84 FJ60 Resto, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can I just say how awesome it is that you are putting a TOYOTA V-8 in this already bad a$$ cruiser! Kudos my friend, kudos!

I saw the picture and laughed until I read that it was the 1UZ....that put me in my place real quick. Nice work, can't wait to see this finished.

Hauled the Lexus to the scrap yard yesterday - can't believe the going rate for car scrap - with no engine or trans I got $520 - that's $120 more than I paid for it & I got to keep the drivetrain !!!

Got a few more minutes on the 1UZ today. Priority was assessing the top end for overall condition & to understand what all needs to be replaced.
The engine had 210 psi compression on all 8, so the only other thing left to check was for sludge under the valve covers and/or valve build up - both passed with flying colors! :beer:

Couple pics. Love the wide block look of the 1UZ.
IMG_8607.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG

Super clean under the valve covers:
IMG_8613.JPG

Next step is getting the 350, Ranger OD, trans, and T-case out. Keep your eyes peeled - I suspect some stuff will be hitting the classifieds!

Worked on cleaning up the 1UZFE on Friday - sorry no pics.

No work on the cruiser today/yesterday - too busy picking up & unloading a few new pieces of equipment:

IMG_8672.JPG

- 9x42 Bridgeport J Head (series 1) - w/ power feed, DRO, and a bunch of other goodies. Came out of a machine shop in Indy that was going out of business
- Sheldon TE-1236P lathe. Birthday present from a good friend of mine. She'll need some cleaning up, but all in all looks to be a solid piece.
- Kick punch (not sure what the actual name is. . .). It's not pictured but it's a killer piece of nostalgic equipment; capable of punching 1/8 sheet. Came with dies from 1/16 - 1.5", plus a bunch of slotted, d-shape, and other custom dies. Also came from same machine shop.

I'm going to need a bigger shop. . . .:beer:

I'm going to try to order a VFD for the mill & lathe while in Japan. With any luck, it'll be waiting for me when I get back in August.

Would be real easy to adapt 4 downdraft Webers onto that manifold.

Yeah, that would look pretty slick - I know alot of the Lexus guys run individual throttle bodies - 8 of them look pretty mean.

For me, I've got to stick with fuel injection - not much of a carb fan at all. . . .:meh:

WOW!!! SKINNER you have blown me away with your skills and this build. I love seeing the older trucks redone and better than from the factory. That V8 will be awesome.....

WOW!!! SKINNER you have blown me away with your skills and this build. I love seeing the older trucks redone and better than from the factory. That V8 will be awesome.....

Wow!! awesome build...:clap:

hats off to you man... got some skills... :popcorn:

can't wait for some more updates... :hmm:

Thanks fellas - sitting in the Detroit airport on my way back to Japan as I type. Going to focus on getting the 1UZ swap materials ordered while I'm gone - hope to put some time into the 60 when I get home in August.

We have our 2nd little one due in September - would be nice to have drivetrain in & running by then!! Can't blame a guy for aiming high, right? ;)

We have our 2nd little one due in September - would be nice to have drivetrain in & running by then!! Can't blame a guy for aiming high, right? ;)

OK B, to hell with the props on the build. Dude, congrats to you and the Mrs's! :cheers:

As far as work, definitely keep doing what you gotta do. I know it's strenuous traveling and being there with what's happened since March, but it provides $ for the family and this project.

Best yet, in some sort of way it ensures things will be back up to speed for the parts, vehicles, and supplies to the U.S. Market.

Get us some pics while there this time around. :D

Last edited:
OK B, to hell with the props on the build. Dude, congrats to you and the Mrs's! :cheers:

As far as work, definitely keep doing what you gotta do. I know it's strenuous traveling and being there with what's happened since March, but it provides $ for the family and this project.

Best yet, in some sort of way it ensures things will be back up to speed for the parts, vehicles, and supplies to the U.S. Market.

Get us some pics while there this time around. :D

Thanks brother - we're really excited to be having number 2!

Yeah, the travel is what it is - I really love what I do. So, while it sucks that it takes a toll on my projects, it comes with the territory.

As for pics, sorry man - I stopped bringing a camera over here 10 trips ago!!

Awesome build! Since your a Toyota engineer maybe you could get them to do a retro 40 simular to how ford brought back the Thundebird and VW did the bug. Dodge seems to be doing really well with their retro styled cars. And while were dreaming how about some diesel Landcruisers like the ones I saw in Iraq or a solid axle FJC.

All joking aside I applaud you build thread and your skills. Definately going to be a head turner.

HI!!!

I cannot upload the pictures here, but you could see the pictures here: SJ413 - Gonzalo Bravo - Página 31 - TwistedAndes

There you could see the groove that I have to made over the "Jeep" output shaft to place the retainer.

The tranny is out of a Cherokee, where I used the output shaft, the adapter and the NP232 (just the low section).

Let me know if something is no clear

rgds

What's that. . . back from the dead?

Well, I'm not exactly dead. But, I have been out of the country more than in this year & the 60 has been the least of my priorities.

However, I'm back home, have 17 days straight off work, and don't go back to Japan until the end of January. So, around my side jobs, I'm squeezing time in for the 60.

Too bad all the stuff I'm working on now doesn't help me get any closer to finishing this thing. . . but a 1UZFE - A341E powered 60 is pretty cool. :grinpimp:

Here are some pics:
Body Off (Again):
IMG_0003.jpg

Out with the "Old":
IMG_0007.jpg

To make room for the "New":
IMG_0004.jpg

Speaking of out with the "old", I'll be listing the 350, ranger overdrive, trans and t-case in the classifieds.

Merry Christmas everyone!

:D

YAY!

Glad you're back with US

so what transfer case are you going to use with this combo? Do you have to use all new gauges or can you make the ones in the 60 work? Do you have to tune the ECM or are you running the standard cal for the LS400? So many questions!!:popcorn:

so what transfer case are you going to use with this combo? Do you have to use all new gauges or can you make the ones in the 60 work? Do you have to tune the ECM or are you running the standard cal for the LS400? So many questions!!:popcorn:

Going to run a Dana 300 case; picked one up a couple months ago - of course this means a rear axle swap; leaning towards an 8.8 with factory disc.

I'm planning on running stock gauges & stock tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom