Rough idle after diaphragm replacement 2B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a surging idle and white smoke when I would lift off the throttle so I replaced my diaphragm. There were two tears in it. Just went for a 30 minute test drive. The white smoke is totally gone, but now I have a very rough idle that goes away as soon as I accelerate. Sitting at a stop light was a chore. Any suggestions of what I may have done wrong to cause this?

Did the diaphragm go back in correctly with the little tab facing downwards? Did the shims and spring go back in?

Relevant photos in this guide..

Last edited:
Did the diaphragm go back in correctly with the little tab facing downwards? Did the shims and spring go back in?

Relevant photos in this guide..

Thank you. There were no shims existing... there also wasn't a cotter pin holding the old diaphragm in... assume the issue could be the missing shims? There wasn't an idle issue before I replaced, and I did ensure the tab was down and seated and the spring was replaced.

Is it possible the idle was wound down with the original fault? With the diaphragm fixed the idle may need winding back up

I'll search for threads on this... new to cruisers. If an easy explanation and fix, would appreciate any tips😃

I'll search for threads on this... new to cruisers. If an easy explanation and fix, would appreciate any tips😃
On the "throttle body" you'll find a screw that sets the idle speed.. when the diaphragm fails the idle speed increases.. often people wind down the idle screw to compensate until the underlying fault is fixed.

1710634841493.png

Also check that the two hoses from the throttle body to the injector pump are in good order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom