80 Series Underdrive high range gears and 3:1 low range gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello everyone. I’m running 40s on 5.29 nitro gears. Would you guys still recommend doing of this this to my transfer or just the low range ? Right bow my speedometer is perfect with the 40s and the 5.29 gear. Any Info is appreciated thx in advance

Hello everyone. I’m running 40s on 5.29 nitro gears. Would you guys still recommend doing of this this to my transfer or just the low range ? Right bow my speedometer is perfect with the 40s and the 5.29 gear. Any Info is appreciated thx in advance
You'd probably get more of a response in the 80 series section. I haven't driven that combo so I don't have much insight. I guess it really depends on whether or not you feel the need for more torque.

Yes, the 80 section is the place to ask.

Some people, myself included, are running 37’s, 4.88’s, high range underdrive and low range gear reduction with good results on and off road. Highway speeds are still in the 75 mph range with no problem. 40’s, 5.29’s and t-case gears should have similar results, but I suggest asking your question in the 80 series tech section.

edit - Now running 37’s with 5.29’s and 25% low range reduction gears only. This combination is a good balance between on and offroad performance. I’m able to drive 80mph on Utah highway. Descents and rock crawling are more controlled. Very happy with the combination.

Last edited:
Lower the better I have 488 with the 10% underdrive with 38s & love it. 5:36 final.

The 10% high gear set does not effect the speedo.

39s with 5.29s and low range gears. When I moved up from 37s I felt a all around loss of power so I had the 10% underdrive gears installed now it feels like it's on 37s again, climbs up obstacles better and helps alot in deep sand. Roles down the highway at 75.

Thx guys you guys are all awesome really appreciate all the help I’m going to go ahead and do them. If somenor doesn’t mind posting a link to a website where I can do all this I would really appreciate it. You guys think it would be smart to do the part time spool kit fron Marlin crawler while at it ?

Hey Ryan,
hope all is well with you
after doing the transfer case re-gear both high and low. is there a reason why gear oil will come out of the breather tube? currently have 4.88 in the axles.

Gear oil coming out of your axle breathers or transfer case? I have about 8k miles on the low range reduction and UD gears. No issues what so ever.

hello,
this is a old treat but .... I have problem instaling this gears in a HF2A fron a lc105 ... I already chance the imput shaft ... but when I close the case... the shaft doesnt aline... do I need force it.... I dont thinks... I have 3 day looking all over the internet if the transfer parts are the same ...

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom