Builds '81 Trekker ReDistruction (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What I’ve done before is replace the pickup tube complete and silver soldered in the flange.

@beno Santa hooked it up with a later pickup pick up.
IMG_20190101_161035.jpg
IMG_20190101_161056.jpg
IMG_20190101_161028.jpg

Today was a big day!
The wiring harness to the tail lights was roached!

It was so bad I just cut it out and tossed it in a bin during teardown to get it out of the way.

I had poked at it here and there during this rebuild, trimmed out the brittle stuff, bought a weather proof connector and preped it for reconstructive surgery.

Today I walked in the shop, soldering iron and flux in hand, fired up the heater and went to it!
Three hours later, had all tail/marker/back up/brake lights working as they should.
IMG_20190108_134648.jpg
IMG_20190108_152346.jpg
IMG_20190108_145755.jpg
IMG_20190108_145438.jpg

IMG_20190108_141121.jpg

This is awesome, excellent work! Brings back some memories, I loved my Trekker, such a unique and fun to drive rig. I’ll be watching this for sure! :popcorn:

Thanks to @wngrog and his Project Patina, I'm gonna get this thing all sealed up.
He used and seems to stand by this 3M strip sealant. It stays pliable, feels like the stuff OEMs use to stick the plastic vapor barrier between the door card and inner door.

I will use it where the bed joins the cab upon final assembly.
And I have used it to clean up the gaps between the fiberglass bed and the tail lights since no foam or rubber gasket ever exited there.
Little cleanup and they'll look better than it ever did new.

It's crazy to me, all these little details when it's so close.

Got myself a carpet kit for the cab off of eBay. I'll pull the seats, lay down a bit of sound deadener and the carpet the next time I touch it.

I have also recently pulled each wheel to tend to whatever was needed.
Front calipers (exercised) opened all the way and pumped back tight, fronts we're dragging a bit, this helped. Adjusted wheel bearings, found a bit of play in the lower trunnion on each side. I'll leave this for now. Whole front axle needs going through, but I have a plan :grinpimp:

The rear was okay, I pulled the drums and cleaned up back there. Ordered some new e-brake bell crank pivots and hardware from @beno to reserect the ebrake.

I have changed all the oils, it's full of coolant...
Need to dump some ATF in the PS and check for leaks.

I have fianlly stabbed the gas tank, with new rubber lines. I'm gonna fill it and run the engine on an alternate source at first to flush the rest of the old gunk from the fuel system.

I still need to fasten the bed and cap down.
They have been kind'a half installed since it's return from the fab shop. I should pull all of it and do it right, seal it all up.
I think I'll leave the windows and hatch off for now.

I am craving driving this thing the way I used to want to ride a motorcycle come this time of year. :steer:

Oh, and it's registered and insured! :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom