'84, good year for 60's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

84's are fine. What is the price, condition, et cetera.

Price cures all defects. Late 84's have a split transfer case. so
if you want to do a 5 speed transplant later you can bolt it
right up.

Post some pics and asking price for a more definitive answer.

Price cures all defects. Late 84's have a split transfer case. so if you want to do a 5 speed transplant later you can bolt it right up.

All FJ60's had split transfer cases. Mid 85 there was some changes in the tranny and transfer.

If I could do it over again I would have held out for an 85-87 fj60. There are numerous advantages.

Mine is a 84 just as good as any of them (I've had a 87fj60 and a 88 fj62)..except...there is a little more work and expense involved when putting the h55 in..85 and up it's a bolt in deal. some other minor differences but if you find a rust free clean rig no matter the year it's still a Toyota it will be good...there are some out there with less miles on them..dunno the price range your looking at though..but I don't think any year was a "bad" year...

All FJ60's had split transfer cases.

If I could do it over again I would have held out for an 85-87 fj60. There are numerous advantages.

Dave-Not sure I agree. One of the beauties of FJ60s is that except for the tranny spacer on the 85-87 they are basically the same. Motor, carb, distributor etc are the same. The stuff that is different-tranny spacer, slightly different power steering box mount, are immaterial.

It is slightly easier to put an H55 in an 85 up, but the fitment issue is solvable for two drive shaft length changes, and a later linkage. Not a big deal.

I would look for a solid and unrusted 60 of any year, since rust determines how long they last and how much you'll enjoy it.

here is the description i got so far:
"For Sale. 1984 FJ-60. Daily driver. Beige with a few primer spots. 186,000 miles. New front pads, rotors, lines, master cylinder, fuel pump. Otherwise, stock. Nice interior, tinted windows, Yakima Rack, 30.5 inch tires, runs great. Noisy smog pump."
price is $1850
the problem is it is on the other coast, i would have to ship it or fly there and drive back sight unseen. im trying to spend as little money as possible to get myself in a decent cruiser that wont kill me in repairs

Let me be the first to tell you do NOT buy it sight unseen. If you cannot get out there to look at it, have someone you trust check it out. I am putting a motor in my 86 due to not adhereing to my own instincts.

I'll throw in that the heads from 81-84 2F's had a bad casting run. They are much more prone to cracking than 85+. Saying that, as long as you keep a 50/50 mix in them and keep it topped off, you will be fine.

Also, there were better colors in 83-84 then other years =)

Are you watching Craigslist in your area? How long have you been looking? It took me about two months to find the right one but it ended up only being a short hop away. If your not pressed for toime to get one ASAP, I would keep searching your local area. Just my two cents.......
PS: If you want to post your zip code and tell me what you are looking for, I will help you hunt. I LOVE huntin' for Cruisers! :)

Last edited:
FJ - What's your twenty?

i love my 84!

29579 dirty myrtle, myrtle vegas, redneck riviera (myrtle beach). i have been looking for cruisers for awhile now, my jeep is pissing my off and needs a bunch of work. if im going to pay to fix a vehicle it might as well be a cruiser. i am partial to 1987, i dont know if its because they were the last year made or what. i might keep looking till i find the one near here. or try to get the 84 for around 1200 just to have one so i can sell the jeep. what do ya'll think, keep looking or take what i can get and upgrade later? i cant wait to have one of my own so i can stop living vicariously through everyone on mud. oh yeah, i still have a year left of college so money might not be too free for a year or so. advice, comments, warnings, all are welcome. thanks again

wait and get the one you really want.

dont buy it just cause you want one buy it cause its the one that you really want.

Its all about the headliner. The later models have a better headliner so that is the only choice. :) If you think you might want a 5 speed, then it is easier if it has the spacer between the transmission and transfer case. I would buy a earlier one if it was cleaner and lower mileage. It is not hard installing a 5 speed in a earlier 60 like I did on mine. Stay away from the rust. It is not worth driving across the country in my opinion to buy a cruiser for 1800 unless it is a steal. You will pay half that in gas over the price to drive it back. I would keep looking closer. Goodluck .

Last edited:
curious if the early model 60's and the later model 60's have all the same fron end steering parts? I am trying to get a relay rod for my 86, and found one off of an 84. Are they exactly the same? Sorry for the thread hijack!

they are exactly the same

curious if the early model 60's and the later model 60's have all the same fron end steering parts? I am trying to get a relay rod for my 86, and found one off of an 84. Are they exactly the same? Sorry for the thread hijack!

They are the same. Mudrak and Cruiseroutfitters carry complete TRE kits for a good price. If you just need the rod, both of those vendors can probably help you out.

here is the description i got so far:
"For Sale. 1984 FJ-60. Daily driver. Beige with a few primer spots. 186,000 miles. New front pads, rotors, lines, master cylinder, fuel pump. Otherwise, stock. Nice interior, tinted windows, Yakima Rack, 30.5 inch tires, runs great. Noisy smog pump."
price is $1850
the problem is it is on the other coast, i would have to ship it or fly there and drive back sight unseen. im trying to spend as little money as possible to get myself in a decent cruiser that wont kill me in repairs

Geez man don't buy one from the west coast that has rust problems!

You got plenty of those on the east coast! If your gonna buy one on the west coast find one, even with high miles, that is rust free..really no big deal, hell here In Bend, OR on Craig's list, there are usually 3 or 4 clean rigs with no rust, I'll go look at any you find in central Oregon and video it for ya, as would most mudders in any part of the country.

Never heard about the Head problems on any particular model of fj60..if you don't maintain it and/or run it hot or let it freeze up..yeh it's gonna cause some problems. Particularly with the intake being right above the Exhaust..that heat uncontrolled, can warp up some stuff..forgetabout the one you list above..wait it out..

HD

Google CraigsPal & buy it: CraigsList spider you can set for specific cities & states. Go see & drive as many 60s as you can; get a Mud buddy to go with you. You'll prolly find the best rigs here 'cause few mudders would risk pissing off their brudders.

Last edited:
i love my 84!
Hey I'm just down the road in Charleston and I see LC 60's in the paper and on lots all the time. I got my 85 FJ60 in North Charleston two years ago. Good Luck and dont rush into any 60 sight unseen!! Sorry hit wrong quote button but u all get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom