms. A good used rear 3rd member or brand new gears is your option. Have somebody that knows what their doing to set up the ring and pinion.

I just went through the same thing. I had Shimmed my ring and pinion incorrectly and it blew up after 200 kms. A good used rear 3rd member or brand new gears is your option. Have somebody that knows what their doing to set up the ring and pinion.

I absolutely will. Did you have to replace the 3rd member only? I'm hunting down components now but I'll occasionally have 3 a.m. nightmares about possible damage to the transfer case, etc.. Thanks again.

Yes 3rd member only. TCase will be fine.

I can't say enough good things about JT's Part and Accessories. Carl Montoya walked me through different products and shipped me a 3.7 differential replacement in a heartbeat. I'm back on the road. I am grateful for the JT's ad on the forum homepage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom