Builds 80 series where to start! Again.... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, they could go in but I am waiting until I buy the black carpet. So I can do it all at once without having to pull the seats out again.

Any pics of the truck? Are the seats in it yet?

Not trying to steal business from NLXTACY but OREILLY Auto carries Gates, has some greenstripr in stores and can get any size in stock.

Back when I was looking, all three O'Reillys near me said they had it until I got there and had to explain to them that Gates hose is not the same as Gates Green Stripe.

This is good to know! haha.

I did look at your rear heater bypass kit, but it was missing some things for a complete bypass (I know you inherited the kit) but I knew I wanted a complete bypass and didn't want to have to buy 3 kits, but knowing you sell it by the foot makes it easy!

Hmm, what's missing? I'd much prefer to offer a full kit. No one else has mentioned anything missing.

Back when I was looking, all three O'Reillys near me said they had it until I got there and had to explain to them that Gates hose is not the same as Gates Green Stripe.
Could have ordered the roll of it for you. Not many stock green stripe but is possible.

Haha I saw that it is awesome I swear it is like someone was reading this thread. haha, very nice to have unlimited funds and resources! No way this project could ever go that low, I do wish I could drop it further but without getting pretty radical it just can't happen. Pretty wild they hit 220mph though!

Funny, they even exited the exhaust where I have talked about doing it!

tmg-article_main_wide_2x.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
And no I am not actually delusional enough to think the two are actually the same but given the 20 year age difference and the probably $250-300k difference in development costs I think they are pretty close. Ha!

Wow! My Hypertune manifold showed up today, let me just say that this thing does not disappoint!! I thought maybe trying to rush it to market would leave a few things less than polished but this thing is a masterpiece!

If you are going the big boost route, you want a front facing manifold, or you just want to add some bling do not hesitate to order one, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

IMG_2008.JPG

Thank you sir for making my day. That thing is gorgeous. I dont think I have ever been this excited to see a vehicle I have never seen, built by a person I have never met get completed!

Dummy for test fit mocked up. This will force me to clean up a bunch of things under the stock manifold and relocate the power steering reservoir but a lot of the stuff under the stock manifold shouldn't be there anyways! Lol

Since this is a dummy we can still change the angle and location of the throttle body. This looks pretty good to me but any other opinions?

View attachment 1314966

View attachment 1314967

View attachment 1314968

View attachment 1314969

I was looking at these pictures. I was wondering some aspects of you build.
What coils do you plan to run?
Are running an external mounted crank sensor? I assumed that the sensor was in the distributor.
Is there any advantage in going shimless buckets like some supra guy go? Would like you input.
Can't wait to see this done.

On page 7, I wrote of how I would be using an ATI damper for crank position, the cam position will stay in the distributor but the cap and rotor will be removed and replaced with a cover.

On page 10, I detailed the replacement of the shim over buckets to the lifter valves which are a shimless design and even included all the part numbers and details so the others could try it.

Many people have found plug and play Toyota coils, but I will likely just use LS coils, since they are easier to get.

I was looking at these pictures. I was wondering some aspects of you build.
What coils do you plan to run?
Are running an external mounted crank sensor? I assumed that the sensor was in the distributor.
Is there any advantage in going shimless buckets like some supra guy go? Would like you input.
Can't wait to see this done.

Well it isn't really for the rest of you. You're just lucky it is what I want. :flipoff2: lol

So ATI has an option where you can add a crank trigger wheel shell to one of their dampers. And I have crossed a Ford damper to work on the 1FZFE so it might be possible. I haven't reached out to ATI yet.. And I know that Ross has an option of adding crank trigger to their dampers as well and they have a 1FZFE damper. SO we will see.
ATI-AEM-sheel-m.jpg

Another small piece of the puzzle. If this one works it is going to be my best idea yet! Lol

So the 80 uses a shim on bucket design. Where under the cam you have a bucket that sits on top of the valve and spring and then you adjust lash by adding a thin shim to the top of that bucket.

Something similar to this.
toyota-2jzgte-shimless-bucket-package-24-pieces-6.gif

In situations where you have increased the spring pressure, or increased the lift, or increased the lift speed of the cam, or increased the RPM's, you have the potential of that shim being pushed off the bucket because of spring bounce and banging around inside the head causing all kinds of problems.

One way to get around this is to do a shim under bucket design where you place the shim inside the bucket and it spaces the bucket up to the cam. The only problem with this is if the bucket wasn't designed to wear against the cam you get accelerated wear, metal flake, or if the bucket has lips to retain the shim they catch the cam.

This had been figured out 9+ years ago on the Supra's using later MR2 buckets. In the Supra it also reduces a lot of weight from the valve train. But obviously the MR2 buckets are way too small for the 1FZ.

So the Nissan series of engines including the GT-R, use a shimless bucket for the cam to ride on and compress the spring and move the valve. They accomplish this by offering many different sizes of "lifter-valves" these have the "shim" built into the underside of the bucket.

I know I am probably going to have to mill the underside to get it to match the valve lash perfectly, but you get a shimless system, a hardened bucket that even has a DLC (Diamomd Like Coating) on the face to reduce friction and eleminate wear!!

I won't know for certain if they will work until the Ferrea stuff gets here but that is supposed to be Monday.

Until then check these bad boys out! Lol

View attachment 1066496
View attachment 1066497

The end goal is called a Doctor of Nursing Anesthetic Practice, it is to an Anesthesiologist, as a Nurse Practitioner is to an MD.

I kind of like to think of it as not crazy and more eccentric. Could I have gone out and bought a new STI, Evo, etc with the amount I am going to spend on a dumb old truck. Yep sure could have. But how many of those do you see driving around? lol. I guarantee you will not see another dumped 80, on Volks, anywhere in the US. Sure there might be a reason for that, hence the eccentric. ha.
This is awesome! A nurse anesthetist knocked me out for a surgery I had on my foot about 6 months ago and he was the coolest dude. Props for sticking it out through all that school! I'm trying to decide what to do school-wise. I've been in the medical field for years but all my school has been for engineering. It's neat to see someone in the medicool field thats into cruisers!

JGonzales,

I wish I could say it has all been roses so far, but there is a fair share of manure as well. I am not sure how old you are, or what position you held in the military, but I am 38 and would probably have been considered senior management at the job I quit. There is a lot of re-learning how to shut your mouth and soldier on, even when you know the professors are wrong. There is also some posturing to scare the young kids, i.e. if you miss a class you are out of the program, teachers that have no real world experience but have only been in college for 10 years and are younger than you trying to tell you how to manage, etc. But all in all it has been a good experience. If you are considering the Doctor of Nursing Anesthetic Practice, be warned that all of colleges are extending their programs from 5 to 7 years. So if you are still young, say under 30-32, you really need to weigh out the fact that MD Anesthesiologists are about an 11-12 year program with an average salary of around $600k/yr vs DNAP that are between $220-320k/year with a 7 year program.

Good luck on whatever you chose, if you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

Ryan.

This is awesome! A nurse anesthetist knocked me out for a surgery I had on my foot about 6 months ago and he was the coolest dude. Props for sticking it out through all that school! I'm trying to decide what to do school-wise. I've been in the medical field for years but all my school has been for engineering. It's neat to see someone in the medicool field thats into cruisers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom