84 bj46 long term maintenance, repair and upgrade- making it mine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's amazing how a little finishing make something look so professional. "Back from the Powder coater" is one of my favorite things to say. They burn it at 500c, shot blast it and then coat it. Cost me $30.

IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG

Pete

Got them installed. The slim uninstrut worked out perfect for the top cross bars. I suppose I could even use it to mount something small if need be.

IMG_0131.JPG

Pete

The battery mount, and the install, is very professional looking. Of course, I would expect that from what I've seen in the past of your work.

Don

Thanks for the compliment Don. I try to do as well as I can but as a result it takes a long time to make progress. The hinged hold downs were from the original trays so that helped a lot.

Yesterday I ran a wire from the Espar heater into the cab which will trigger a relay to turn on the cab heater blower automatically when the coolant reaches 30*c 86*f. Then the Espar/battery instal project will be complete. It took over a year to get it done- but looking back over the last year I've:

Added lift springs

Painted and installed 16x7's with 255/85's

Completed the dif armor and completely rebuilt the front axle

Added the 4+ bumper

And performed all the regular body and mechanical maintenance.

All the while using it as my daily driver....

Not an bad year!

Just found this thread mate very nice cruiser I've always wanted a bj44 or 46

Yeah the middle wheelbase trucks are a good compromise between off-road capability and being able to carry stuff. It's nice that it's long enough that I can sleep in it and despite being a two door it works out OK with the kids in the backseat. Especially since it's a soft top. There's something about having a limitation to the space that is kind of a good thing in that you really have to think about what you want to take and carry with you all the time.

For example I've always wanted a highlift or something that I can pull myself backwards with but I've never bought one just because I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the space. Well I went out today with the kids in the snow I got halfway up the mountain in the front tire fell into a drainage ditch ithst was was buried in the snow. I needed to pull myself back out of the ditch and I started getting concerned that we might be spending the night.

We weren't that far out so I wasn't that worried about it. Just sleep till the morning get up and walk out. In the end I managed to get out with just a shovel. If need be I had the factory Jack And that probably would helped out as well. But I can see how if those methods had to work I would've been pretty relieved of had that highlift to pull myself backwards with so I'm reconsidering……

I've held off of years just because the space considerations but in the end the peace of mind might be worth having it

Pete

So a little hiccup in the goodness of my cruiser life- my new 16x7 wheels that I painted and clad with 255/85-16 tires were stolen. Along with them went 2sets of wheels for my 73 BMW.

And- one set of the BMW wheels is on an online auction right now. I know their mine cause these wheels are somewhat rare especially in Japan where there there were not many BMW around back in the day- and their for sale locally. There are other clues that make it obvious but- no proof. The only way I could prove they're mine is if I shell out the $800 their asking for them and hope that some of my fingerprints are on them when the arrive- a long shot....

These were mine dammit!

IMG_0367.PNG

So from now on I'll be adding a stamp or hidden signature of some type to all my future wheels etc.

On with the good side I came across the rare wheel set from a Japanese defense force truck. They are 18 x 6" with a 0 offset and take a 215/85r18" tire.
IMG_0354.JPG

The tire measures out to almost 33" so almost the diameter of a 255/85-16 but the width of a 7.50 so they fit under the fenders and can pass the yearly safety inspection. Here next to my current 7.50 snow tire:
IMG_0355.JPG

Cool size! Also I could put on a 7.50r18....... at 35x8.5" it's the ulitimate tall skinny tire....

Anyway looks pretty decent with the 3 inch lift I have. And I still have room to fit snow chains. At $200 for the set I think I did all right.

IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG

Pete

Okay, I liked your post cause the new shoes look really good.

But what the heck on the theft?!?! Is this kind of crime common there? Aren't the police helping you? Seems they would be VERY interested in that auction listing..

Well tire and wheel theft- I have recently learned- is very common! The police can only help me in terms of the stuff in the auction if there is some kind of identifying mark that only I would know and there is not unfortunately.

There looking into it but there's a good chance that the people who are selling the wheels in the auction bought them from someone else. All they have to do is claim that "they don't remember who they bought it from because they buy stuff from people all the time."

Pete

Yep. I'm renting a space to keep my old BMW and my 81 bj44. I hope to add a lift etc and move my tools over the way as well. Needless to say I'll be taking some precautions before I do so!

Pete

Nothing angers me more to be honest. I'm generally a peaceful non-violent type but.... The thing that upsets me most is that it's actually a viable form if income. These guys can get away with this apparently. They just grab the low hanging fruit.

It's a good thing I found these new wheels and tires to be excited about and that they were very very affordable because otherwise I just dwell on it.

And a possible new distraction……

IMG_0390.JPG

Long term project. It's not in my hands yet and I may not be able to get it but I played my card will see what happens.

Pete

Last edited:
That LV is in great shape! How is the interior? Mostly there?

So far all I've have is that photo. All I know about it is supposedly the original owner and he claims the truck is mostly original and has very little rust. And even this information is all secondhand. Unfortunately I can't make direct contact with the owner so I can't take a more active role in terms of getting information etc.

Pete

That sucks Pete ... do you space for a new toy? You may want them to take those wheels :meh:

I grew up in a high tire theft area growing up... a buddy had his rims and tires stollen three separate times ... those wheel locks suck because the Theaves have them as well

Yep- I have space for the truck in the storage building that I'm renting. I don't know if I can get the truck or not but if I can I might I just have to have another kid to fill it up. It would be a family car at any rate as the kids are getting a little bit too big to climb in and out of the soft top sides. Although I must say the full floater we are axle makes a good step!

Pete

So I put my recovery equipment to a good test today. I carry a 50 foot rope, a 100 foot rope, 125 feet of rope on the winch, a pulley, two straps and three soft shackles. Based on my experience today I'd say my kits complete enough for my needs. I really didn't think I was going to get out of this without shearing the pin (I also carry spare in addition to a hammer and punch )on the winch but somehow I managed.

After a day of getting stuck in half melted mountain snow
IMG_7248.JPG

IMG_7252.JPG

I decided to take a quick trip down to the river on the way home. Well it turned out not to be so quick as is often the case I suppose. After finding a way around obstacles that were supposed to keep me from getting down to the river and doing a good run around on all the river rocks I decided to cross over this innocuous pile of sand.

Well I crossed over on the sand and started to sink in immediately stopped. Just the vibration from my little mighty 3b liquefied the sand underneath the truck just like when you vibrate concrete. The truck just sank down so I immediately killed the engine but I was already down below the axles. I stepped out of the truck and my boot just sank. Just look at the the front shackles and you can tell what I'm involved in.

I've been stuck down to the floor in mud. But I don't think I've ever been quite this stuck. It doesn't look so bad but that quicksand is heavy stuff.

IMG_7253.JPG

IMG_7254.JPG

I did 2 pulls and re-rigged each pull twice. One pull to the pillar in the picture below got me out of the really soft stuff but just to a small island of dry sand. After I made it to that I tied off to a second pillar off to the right and was able to pull up a sand slope to another dry area that I could drive out from.

So 100' rope around the pillar to a 50' rope to the pulley.
IMG_0401.JPG

What I learned- synthetic rope is a good thing. The second pillar was in the water- snow melt- i really wasn't interested in going for a swim. I tossed out the rope and it floated downstream. The second rope has closed thimbles (heavy) so I tossed it out over the floating line and was able to pull the floating rope to shore.

Pete

Lifetime supply of treasure/ 10x 8.25 Xzl's
IMG_1009.JPG

And then there's this to:
IMG_1010.JPG

Shawn- The proprietor of inner air make me a custom set for a 6 inch wide rim. The tube is a little bit small looking but I figure since the tube doesn't actually hold weight of the car the truck it will probably be all right.
IMG_1022.JPG

Looks like I'm building a Lowrider.
IMG_1033.JPG

I couldn't Center the valve stem on the wheel because it would've hit the brake caliper. As it is it just clears and I did have to grind away part of the inner wheel shell to get a flat spot
IMG_1036.JPG

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom