8274 Merging new control to old solinoid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have scoured the net for days looking for an answer, and found none. Just passing comments that it wont work.

I have an older 8274, and needed a new 3 wire control pack and remote. I thought I explained that clearly when I ordered, but apparently not.

I got a new style remote (grey with side to side toggle, not the black with up and down chrome switch) and a new style control pack AKA Solinoid cover, with the plug in the side, not in the front. I guess the 5 wire new set up.

The wiring schematic I got with it, is set for different or I guess new style solinoids. with the smaller posts in the front or top of the solinoids, and 4 flat buss bars.

Has anyone run into this situation before and been able to wire up the new control pack/remote to the old style solinoids?

If so what wires did you use? and plug them into where? Im not interested in cutting up a brand new control pack to "make it work" if I dont have to, but also dont want to deal with shipping these parts back and incurring a restock fee.

My options as I see them, are send these back and get the correct ones.

Order a new solinoid pack for a few hundred bucks to make these parts work.

Plug the wires on the new stuff to where they belong on the old solinoids and hit the button to see if it works....

Cut out the 5 wire plug itself, and put in a 3 wire plug, however I dont think warn sells just the plugs. Plus I dont know if the new remote, would work in an "old" three wire plug.

The new control pack has one black "to motor ground" wire
1 Red wire
2 white wires
2 green wires
and 4 brown wires.

any help is appreciated.
IMG_3143.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG
IMG_3145.JPG

FWIW, I am still curious. but explained the situation to 4wd parts and they will take back the parts, and exchange them for the "correct" ones. no hassle

Thanks for the diagram, That is one of the cleanest layouts I have come across.

I had my old parts wired in correctly. Just a matter of getting the proper parts to put it back together to where it once was.

All of the solenoid packs do the same thing, even though they look different and are wired slightly different. They switch the direction in which current flows through the field windings, either F1 to F2 or F2 to F1. The controller just energizes two of the solenoids at a time to do this. The old style, 3 wire controller just switched the hot side of the solenoid, which is grounded to the case. IIRC, the new 5 wire controller also switches the ground wire to the new solenoids that have a separate ground wire. This makes it harder for malicious people to jump across the pins w/o the controller to run the winch. To use the new controller, I think you only need to find the wires for the hot side. This is a single pole, double throw switch. Having the schematic diagram for the controller would make it easy, but you can figure it out with an ohm meter and switching it back and forth to find the poles. The schematic for the old style switch is shown in the diagram above.

Does the new-style solenoid pack use a different plug?

Yes, even though the plug diameters are the same. Old-style plugs are 4-pin and new-style are 5-pin.

The picture above seems to show 6-pin???

I'll have to take a look.

there are six socket positions in the female half of the connector, but only five are used. In any event, you can't use the old controller on the new-style solenoid pack. If you buy a (new style) solenoid pack from Warn, it comes with the new controller.

I know my 5 plug control workes on both units ... but the old 3 plug control wont work on the newer winch ...found out the hard way one day

Just an update some months later my correct parts arrived today from GOWARN.com......

For information purposes this is for an older 80's era 8274 which has the older solinoids and a three wire set up.

The part number is 16296 Description: (MTO) S/P Socket Kit, Retro, 3. Thats how it reads on the bag, This is the socket only with the standard three wires on the back, White, Green and Black. Two phillips screws and bolts. and the snap on cover to keep water/mud out. This is to replace a damaged or missing socket. where your remote plugs into on the winch itself.

Part number 28461 Description: (MTO) SP Housing, Solenoid

This is the plastic solinoid cover with the hole in the middle on the front of the "W" that the above socket screws into.

Cost: as per my invoice Socket Kit was $27.99 and the solenoid housing was $34.99

So if anyone tells you you cant get the older wiring stuff they are full of Sh#%.

Hopefully this will be helpfull if someone just needs a solinoid cover, or socket or vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom